Where are my fruits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKomiko

Oct 22, 2015
New to DIY, mixed up a few batches last week:
Strawberry Cheesecake: Cheesecake Graham crust (tpa) 6%, Strawberry ripe (tpa) 10%
Raspberry Vanilla Ice Cream: Raspberry sweet (tpa) 5%, VBIC (cap) 8%
Blueberry Danish: Blueberry (cap) 4%, Blueberry wild (tpa) 4%, Cinnamon danish swirl v2 (cap) 2%
Strawberry Banana Cheesecake: Banana cream (tpa) 5%, Strawberry ripe (tpa) 5%, Cheesecake graham crust 8%, Whipped cream (cap) 3%

I get the creamy, cheesecake, danish type notes but my fruits are lacking. Most of my fruit flavors are TPA, are they inherently weak? I used mainly 5 star recipes from ELR, but mine don't get 5 Stars. I'm going to try tonight remix and add Sweet strawberry (cap) to the strawberry mixes and maybe bump up percentages on the BB and Rasp. Would adding a little (tpa) blackberry to the dark berries bring up the flavor some?

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Try bumping the fruits up 2% at a time. I wwouldn't add blackberry, it's a totally different taste than blueberry. I've heard of using bilberry as an enhancer for blueberry. I have a blueberries & cream that I added blueberry candy to along with the 2 you used to get where I wanted it. Just a bit made the blueberry pop. Oh, & lemon juice to stablize the fruits.

Reactions: JKomiko

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
Cut back on the % of flavorings by half, they may stand out more.,...when I first started out I thought the more concentrates I used would result in more flavor , past a certain point it mutes the flavor.......... Keep the flavors simple in the beginning, one or two and build from there, good luck

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
Try Capella's Sweet Strawberry. That's the first (only) one I've tried, but it's good right from the first minute. Tastes just like a slightly sweetened fresh strawberry, right down to the seeds. I LOVE that stuff and use it in almost everything now. I make a strawberry cupcake juice with that, TFA's Vanilla Cupcake, and Capella's Cake Batter, and as soon as I'm done mixing it, I can vape it and it's wonderful.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
I like the TFA Vanilla Cupcake too. Tastes like cake batter to me. I'll have to get the CAP's and try that one.:thumb:

While you're at it, get "butter" (CAP) and some ethyl maltol or other sweetener, if you don't already have them. That recipe is 6% cake batter, 5% vanilla cupcake, 5% sweet strawberry, 2% butter, and 1% EM. YUMMY! Shake and vape! :D

(That's not my recipe, by the way, I found it on a recipe site...)

JKomiko

Oct 22, 2015
The only flavor you used that I have any experience with it TFA Ripe Strawberry. It's pretty weak compared to other fruits. And it needs a week to steep before you can taste it at all.
Yes, after going back to these after a 10 day steep the strawberry is finally coming up. Still disappointed in the blueberry though.

dead not sleeping

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Land of Thunder, Upstate NY
A touch of Sour will bring the fruits out a bit more than a "sweet" will. I'll never use EM again. I like CAP over TFA for fruits. Their Sweet Strawberry is very good. I use it and Sour to replace the EM in recipes. Even though you can pretty much shake 'n' vape fruits, a week or two steep will really be beneficial. Thats a natural steep, without any 'magic methods' added. If you ask me, and I do note no one did, heat kills fruit flavors. I'm not against the magic, it certainly speeds things up, but I think the quality suffers in the end.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I love strawberry ripe by TFA and i also have Capella's sweet strawberry , FA Strawberry is probably my favorite and it's strong .

TFA does have quite a few overly weak flavorings that i also bump up in percentage . if your using Strawberry ripe at 10% you should definitely taste it .

Make sure you mix them really well .

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
Screenshot_2015-09-06-14-49-36_zpsvojdxcnu.png

Here's my ADV...if I let it steep a week or so, the individual flavors become more "distinct", but I can taste them all right off that bat. I love TPA/TFA flavorings, it's all I've used since I started DIY. I suggest making 5 to 10 ml "testers" with individual flavors before creating a recipe. It'll give you a better idea of what YOUR tastes are. Every person's taste buds are different, so you'll need to figure out what works for you! Good luck and have fun! :)

JKomiko

Oct 22, 2015
A touch of Sour will bring the fruits out a bit more than a "sweet" will. I'll never use EM again. I like CAP over TFA for fruits. Their Sweet Strawberry is very good. I use it and Sour to replace the EM in recipes. Even though you can pretty much shake 'n' vape fruits, a week or two steep will really be beneficial. Thats a natural steep, without any 'magic methods' added. If you ask me, and I do note no one did, heat kills fruit flavors. I'm not against the magic, it certainly speeds things up, but I think the quality suffers in the end.
I have some sour, what percentage? I'm thinking maybe .25?

Reactions: Kenna
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread