Issues with KangerTech Subox and/or efest batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMo81

Mar 17, 2015
Pennsylvania
I got a subtank nano and a kbox back in January. I started getting tired of buying replacement OCC coils and had no luck with re-wicking old coils with organic cotton (dry hits). Just got my new Subox today (love the RBA option) and unfortunately i'm having some problems. I put one of my fully charged efest IMR 18650 35A 2500MAH batteries that i've been using without issue on the kbox for 7 months. It worked fine for maybe 20 pulls and all of sudden it wouldn't fire and the battery indicator would blink 10 times. The next time I tried it worked fine. Then wouldn't fire/blinking battery. Is the problem with the new kbox mini or the batteries? I'm having the same issue with both of my batteries and when I put my old subtank nano on the kbox mini. It can't be the subtank mini tank. Could it be that the batteries are old and need to be replaced? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

thailand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Do you have a multimeter to check the battery? I would check it when you first take it out of the charger, and after the Subox says that its dead. From there, you can see if the issue is the battery, or the Subox. Good luck.

Honestly, sounds like the batteries are unable to keep a charge for a prolonged period of time if you're have an issue with multiple devices.

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I'm not a big fan of Efest Purples, but they're medium decent batteries, considering they're not Sony; I just don't trust them for even half of 35 amps. I have used them in the past. The advice you saw above about putting a meter on the batteries-- I assume you don't have a charger with a readout-- when they come off the charger and whenever the mod tells you they are flat is good stuff. If you don't have a multi-meter, go get one. You don't need a $500 Fluke, any old $10 Wal Mart meter will do to test batteries. You indicate the batts are old ones you've been using for a while. Batteries do wear out over time and with charging. It's possible the Purples are simply no longer any good, and you just hit the jackpot it was the same day you got the new mod. Still, from your description, I don't like the fact the mod will fire once with them, then read them flat, and then later fire with them again (if I have understood what you said.) To me, that sounds like a box issue.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Thanks all. I do not have a multimeter to check the batteries. They still work fine on my old kbox. I'm thinking about getting a brand new battery to try on the subox tomorrow. If it happens again that will confirm the kbox mini is defective.
Yeah, that will be a good indicator.

Reactions: dcfluegel

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
The Kt. Subox I believe does not use a spring on the negative post , see if it spins, and if so try 1 spin counter clock wise.
I'm waiting on my Subox so I don't know the facts without physically holding I in my hands.
Actually, the negative battery post in the mod does have a spring on it. What might be confusing you is the fact that the battery is inserted inverted, so the positive battery terminal is on the bottom of the mod and the negative is on the top.

Reactions: Mooch

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
The Subox battery connections are not adjustable, they're spring-loaded (and all of my batteries fit quite snug). I've used my Efests in my Subox without any problems, so I don't know if it's the type of battery.

7 months is quite a long time though. If you charged your battery once a day, that's 213 charge cycles. In my humble opinion, even if the Efests weren't acting up, it's getting to be about time to retire them. Once it hits the 300-400 charge cycle range it's pretty evident that the battery isn't holding its charge as long as it should/used to.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
The Subox battery connections are not adjustable, they're spring-loaded (and all of my batteries fit quite snug). I've used my Efests in my Subox without any problems, so I don't know if it's the type of battery.

7 months is quite a long time though. If you charged your battery once a day, that's 213 charge cycles. In my humble opinion, even if the Efests weren't acting up, it's getting to be about time to retire them. Once it hits the 300-400 charge cycle range it's pretty evident that the battery isn't holding its charge as long as it should/used to.
The way I look at it, with the 3.6 volt cutoff, the Subox only uses about half of the capacity of the battery. As a comparison, if I use the battery in my SX Mini all the way until the battery no longer fires the mod, when I put the battery in the charger the voltage reads a little under 3.2 volts. With a nominal voltage of 3.7 volts and a maximum of 4.2, this means that the SX Mini is using all of the available capacity of the battery without damaging the battery.

Reactions: Mooch

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
The way I look at it, with the 3.6 volt cutoff, the Subox only uses about half of the capacity of the battery. As a comparison, if I use the battery in my SX Mini all the way until the battery no longer fires the mod, when I put the battery in the charger the voltage reads a little under 3.2 volts. With a nominal voltage of 3.7 volts and a maximum of 4.2, this means that the SX Mini is using all of the available capacity of the battery without damaging the battery.

On the contrary, I don't recommend discharging your batteries much lower than 3.5V. In fact, the higher nominal voltage you can charge your batteries at, the longer their lifespan.

For this reason I don't discharge my batteries farther than 50% on my Sigelei 150, because at 10% (when the device stops firing) the battery's voltage is 3.2V. Too low.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
Hello I'm EBates and I am a Tootle Puffer. I vape my DNA30 and DNA50 Boxes at 7 watts and my KF's sport a 2.5 ohm coil.
I have used a set of 4 Panny 18650PF's for over a year now ( the 4 are used in rotation) using the 'Low Voltage' warning of my DNA's to tell me when I need to swap batteries (supposedly low voltage is ~3.2vdc, but I've never checked). My point being that a decent battery should last a lot more than 6-7 months and discharging below 3.5 or what ever voltage, IME, has had no effect.
Mechanical mods are a different story but regulated mods, I stop when the mod says stop with no ill effects (to this point).:2c:

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Hello I'm EBates and I am a Tootle Puffer. I vape my DNA30 and DNA50 Boxes at 7 watts and my KF's sport a 2.5 ohm coil.
I have used a set of 4 Panny 18650PF's for over a year now ( the 4 are used in rotation) using the 'Low Voltage' warning of my DNA's to tell me when I need to swap batteries (supposedly low voltage is ~3.2vdc, but I've never checked). My point being that a decent battery should last a lot more than 6-7 months and discharging below 3.5 or what ever voltage, IME, has had no effect.
Mechanical mods are a different story but regulated mods, I stop when the mod says stop with no ill effects (to this point).:2c:
Personally, I think recharging at 3.5/3.6 volts and not letting the battery drop below that is overkill. When the mod cuts off at or just below 3.2 volts, it is still well above the minimum voltage. For example, the Orbtronics SX30 battery has a minimum discharge battery voltage of 2.5 volts. This means at 2.5 volts, the battery is essentially fully discharged (and fully discharging will potentially damage your battery). The Sony VTC5 has a minimum voltage of 2.7 volts. The Samsung 25R and the LG HE4/HE2 all have minimum voltage ratings of 2.5 volts.

So what this really means is that if you let the battery voltage fall to 3.2 volts before recharging, you are really only using 60 percent of the battery capacity and are recharging it at 40 percent (assuming that the battery drop is linear).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread