Is my DIY plan feasible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
After couple of months of vaping I decided I will start making my own juices and I need some advice or at least conformation that I’m on a right track.

I already know what juices I like and after watching tutorials and reading tons of threads I thought I'm prepared to make the purchase. Well, it ain't so. I'm completely lost when it comes to flavorings. I thought I will use a popular premium recipe found on internet, mix it and enjoy the vape. Well, seems I have to buy 50 flavorings to make 5 different juices and this is something I’m not willing to do. At this moment, at least.

I'm always using 4-5 different juices. They are all something I can vape all day, but I like to change tastes at every refill. I don’t believe these juices are very premium. From sellers’ page and according to my taste buds, 1-2 in some juices maximum 3 flavoring, and I want to make something similar without having to buy bunch of flavorings.

Basically, I want to make 4 different kind of juice and after long research I managed to select flavors I intend to use:

a) Fruit with cheesecake (banana/strawberry/blueberry… +cream)
b) Fresh fruit
c) Tobacco (something like Tribeca)
d) Sweet cookies

a) For fruit with cheesecake I intend to buy:
1. Cheesecake (Graham Crust) (TPA)
2. Banana Cream (TPA)
3. Strawberry (Ripe) (TPA)
4. Blueberry Candy (TPA)

b) With these fruits I can also make fresh mix without cream.

c) For tobacco juice I intend to buy:
5. Graham Cracker v1 (Cap)
6. RY4 Double (TPA)

d) For sweet cookies I intend to buy:
7. Graham Cracker v1 (Cap)
8. Vanilla Custard v1 (Cap)
9. Sweet Cream (Cap)

I like juices with added these flavors, but for now I don’t know I will use them in my mixes. I will learn.

10. Caramel v2 (Cap)
11. Coconut extra (TPA)
12. DX Peanut Butter (TPA)

All together 12 basic flavors to make 4 different and simple e-juices. I believe with this I will be able to make something I can enjoy as much as bought juice. And also, some of these flavors are interchangeable. I mean I can add vanilla to fruits, caramel to tobacco, coconut to cookies…, right?

So, is my plan feasible? Any suggestions, advice, critic would be very welcomed.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Looks like you have a well thought out plan. my advice is if you never mixed your own then start small with 2 - 3 flavors and concentrate on mixing 1 recipe. It's always best to start as inexpensive as possible until you decide if DIY is for you. There's more to mixing then you think. Not all flavorings are created equal. So you may have to go through several brands of the same flavoring to find which taste best for that recipe. Each manufacture makes, for example a cherry flavor and each one taste different. Many vendors sell nicotine, some may be harsher then others. Some flavors may work good at 5% while others may work better at 20%. So this is why I suggest pick 1 must have recipe and concentrate on that until you see all that's involved. I've seen many spend hundreds of dollars on supplies only to get frustrated and give up.
Spend less money on supplies and more time on research and it will serve you well. To get started with research and get help along the way read my blogs.

dannyv45's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Believe it not, your blog already helped me start planing. :D

With flavors I intend to buy, I believe I can duplicate 2 juices that have great reviews. Strawberry cheesecake by BigTiny and Coconut ....... (SANTA714MIXER) by Scottyjoe920.

And then I intend to change strawberry with blueberry, use same cheesecake and hope for the best. With banana I have to research some more, but there are some recipes that have great reviews and where flavors are very similar but from different company. Same goes for other juices I intend to make. I will copy recipes and try to adapt them to my flavor stash.

This "stop smoking" has developed into an expensive hobby and I want to make sure I'm on the right track. If dannyv45 says plan is OK, then purchase seems very close. :D

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@excalibur-x - If you plan to buy the flavorings you listed at the top, you can also make a very good, very simple, shake and vape eliquid...if you buy just 1 more flavoring that's not on your list. That flavoring is TFA/TPA Cotton Candy (it's used as a sweetener). You'll probably find that it's helpful to have that 1 anyway, to also use in some other recipes.

You can make "NannerBerry", that quite a few people on here and elsewhere have liked, when they've made my easy recipe below. People trying DIY for the first time, as well as those who've been doing DIY for awhile, have tried it and liked it. By the way, TPA is the same company/flavorings as TFA.

TFA Strawberry Ripe - 9% (already on your list)
TFA Banana Cream - 6% (already on your list)
TFA Cotton Candy - 2% (would need to add to your list)

*In my original recipe I use TFA DX Banana Cream instead, but the regular one will work as well.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm with JCinFLA. I would suggest including a Sweetener(s) in you Flavoring Order. I like TPA/TFA Sweetener myself. But many prefer using Cotton Candy Flavoring.

Besides that, you Flavoring list looks Fine. And there are Other Combinations of Flavorings you can make from what you will have.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I'm with JCinFLA. I would suggest including a Sweetener(s) in you Flavoring Order. I like TPA/TFA Sweetener myself. But many prefer using Cotton Candy Flavoring.

I actually use, and love, TFA Sweetener in some recipes. Seems Cotton Candy and Sweetener each work better in particular recipes. For NannerBerry, the Cotton Candy seems to, because it's not as sweet as the Sweetener and provides some smoothing, too. So if it were me ordering...I'd order some of both. :)

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

I actually use, and love, TFA Sweetener in some recipes. Seems Cotton Candy and Sweetener each work better in particular recipes. For NannerBerry, the Cotton Candy seems to, because it's not as sweet as the Sweetener and provides some smoothing, too. So if it were me ordering...I'd order some of both. :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Excellent point, Order both.

EM (Cotton candy) may mute flavors as it sweetens but increases mouth feel, wetness and thickness.

Sweetener is a straight up sweetener.

They can be used in combination with each other. For instance

use .5% (Half a percent) of EM to enhance sweetness, increases mouth feel, wetness and thickness.

and

Use sweetener at 1% to add additional sweetness.

These are 2 of the greatest fine tuning tools you can have in your arsenal of additives.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Yeah... TFA Sweetener is VERY Sweet. And if someone is looking for just a Hint of Sweetness in a Mix, Cotton Candy can sometimes be a Good Call.

Same with the Opposite.

If someone wants to make Sweet Candy or Dessert Flavor, it can be Hard sometimes to get enough Sweetness from Cotton Candy without getting a Meh Chemical Taste.

Or at least it is for Me. Taste is Very Subjective.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
c) For tobacco juice I intend to buy:
5. Graham Cracker v1 (Cap)
6. RY4 Double (TPA)

d) For sweet cookies I intend to buy:
7. Graham Cracker v1 (Cap)
9. Sweet Cream (Cap)

#5. Could be called a tobacco but I believe it is intended as it sounds, a cookie.
#7. Graham Cracker v1 (Cap) Could be called a cookie.

These bottom two #'s 8&9 could say falls in the blurry cream/custard category.
9. Sweet Cream (Cap)[/QUOTE]

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Might consider some other tobacco than RY4D, it's good but more a strange caramel (not tobacco+vanilla+caramel, something in between. I like Tobacco Absolutes, Hangsen, Ina-TDM. Hoever, if you have some good generic tobacco ejuices that are just a little generic to use by themselves, they can also be used as weak flavorings (ESPECIALLY when combining with an Absolute or extract).

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
    Nov 15, 2016
    Oleeee, I pressed the button :D

1 N-Base 500ML (6mg max VG)
    2 Banana Cream (TPA)
    3 Blueberry Candy (TPA) 17 10
    4 Caramel v2 (Cap) 20 10
    5 Cheesecake Graham Crus (Graham Crust) (TPA)
    6 Coconut extra (TPA)
    7 Graham Cracker v1 (CAP)
    8 Marshmallow (TPA)
    9 Peach (TPA)
    10 DX Peanut Butter (TPA)
    11 Strawberry (Ripe) (TPA)
    12 Super Sweet (CAP)
    13 Sweet Cream (CAP)
    14 Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP)
    15 Vanilla Swirl (TPA)

I payed 90€. Yeah, stuff is expensive in Turkey. I regret that I didn't start vaping before I moved here. It would be much cheaper.

Thanks for advice about sweetener. Unfortunately seller doesn't have TPA Sweetener, but if I'm not mistaken, Capellas Super Sweet and TPA Marshmallow should do the job. Also at the last second they ran out of RY4 Double (TPA), so instead I added Peach (TPA). Yeah, I know it has nothing to do with tobacco, but we all love peaches. :D

Tomorrow it's time to wash all old bottles and to order a nice reliable scale. In the meantime I have to make last buy of juices, because I broke the sacred rule of vaping. Always have backup!!! :D I have 5x4ml of ADV juices left, then I'm dry. Lucky today some alcohol was drank, so I could use half of bottle of popcorn/fried chicken I found stashed somewhere deep in my drawer, but tomorrow it's back to ADV. Uffff, Tuesday is so far away. :D

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Oleeee, I pressed the button :D

:thumbs: You've got a nice looking list there...good variety of primary flavorings AND secondary ones used as blenders! You can make a good variety of eliquids with those. About not having the TFA Sweetener...your CAP Super Sweet should do the trick. Marshmallow is good, too, as a blender that can be used in many recipes. I really like it in some of the ones I make!

I can tell you're excited, as rightly you should be! You're about to begin a wonderful journey making your own eliquids. Get ready to say "good bye" to over-priced, store bought, eliquids that may or may not always suit your own tastes. With DIY...every eliquid you make can suit your own tastes AND save you a bunch of $$.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 22, 2015
    Welcome to the world of DIY! Great list for your first purchase! You are in for a LOT of fun! Im hoping you have some VG and PG on hand(or in the order). Im sure you do, but I dont see it listed and just want to make sure it wasnt overlooked....I did that once on an order...luckily I was able to get the phone call in just in time to not cost extra in shipping lol.

Edit:

Just reread your list and saw the N-Base. For some reason I thought that was a nicotine concentrate(50mg or higher), and not a premixed base that you can add flavor to. Left the story though cause hey....that one deserves to be laughed at lol

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
    Nov 15, 2016
    In the evening goods should be in my possession and I intend to cook magic potions.

Strawberry Cheesecake:
    Max VG 6mg/ml
    6% Cheesecake Graham Crus (TPA)
    10% Strawberry (Ripe) (TPA)

NannerBerry
    Max VG 6mg/ml
    6% Banana Cream (TPA)
    9% Strawberry (Ripe) (TPA)
    2% Super Sweet (CAP)

Monkey Snack
    Max VG 6mg/ml
    8% Banana Cream (TPA)
    9% DX Peanut Butter (TPA)
    1% Caramel v2 (Cap)

Coconut Coc…
    Max VG 6mg/ml
    6% Cheesecake Graham Crus (TPA)
    1,2% Coconut extra (TPA)
    1% Sweet Cream (CAP)
    1% Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP)

Recipes were found on internet and they have good reviews, so I think as long I don’t mess up when I fill the bottles, I should be OK. I ordered SF-400C scale and if it behaves same as scales in tutorials it should be easy. At the moment, I don’t have small pipettes, but I believe with little more care I can do it with pipettes from empty bottles. If I will have troubles I will only make Strawberry Cheesecake/NannerBerry. Looks very easy and it can be vaped immediately.

When I find time I will make something with Vanilla Swirl, Peach and Caramel. Sounds delicious. :D

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    @excalibur-x - On my NannerBerry recipe above, since you're using CAP Super Sweet instead of the original TFA Cotton Candy in the recipe...I'd drop the % for it to about .5% - .75% to start with. The TFA Cotton Candy isn't nearly as sweet as the CAP Super Sweet. You can use it for sure, but just use quite a bit less of it IMO.

You can always add more of something in a recipe, but you can't take it out if it's too much. So if .5% isn't enough...add another drop at a time and taste it, until it's sweet enough to your own taste.

Last edited:

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
    Nov 15, 2016
    Had to postpone mixing. In the afternoon my back made a strange sound and now I'm broken.

Scale stayed at the post office but I managed go mix 10ml of strawberry cream. Of course I filled the bottle too much :D and I had to pump VG to my other tank that was almost empty. Maybe just 1ml but enough to taste clear VG. Not bad, but seems more dry than liquid I'm used to. And way more thicker. I doubt Zephyrus V2 can keep wicking with current wick build.

If I remember correctly 1 drop of distilled water will dilute VG?

BTW, VG came in a big glass bottle. It is probably best to use big syringe to fill 30ml bottles?

c7b0a65242e3c7ba779df38fd7fbfc1b.jpg

Sent from my LeTv 1 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Reactions: jpasint
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread