Is vaping really cheaper than smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

basylica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
My advice for newbies is get 2 variable voltage egos in whatever size you prefer, and a couple evods because I think they perform better than c4s and t3s and the other newbie options and are fairly cheap. Online you are looking at 60-70 bucks for this setup. In a store you'll pay quite a bit more. Use a brick and mortar store for your liquid - I made mistake of online and found things I thought I'd like I didn't and things I didn't like I did. Buy 2-3 flavours of liquid in 15ml bottles around 20 bucks at a vape shop.
Less than 100 and enough equipment for at least 2 weeks vaping, if not more.
I'd spend 80 a carton and that would last me about 2 weeks.

Then your next purchase would really only be coils (1-3 each depending on bargain hunting) and more juice. So 20-30 bucks and you get another month of vaping. Now you are out 130 vs 240. And so on.

I've probably spent ehhh... 800 now, bought several ego batteries, lots and lots of juice, c4s, evods, vivi novas, pro tanks, 3 mods....
But I don't have to spend anything for probably another 6mths and haven't in months (til this week!) and according to my ticker I've more than broke even. But my first 2mths I probably spent double what I would have spent on smokes.... Soo...

basylica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Oh, and I've gotten two people off smokes with handmedown equipment.... So I feel really good about that and consider that as money saved in a virtual way. I've given my mom 2 egos, an evod, c4s, and my cigalike set, some juice and lots of cartos for cigalike. Given a 650 batt to a coworker who had only one since I had mods and other egos, and currently my last 3 egos are out on loan to another coworker.
I will probably always have an ego that never gets used hanging around in case of emergency or someone needing to borrow or try it out. Good karma!

JuiceIsLoose

Apr 21, 2013
United States
I've been vaping for over 7 months

Initially, I broke even the first month as those Mystic cigalikes got me started. My smokey treats bill was around $130 a month at a pack a day. I've spent $500 in 7 months and have enough juice to finish month 9. At this point, I'm saving over half of what I spend normally for smokey treats, my blood pressure is lower, I don't smell like cigs and breath better.

Looking into the Russian rebuildable tank with micro coils, cotton and an EHPro mechanical along with some Aspire BDC stuff for out and about with my old Egos. If I can get decent at building my own with the Russian style...and I can drop to zero nic at the 1 year point (my goal) then all my vape stuff can be from a drug store (PG/VG and cotton) the hardware store (o-rings when needed) and the odd order for flavorings. I want to set it all up for my one year anniversary in late March of being a non-smoker. It will then be a hobby to build the perfect coil, play with 1 ohm coils and help others kick butts...

emag7311

Nov 3, 2013
montreal, canada
I think the hobbyist angle actually helps a lot of us distract ourselves from cigarette cravings, at least over the first few months. So in a sense, you could almost blame the tobacco for any extra costs you incur on your vaping journey. ;)

It's also probable that those of us who become vaping hobbyists buy vaping products with (some amount of) money we might have spent on a different hobby (that is, apart from smoking, which is almost never a hobby, disregarding the occasional cigar aficionado). There are only so many hours in the day, after all. So to compare a high-end vaping budget with a cigarette budget on a 1-to-1 basis probably isn't quite fair.

Regardless, having lots of options -- the ability to treat vaping like a hobby or like a bare-bones smoking replacement -- isn't a disadvantage, in principle. Cigarettes are simple to the point of utter monotony. If they weren't so ridiculously addictive, they'd be uninteresting. The only unfortunate thing about vaping is that all of the options available can confuse and discourage the newbie, who's used to mindlessly buying the same old dull pack(s) of cigarettes every day.

Tottaly agree.. way to many options.. most people want simple.. smokers need the slightest reason to not stop.. I ended blowing 600 on equipment just to get it done with.. I just ordered yesterday and am waiting to start

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

CriticalBluntAttack

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Orange County, CA, USA
i used to smoke a pack a day,so yes it worked out being wayyy cheaper for me. Mind you i have a Beast Mod ($235) and ive had other high end mods and a plethora of juices but in the end it still comes out to be cheaper than smoking and much healthier. Which in reality being healthy should be your main concern.

smokinMelissa

Verified Member
Jul 12, 2013
USA
Once you find what you like then it can be easier on the personal budget.....

The problem for me is finding what I like that satisfies my urge for the analogs.

And there are sooo many different varieties of EVERYTHING that it would take a big investment to buy the things you *think* you'll like just to find out that they're not providing the hit that you need to satisfy the cravings.

I started with the e-go but kept getting frustrated with the different cartridges and different juices and filtering out where the problem was -- is it the juice or the cartridge.. switching things up, buying different styles, trying different juices, trying stronger juices to try to scratch that nicotine addiction..

I think once you find what works for you and you either find a great supplier with reasonable prices for juice or get into the business of making your own juices then you can recover that return on investment.

The biggest benefit isn't financial at least initially. It's moving away from the smoking habit!

PNW Rider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Mukilteo, Wa
i have spent more in one month of vaping than i did on all the cigs i ever smoked. I bought a Provari and a Zen atty pro. figured out that i dont like genesis style atomisers because they leak and dont wick as fast as bottom coil clearomizers... so i bought a Kanger protank 2, after rebuilding i found that i loved the custom vape that could be achieved. However when i chain vaped OR took big, long hits from protank i would melt the rubber coil insulator. Incredibly distraught and feeling defeated, i turned to ECF to look for a new atomizer that would:
1. NOT LEAK! 2. Be rebuildable with a vape to my liking.
My reading lead me to the SvoeMesto Kayfun Lite. All i can say is i love this thing the first build i did with it took me about 10 minutes and i followed Sandy's video from vaperev for kayfun. i used peaches n cream unbleached cotton yarn and 32 gauge kanthal, it came out to 1.8 ohms and rocked my socks off. BIG VAPOR, no leaks(had it for 2 days and 2 tanks full) and no dry hits. The provari has been great and kayfun is genius. now i need to sell my Zen atty pro as i have a 150 dollar paper weight.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Vaping is WAYY cheaper in the long run. Been to a hospital lately? Being a nonsmoker will save you thousands later in healthcare expenses. How about the next time you fill out that insurance paperwork! Smokers pay more in premiums. Now obamacare is a different story and dont get me started on that here. lol

I really hate that argument for savings because quitting smoking sent me to the ER and racked up about $20,000 in medical fees plus put me on meds at a tune of $500-$1000 a month for the rest of my life.

http://ibdcrohns.about.com/cs/ibdfaqs/a/smokingguts.htm

24mg

Nov 3, 2013
Orlando, FL, USA
Initially It's been expensive since I have chosen to vape, but my rational is that I have chosen a less damaging addiction, and look forward to spending my hard earned cash on devices and juices and what not, and maybe not some huge medical bill for some smoking related disease, which my father battled with, which was a wake up call for me.
It will become cheaper in the long run.

SueandCootie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2009
south central Mass
I really hate that argument for savings because quitting smoking sent me to the ER and racked up about $20,000 in medical fees plus put me on meds at a tune of $500-$1000 a month for the rest of my life.

http://ibdcrohns.about.com/cs/ibdfaqs/a/smokingguts.htm

This is interesting for me...I vaped an entire summer four years ago but wound up in the hospital also; it appears something in analogues other than the nic keeps my hyperthyroidism in check, and I became so hyper my heart rate was running away. This is why I fell off the wagon the first time...

Amazed about the money issue here...over TEN DOLLARS a pack here now in Mass!! I'd have a hard time spending what I spent on smokes for ecig stuff!!

ZenVaypeKC

Moved On
Nov 4, 2013
Kansas City, MO
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread