Is vaping really cheaper than smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toots Aplenty

Oct 31, 2013
Iowa
well,i used to spend 150.00 a week on smokes (3 cartons) for my wife and i.we've been vaping for four years now and we both have vv mods with cartos.i mix our own juice with tw platinum kits and we average about 30.00 a month so i'd have to say yes,most definitely we save money on vaping vs smoking!
That's insane savings. And I thought my 5 a day habit was bad :blink:

JaneB

Unregistered Supplier
Nov 1, 2013
Colorado
vapeshop.com
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

leannan24

Oct 6, 2013
Toledo,OH
In my case it was cheaper until yesterday lol. I started with Revolver G2 that I bought last year for $20 but stopped using. I picked it up again last month and after not smoking cigarettes for a month I celebrated with a new Talon. I smoked a pack a day but only gape 1-2 ml a day so even with buying ejuice it ends up a lot cheaper for me

rhean

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
I used to smoke 1.5 packs a day, which is almost $70/week. I ended that back mid-July. If I hadn't, it would have cost something like $1000 to keep smoking till today, which is a disturbing thought. So far, vaping has cost around $450, with about half on diy juice supplies, rest on two evods, two protanks, five drip tips, four batteries w/chargers, lots and lots of replacement heads, juice I bought before getting into diy. Obv these are not the latest and most expensive gadgets, but they work well for me and that's enough.

I have almost everything needed to keep vaping till July '14; might spend $50 more on some extra flavors, extra heads, a drip tip or two, but that's about it. To do some more (depressing) math, if I hadn't quit, smoking would have cost $3600+ between July '13 and July '14. Vaping is a HUGE savings.

Wampa Poacher

Aug 14, 2013
DFW, Texas
If you want vaping to be be cheaper than smoking it can be a lot cheaper.

-Buy only the devices you need, not what you want. A PV collection is expensive and a poor investment.
-DIY your juice.

I smoked a pack and a half a day. That works out to $47.25 a week or $2,457 per year (CA prices in 2012). Since November of 2011 I've spent a total of less than $1,100 on vaping and I have enough DIY supplies to keep me into juice well into next spring. That includes a couple of mods, batteries, DIY supplies, basic lab gear and some vaping accessories.

I totally agree it is definitely cheaper if you want it to be. It's a hobby for me, I'm always testing new juice, hardware and vendors. I still think I'm spending less than i was buying a pack a day.

Happy Vaping Everyone!

vtmnd

Dec 10, 2012
Boston
I found that you have to do your research before purchasing a vaping system in order to save. I spent weeks reading everything there is to know about vaping, on this forum, before I made my move away from smoking. I've tried the blue's years ago, along with many other small e-cigs that broke after the first day of using...couldn't justify the cost savings so kept smoking cause I f*&*#ing loved it. Then I heard about MODs on this forum and it was exactly what I was looking for. In the end, I purchased a Provari mini for about $175 and a tank for about $11. I've been smoke free since the day I received my provari mini and spend $35 a month on juice and $1.80 every two weeks for the cartos in my tank. So I spend a total of $38.60 a month after the initial cost. I used to spend $238 with a pack a day habit. I'm saving $2,393 a year. I vape all day long, have had the save system for a year. This thing won't die (I've dropped it numerous times...my iphone on the other hand has seen better days).

Lesson learned: get a high quality system, find the good juice at a great cost. All the info you need is in this forum.

Chrissie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Since I bought my first e-cig, over 5 years ago, I've saved a fortune -

I used to smoke on average 50 a day :shock::shock: At today's prices (GBP) that would be at least -

£17.50 per day
£122.50 per week
£525.00 per month
£6,300 per year :shock:

So yes vaping for me is so much cheaper than smoking - I now spend about £10.00 a week max.

But what is priceless - I can now breath easily :D

Last edited:

Pinktutu

Nov 2, 2013
California
Hi. I smoked my first e cig in late September. I tried Blu disposable cigarette it was about 13 bucks and the lady said it was the equivalent of 800 puffs and I was like ok whatever like I know how many puffs I smoke. I bought the ecig with no intention of quitting real cigarettes. I have been smoking for over 10 years and averaged at about 5-8 packs a week. I tried it because my nail lady (who is next door to the smoke shop) said that her client's husband just bought one and told me to try. I said I would so ok I bought Blu because I didn't want to commit to anything else. It wasn't bad, the flavor was there but I smoked cigarettes still. I had to drive to San Diego that day left San Bernardino at 1 pm, by 6 pm the battery was gone. I was appalled because I said no way I already smoked "800 puffs" lol. Anyways I came back three days later and bought green smart living menth high because that's what the only other alternative from a vape pen. Within two weeks I quit smoking completely. After a week of smoking the ecig and real cigs the real ones started to turn me off real bad. Until finally one day I just never bought a pack. Mind you I had no intention of quitting at all. I know everyone is different but that's just my story. Yes the cartridge of 5 is 13 bucks but it lasts me about a week. I smoke in my room, no longer smell like cigarette smoke despite my endless efforts to mask it, baby wipes for my hands, mints, windows rolled down air on high. And my car no longer smells like an ashtray. Maybe one day I'll buy a vape pen and liquid but for my convenience I will stick to the green smart living and gradually try the low cartridge to hopefully 0 nicotine. But to be Frank with u my nicotine addiction is not an issue wih me as is caffeine and alcohol. I'm just happier now becaue so can smoke around people who have absolute 0 tolerance for cigarette smoke and smoke in amusement parks without offending anyone. (Although you'll be surprised that some people still find it offensive, like ok the air were breathing in so cal is just so clean that vapor ruins it for you) lol

I havnt gained any weight like I experienced while I was on zyban many years ago or have gone crazy like a monster who wanted to smoke. I never tried chantix because to be honest I like smoking still, now I just do it in another alternative and it gives me the same pleasure and psychological effect as smoking cigarettes.

dePeatrick

Nov 1, 2013
Ireland
Through reading forums like this I have discovered what vaping devices to buy without wasting money on inferior products, yes I have saved money by not smoking and more importantly just might have saved myself from some nasty smoke related illness.......

A months supply of juice costs me about $35, I would have spent that on cigarettes before a week was out. The devices I use...Ego twist, Kanger pro tank work fine, I will get a RBD soon just to see what they are like and will buy more shiny things, but hey! I am still not spending as much as I was on smoking and may well live even longer......And save more whoopee..........and vape more.....and buy more shiny thingies........He he heeee.....

basylica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
It wasn't at first, I bought cigs likes and then egos and then mods. And I struggled to find juice I liked.
I hadn't bought anything in months and just bought some new juice, a drip tip, a tank, and another battery this week.
I also have got my mom to quit, and a coworker has been vaping for 2 weeks now so I give myself a little credit when I gift vape gear ;)

Even at double the price I'd still prefer to vape. It's like the joke about divorce. Why is divorce so expensive? Because it's worth it!

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Yep, lots of thinking in Dollars, Pounds, Yen, Euros, what have you here...

What's the price tag you're going to put on a fair shot at living less unhealthy, being more kissable 'cuz you don't taste like an ashtray anymore, less smelly clothing and dwelling...how do you nail that down in coin and bill ?

If you factor that into the equation, vaping is likely to be the winner - always :)

Argo2013

Sep 15, 2013
California
Sorry for the long drawn out story lol

When I started I started with the cheapest I could find at the time, BLU ecigs $30, couple cartridges $20, then moved on to the joyetech 510s $40 starter kit and started buying my juices $7 a 30ml bottle, used the 510s for a year, graduated to the ego-c last January but bought parts instead of the kit 900mah batter $20 and just used the cartomizers I picked up when I got my 510s $5 for 5, couple $10 tanks from a local shop over a couple months, finally got a protank2 last month for my bday, $24 and ordered me a MVP v2 a week ago for $50. Still think it beats smoking reg smokes over the time I've stopped smoking analogs I've prob spent $250 on parts and $50 on juice, if I continued smoking analogs a pack a day for 2 years about 5$ in CA, it would be around $4000

Vaping kinda turns into a hobby after some time, always looking for that next part that would make the vape that much better. Always buying parts and trying new juices etc.. But it's still less expensive than analogs I've found. My advice start small, egos even the 510s can be decent for the price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread