Huge leap for the ANTZ, E-cigarettes Are Just as Addictive as Tobacco, Thanks to Pyrazine Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
http://www.newsweek.com/e-cigarettes-are-just-addictive-tobacco-thanks-pyrazine-additives-342447

News week posted this article that claims based on the linked study that the use of additives called ‘pyrazines' increase the addictiveness of e-cigs. The only thing the study is not even looking at e-cigs, nor is ‘pyrazines' is an additive in most e-juice; I know of one type has been used in some tobacco flavors.

Experimental use of electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) has been rapidly increasing among teens.105–108 Not surprisingly, the liquid flavour fluid formulations of ENDS include pyrazine additives such as 2,3,5,6-tetramethyl-pyrazine (0.9–1.5%), 2,3,5-trimethylpyrazine (0.3–4.5%) and acetylpyrazine (0.4–1.6%),109 which also appear on the aforementioned lists of cigarette additives. Taken together, pyrazines appear to increase product appeal and make it easier for non-smokers to initiate smoking, more difficult for current smokers to quit, much easier for former smokers to relapse into smoking, and may mask the risks of both active and passive smoking.

In the discussion section of the paper there is this paragraph but I could not find any testing taking place to support the statement below in the use of Pyrazine in e-juice.

Last edited:

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Yet pyrazines have been used in food flavoring for over 50 years, wheres all the outrage about that?

Hilarious how they make the jump from a study about cigs whose thesis statement uses the word "might" and then apply that in a roundabout way to e-cigs.

I seriously question what @#$%ing planet these people live on sometimes.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
From the Perfumer's Apprentice site:

Tetramethyl-pyrazine 10% (PG)

taste description: Nutty, musty, cocoa, drying, peanut-like and raw coffee notes

Acetyl Pyrazine 5 PG
taste description:
at 10.00 ppm. Roasted, nutty, bready and yeasty, with popcorn and corn chip nuances
good for graham gracker flavors (enhancer)

Trimethyl Pyrazine 10% (PG)
2,3,5 Trimethyl Pyrazine diluted to 10% in Propylene Glycol heart/mid note
nutty musty earthy powdery cocoa roasted peanut

Tase Description: Raw, musty, nutty, potato

OMG they put flavors in ecigs!:shock: Is this why you can't eat just one peanut?

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I couldn't access the Newsweek article (as I was told I needed a subscription), nor could I access the other article posted in this thread (it said it was an invalid web listing).

But it appears that the Newsweek article (and perhaps the other one) were referencing a new study published in Tobacco Control at
A study of pyrazines in cigarettes and how additives might be used to enhance tobacco addiction -- Alpert et al. -- Tobacco Control
that studied old Philip Morris documents on cigarettes from several decades ago.
I couldn't find e-cig mentioned anywhere in that study.

But a news story, which referenced that Tobacco Control article as its source, and almost certainly was generated by the authors of the Tobacco Control article (who staunchly oppose vaping) at
Additives in low tar ('light') and e-cigarettes may reinforce nicotine dependence
misrepresents the study as pertaining to e-cigs.

Looks like another bait-and-switch hatchet job demonizing e-cigs by unethical junk scientists (funded by NCI) and some sleaze bags in the news media.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
While I haven't seen it yet, the Newsweek article cited above was referencing the study in Tobacco Control that I posted in my comment above, as that study contained the one sentence (posted above) that mentioned e-cigs.

"Experimental use of electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) has been rapidly increasing among teens.105–108Not surprisingly, the liquid flavour fluid formulations of ENDS include pyrazine additives such as 2,3,5,6-tetramethyl-pyrazine (0.9–1.5%), 2,3,5-trimethylpyrazine (0.3–4.5%) and acetylpyrazine (0.4–1.6%),109 which also appear on the aforementioned lists of cigarette additives."

Seems like the reporters never even bothered to read the study (which had nothing to do with e-cigs), but simply reported what the press release claimed the study found.

If anyone finds the press release, please post.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

So, coffee contains aldehydes and pyrazines. Where's the curbit campaign for coffee drinking? Bill says hot coffee has more 2nd hand toxicity than vaping. Sounds believable to me.

Also, this interesting bit from that coffee link:

QUOTE A 2008 study by scientists at Seoul National University in South Korea, discovered that the smell of coffee beans affected gene and protein activity in rat brains, some of which were linked to stress relief.

The study may suggest that not all of coffee’s effects come from the caffeine. END QUOTE

Kinda like smoking and nicotine.

azb8496

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
VA, USA
http://www.newsweek.com/e-cigarettes-are-just-addictive-tobacco-thanks-pyrazine-additives-342447

News week posted this article that claims based on the linked study that the use of additives called ‘pyrazines' increase the addictiveness of e-cigs. The only thing the study is not even looking at e-cigs, nor is ‘pyrazines' is an additive in most e-juice; I know of one type has been used in some tobacco flavors.

In the discussion section of the paper there is this paragraph but I could not find any testing taking place to support the statement below in the use of Pyrazine in e-juice.
I don't know much of anything about pyroteens in e-juice, but I do know that e-cigs ARE addictive. Especially since they mimic the much more highly addictive activity of smoking , which is precisely why I started using them. Would I be able to cut back on smoking at my stressful job by 11/12's if they weren't as addictive? Actually, the patch, pill, and gum answered that one for me.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The day I started vaping my daily cigs dropped from 25 to 5 and remained there as if by magic. My perception was that there was some chemistry in cigarettes I craved and that 5 cigs was all I needed or craved to get what ever was not nicotine. I went to zero cigs after six weeks. My perception was the effort of doing that was reduced by the same 80% as ecigs reduced my intake of cigarettes. It's puzzling how little we seem to know about tobacco addiction considering the billions that have been spent to study it. My perception of nicotine now is that it's not what I crave, it's what tells me I've had enough. When I start doing DIY I'm going to see if increasing nic percent might encourage me to vape less ml per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread