Is vaping really cheaper than smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camaroboi13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
San Bernardino, CA, USA
Knowing someone who's been down the road before certainly helps. Unfortunately, knowing someone who's got all the t shirts to prove it sometimes doesn't! We are all children at heart...we see something we want, we get it. Simple as that. I am probably about dead even as far as how much I've saved vs how much I've spent in the last 77 days. I also bought the Mrs. all of her stuff as well, and when a friend needs a few ml to get him through till payday I'll gladly give it up rather than see him buy a pack of menthols. There are trade offs to everything, but NO amount of money can ever take my lungs away from me, put a hole in my throat, or kill me prematurely before I get to see my grandkids graduate high school. I don't care how much it costs, health and safety is the number one concern.

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
I'll add my voice to the chorus singing "It's as expensive as you want it to be". I'm definitely a confirmed vaping hobbyist, so I'm really not looking to save money, at least not at this stage of the game - but on the other hand, I've yet to toss a tank on the driveway and grind it out under my heel when I'm done with it. ;)

I think the hobbyist angle actually helps a lot of us distract ourselves from cigarette cravings, at least over the first few months. So in a sense, you could almost blame the tobacco for any extra costs you incur on your vaping journey. ;)

It's also probable that those of us who become vaping hobbyists buy vaping products with (some amount of) money we might have spent on a different hobby (that is, apart from smoking, which is almost never a hobby, disregarding the occasional cigar aficionado). There are only so many hours in the day, after all. So to compare a high-end vaping budget with a cigarette budget on a 1-to-1 basis probably isn't quite fair.

Regardless, having lots of options -- the ability to treat vaping like a hobby or like a bare-bones smoking replacement -- isn't a disadvantage, in principle. Cigarettes are simple to the point of utter monotony. If they weren't so ridiculously addictive, they'd be uninteresting. The only unfortunate thing about vaping is that all of the options available can confuse and discourage the newbie, who's used to mindlessly buying the same old dull pack(s) of cigarettes every day.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
That's just it.. you can make it cheaper if you are matching only nicotine consumption vapor vs smoke.

The reality is that vaping becomes a hobby for many, as opposed to just a way to get your nicotine fix. And like most things once it becomes a hobby, the cost to tinker becomes much more substantial than the cost of just satisfying your craving nicotine. There are so many things to tweak, so many things to try. lt's like golf equipment, photography equipment, iphones or whatever the hobby maybe; there is always something newer and better coming out and always a reason buy something which you perceive may enhance your vaping experience. With that being said whatever gets you off cigarettes may save your life, how much is that worth?

Start with what you NEED, and spend the money you CAN on what you WANT.

People need hobbies. So for many it is a game of becoming a Vapor Aficionado (which i believe is a good thing). Because in the hobby lies the key factor which moves people away from cigarettes. The fact that if you enjoy vaping at its core, your mind easily forgets about smoking. And by vaping i mean not only the act of inhaling vapor, i mean the process (the gear, the forums, the trial and error, etc.).

There is a quote which says "Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it." and i believe that this holds true for the journey that is vaping.
I smoked for 35 years but it never was a hobby for me. I changed cigarette brands a couple of times but that did not involve an increase in smoking cost. I never bought a humidor, I never grew and cured my own tobacco. I never graduated to premium cigars. I never rolled my own. I never spent more money than I needed to maintain my cigarette habit for those 35 years. All I wanted to was to keep smoking and buying those cartons at the gas station every week.

So, if smoking for 35 years was not a hobby, why should vaping be a hobby?

The fact is I already have several hobbies. Boating and restoration of classic wooden boats is my most expensive hobby. I did that that when I was smoking and do it now that I'm vaping, too. The only difference is that I have more money available for the boating hobby now then when I smoked.

There is a huge amount of marketing power expended to keep people keep buying the latest and shiniest PVs with the coolest electronics and the most fashionable flavors. I really don't care about that. This is my hobby and yes, it's a DIY hobby...

MDuck6acrop.jpg

jclay1192

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2013
California
Don't take this the wrong way. You obviously didn't like cigarettes and picked up vaping. In doing this you realized how fun it was whatever and quickly it became a hobby buying juices.. tanks.. batteries, mods.. its a. Like card collecting. Don't feel too bad unless you are WASTING money.. So far i have an Evic and now a Vamo V5 on the way. I've quick for about 5 months and have saved around 400 dollars (get an app to track every day spending's of vaping crap and the average spendings of cigarettes) You may actually have saved and not even realized it.

*edit* If you're NEW to vaping that may be where your problem lies. Like i've told everyone, it is an expensive thing to start but after your batteries and mod/charger it becomes a lot cheaper and the price begins to plateau (unless you go juice/mod crazy.. even tank crazy)

Last edited:

claudebo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Maine
Ditto to most comments here.

I figure I'm now spending 1/3 what is was on analogs. But not initially, experimenting and false starts was costly.
But the maintenance cost are around $70 per month, 50 for juices, some good ones from LJ's (they are all good :p and bright tobacco from fast tech. Then 20 or so for atomizers and clearros.

It is not really a hobby for me: more like a better way to be addicted to nic.

Supergrover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Rockaway NJ
I am only 1 week in today, yay, but I can see it being cheaper.
$9 a day for smokes= 270 a month in analogs.
My first order was a halo triton starter kit, sample pack of juice 42ml total, a 4 pack of fillable cartos and a pack of extra heads
was $138 because I got it over night shipped, I am vaping about 1-2 ml a day @ 24 mg nic
The sample pack should last me about a month, so after my first month I will have saved money.
Once I start ordering juice I expect to spend around $30-40 a month, alot better than $270 for analogs, disquisting smelly no good yucky dirty .... tasting analogs.
But I dont plan on turning it into a hobby, I allready have an expensive hobby, RC cars,trucks,planes and boats.
The money i am saving from vaping has somewhere to go :)
I will probably get some other cool things for vaping though, but never anything crazy expensive

Heartisan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2010
North Cali
Everyone has had great advice and comments. :)

Best thing I can add is, if you don't know someone who's already switched to vaping - RESEARCH before you buy! Search for reviews,
Check for sales from vendors, etc.
ECF has enough info to make your head spin :blink: - so if you don't find exactly the information you're looking for, PLEASE ask.
Great bunch of people on here, and everyone likes to help 'newbies' get off and running!

You can sometimes find good deals in the classifieds section, along with co-ops once you've settled on what equipment and juice you like.

The most expensive part is the initial set-up, it can sometimes take a while to figure out what liquid you like. And your taste buds DO
change as they recover from years of cigs. The selection available now is insane compared to when I started, so it can be easy to buy
Much more than you actually need!
-Buy only the devices you need, not what you want. A PV collection is expensive and a poor investment.
-DIY your juice.
PERFECT advice!
I got into the 'hobby' mode for a while, and the PVs that work best for me were on the higher end. BUT - You don't need expensive equipment for it to work for you. Buy something you can refill yourself - the pre filled are expensive, and not better except for convenience.

I spend about $100 every 3-4 months for my personal juice needs - but only vape two flavors. Usually purchase only when there's a sale.

I help get vets to switch to vaping. A basic Ego, dual coil Cartos and juice work great for most. Sometimes a bottle that has a needle end for filling if they have shaky hands or poor eyesight (10 are like $5). I've just started a few with Kangar tanks, but only for the ones that REALLY have trouble with coordination or vision.

Good Luck! And please use your fellow vapers knowledge! It will save time and money, and you can avoid the pitfalls others have already
gone through :)

thefullhonkey

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
In addition to what Heartisan has said, I think over-buying by a small measure on your initial purchase might be a good way for most poeple to go. I started with an eRoll, moved up to an eGo-C (this caused the aha moment), and eGo twist ('cause, you know, VV) and then on to an SVD/MVP. If I had just taken the plunge and gone from the MVP from the get go, I would have saved a pile of money.

Of course at the outset, an MVP seemed absurd. But now, I consider it to be very modest...

for me it's been cheaper overall, but it could have been a lot cheaper. Now that I understand my preferences, the real savings should start to happen.

geeve

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Oklahoma
I went to vapeing in July, Started with Blu, went to an ego kit, then to a Vamo. I have several Clearos and I buy juice when I need it as well as replacement heads. As of today I am $53.04 in the green. This is after I bought an SVD and a new carto tank for my birthday (My wife bought it, but I put in my expense anyway)

So to answer the question, had I started where I am now and skipped the Blu and ego's I would be more ahead. But it was worth it to find the right set up for me. As of now all I need are replacement heads and juice :)

Geeve

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I'm saving. I first broke even around 6 months, that was with many backups and a supply of premade liquid. After that I only spent on heads and liquid as needed and saved $1000 the first year.
I've been sticking around $1000 saved for 6 months because I've been going nuts, but now I could easily go 1 year without buying anything which as soon as I do that (one more mod and a few more batteries to buy) I'll save around $2000 a year.
I could probably go close to 5 years without buying anything.

It really depends on what you spent on cigarettes. I tried to figure it up for a cousin who's a 5 cigarette a day smoker. It took a while to hit the break even point for him and that's only if he hits on an ecig set up that works right off the bat.
If he becomes an ecig collector or can't hit on something that works he'll never save.

I just set my nephew up with a free week. That should be worth $40 in cigarettes.
At the local prices that's 40ml. If he uses the 3ml a day average, a month of no cigarettes could be an iTaste, a Protank, 4 weeks of liquid and some heads. You don't need to replace batteries and attys constantly so he should eventually work into his own equipment for less than he'd be spending on cigarettes.
Will he is yet to be answered.

computertech83

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Bossier City, LA
For me, vaping cost about 15% of what i was spend on analogs. Thats throwing in the equipment cost also. I dont use the expensive mods, i just get the stuff i need to produce good vapor. Variable voltage battery, protank2, and the parts to maintain. Just for a reference, check out everyone's signature blocks that have the i have stopped smoking banners, look at the money saved and analogs avoided. :) Vape on my friend :vapor:

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
I started with a mod i was extremely happy using, the MVP v1. Then i bought a MVP v2 only because i wanted the additional features and i dont think the MVP v2 was available at that time.

IMO the key to making it cheap is getting the MOD, PV ,APV ect that will give you the results you want for at least a year. I found that to be less challenging than finding the delivery device that is exactly what i want BECAUSE......your sense of taste and smell changes as you get further away from tobacco use. A good APV can be adjusted to compensate for some variables to a certain degree.

What was fine when i started, now taste burnt or not so good to me quite often regardless of how i set my MVPs.

Just like the delivery device whether its a clearo, atty or carto, your taste in juice will likely change too. The amount of nic, warmth and the amount of throat hit for me really changed as i got used to not smoking. Now im used to vaping instead. Its my opinion there is no way yo know how or when this change will occur or if it will occur for everyone.

So here i am NOW with several devices i barely use but they did the job. Like any tool, it will stay in my tool box or find a new home so someone else can enjoy it.

Overall ive spent less on everything vs smoking in under 90 days and nearly everything ive bought has been at a B&M. I just made my first vape mail purchase and ive got one more $28 one to make. Its my 90day smoke free gift to myself.

Ive spent less than i did on other products that were designed to help me quit. Success is priceless and my 90day analog free is almost here. I can not put a price on not smelling like an ashtray and being happy about it.

Last edited:

Thegimic89

Oct 31, 2013
Fresno ca
Don't take this the wrong way. You obviously didn't like cigarettes and picked up vaping. In doing this you realized how fun it was whatever and quickly it became a hobby buying juices.. tanks.. batteries, mods.. its a. Like card collecting. Don't feel too bad unless you are WASTING money.. So far i have an Evic and now a Vamo V5 on the way. I've quick for about 5 months and have saved around 400 dollars (get an app to track every day spending's of vaping crap and the average spendings of cigarettes) You may actually have saved and not even realized it.

*edit* If you're NEW to vaping that may be where your problem lies. Like i've told everyone, it is an expensive thing to start but after your batteries and mod/charger it becomes a lot cheaper and the price begins to plateau (unless you go juice/mod crazy.. even tank crazy)

Yeah I can def relate to that I've tracked it with quit it app and no way have I spent 2 grand in 4 months on vaping I am in to rebuildables and high end mods my friends opened a shop and just have sumerged my self in the vape life I rarely pay for juice it's more when I drop big chunks on new mods sell my old stuff to ppl starting out so a lot of money is recycled so I can agree its been cheaper. I'm looking into to the new fuego mech mod so it's obviously be come a hobby more than a money thing and the substantial increase to my health way out ways the occasional splurge of money on my healthier alternative

meatshanks

Oct 25, 2013
San Jose CA
i think it can be cheaper, depending on what style of vaping you do..... if you go get some pens and are having to buy cartos all the time it can be around the same price, but when you start getting into rebuilds you can save some cash....the only thing is it can become a obsession, and you might find yourself picking up all the latest and greatest; and that can make things more expensive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread