Kanger Subox flashing Ohm reader, doesn't fire, still reads ohms. Atty works on my ego-one battery!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HG97

Jun 25, 2015
Please help. My Kanger subox Mini (Kbox mini) does NOT fire. It reads my Ohms just fine, but when I press the button it doesn't fire and the Ohm reading flashes 10 times. The Subtank atomizer is fine I have tried it with other batterys (eGo-One battery) and my eGo-One Atomizer does not work on the Sub/Kbox Mini.

I've tried a different 18650 battery and I have adjusted the 510 pin on both the Kbox and Subtank still no luck. I found a video of another person that has the same issue which I will post below.

EDIT: Also I feel like I should mention the Ohm meter flashes exactly 10 tines every time I press the button. I have read that other people have this problem with the kbox and everyone seems to get a different amount of flashes. So does the 10x flashing Ohm meter mean anything in particular?

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I don't know if this will work on the subox but have you tried adjusting the center pin?

Just make sure that if you use something conductive (metal) to pry up on the center pin that you do NOT hit the fire button while you are working on the battery. Or better yet, turn off the battery.

Center Pin Issue - Fixing a non firing eGo battery

HG97

Jun 25, 2015
I've tried a different 18650 battery and I have adjusted the 510 pin on both the Kbox and Subtank still no luck.
I don't know if this will work on the subox but have you tried adjusting the center pin?

Just make sure that if you use something conductive (metal) to pry up on the center pin that you do NOT hit the fire button while you are working on the battery. Or better yet, turn off the battery.

Center Pin Issue - Fixing a non firing eGo battery
^^ Thanks for replying though.

Reactions: Susan~S

thailand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Please help. My Kanger Subox Mini (Kbox mini) does NOT fire. It reads my Ohms just fine, but when I press the button it doesn't fire and the Ohm reading flashes 10 times. The Subtank atomizer is fine I have tried it with other batterys (eGo-One battery) and my eGo-One Atomizer does not work on the Sub/Kbox Mini.

I've tried a different 18650 battery and I have adjusted the 510 pin on both the Kbox and Subtank still no luck. I found a video of another person that has the same issue which I will post below.

You may have a short on the coil. That usually causes the blinking ohm meter. Open it up and fire it while you have a clear view of the coil. Be safe though, don't get too close.
The ends of the coils gets super close to the "shroud" and it can cause a short.

Good luck, hope you find the issue.

HG97

Jun 25, 2015
You may have a short on the coil. That usually causes the blinking ohm meter. Open it up and fire it while you have a clear view of the coil. Be safe though, don't get too close.
The ends of the coils gets super close to the "shroud" and it can cause a short.

Good luck, hope you find the issue.
I took of the tank so just the base and the coil were attached, still doesn't fire. I have used this atomizer on a mech(like) mod and it fires. I have also used it with a crappy ego battery aswell and it fires normally.

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
The subox does blink when it has a short, so i would check for that. :)
Other than that, as mentioned it would perhaps be the 510 connection, which you've checked.
But the blinking does indicate a short...

Edit:

I took of the tank so just the base and the coil were attached, still doesn't fire. I have used this atomizer on a mech(like) mod and it fires. I have also used it with a crappy ego battery aswell and it fires normally.

Never try to fire a eventually(or shorted) on a mech. Things will go bad. :(
A mech doesn't tell any errors, it'll just fire. And if it's shorted you're risking a battery thermal runaway.

Altho if it does fire on an ego, it sounds like the 510 doesn't make the connection.

HG97

Jun 25, 2015
The subox does blink when it has a short, so i would check for that. :)
Other than that, as mentioned it would perhaps be the 510 connection, which you've checked.
But the blinking does indicate a short...
How do I check to see if it is a short? And if it is a short, (I'm not 100% clear on what that means) how do I fix it?

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
How do I check to see if it is a short? And if it is a short, (I'm not 100% clear on what that means) how do I fix it?

Using an ohm-meter or an multimeter. You could use any other Regulated device to check aswell if you've any.
Ohm-meter or multimeter would be your best bet though.
Premade coils aren't always the best. (I've had shorted kangers before, that's why i suspect it could be.)

thailand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I wouldn't even fix a shorted coil, just make a new one. I shorted one before, as I didn't trim the excess off the side enough and it hit the side of the RBA. Make a new one, make sure the screws are tight, and vape away!

We WILL find out whats going on here!!! haha

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
One more question, are the coils 0.3 ohms or less? The Subox won't fire something that low.
And a short could be checked with an ohm-meter or multimeter.

I failed to mention this, great advice! If it's lower than 0.3 (usualy) it'll warn either "atomizer to low" or just blink (Shorted.) While it might fire on a mech due it's actually say 0.2 or 0.1. (0.1 is dangerously near a short and shouln't be used.)

Reactions: thailand

thailand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I failed to mention this, great advice! If it's lower than 0.3 (usualy) it'll warn either "atomizer to low" or just blink (Shorted.) While it might fire on a mech due it's actually say 0.2 or 0.1. (0.1 is dangerously near a short and shouln't be used.)
Thanks sleezy, we're going to figure this out!!! No vaper left behind!

Reactions: SleeZy

HG97

Jun 25, 2015
One more question, are the coils 0.3 ohms or less? The Subox won't fire something that low.
And a short could be checked with an ohm-meter or multimeter.
I had used an RBA reading 0.3 at one point before it stopped working. I don't remember how soon before though.
Also just to clarify I haven't been using the RBA it seems to taste burnt even at 25w. I have been using the 0.5 ohm coil, and that works on my mech mod.

Using an ohm-meter or an multimeter. You could use any other Regulated device to check aswell if you've any.
Ohm-meter or multimeter would be your best bet though.
Premade coils aren't always the best. (I've had shorted kangers before, that's why i suspect it could be.)
I have the Subox Mini, can I not use that to read my Ohms because it is reading accurately?

thailand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Sorry, forgot to answer your question...
A short is when the electrical current is interrupted. On a normal coil, there is a positive and negative post. If some sort of metal(or conductive material) gets in between that, it'll cause an interruption in the current and "short" out. This can cause failure of the coil, even for the coil to break.
Thats why I suggest that you try a rebuild, even go for a higher ohm build, like 1.0, just to make sure it works.

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
I had used an RBA reading 0.3 at one point before it stopped working. I don't remember how soon before though.
Also just to clarify I haven't been using the RBA it seems to taste burnt even at 25w. I have been using the 0.5 ohm coil, and that works on my mech mod.

I have the Subox Mini, can I not use that to read my Ohms because it is reading accurately?

You can use it, altho since it's giving you troubles atm. I do suggest you to use another device to check.

Also that your 0.3 stopped working was probably due, once the coil gets used it went lower ohms than 0.3.
Which is very common. If you build at 0.3 ohms precisly, it can turn out to be 0.25 ohms once you've fired it a few times.

Reactions: thailand

thailand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
You can use it, altho since it's giving you troubles atm. I do suggest you to use another device to check.

Also that your 0.3 stopped working was probably due, once the coil gets used it went lower ohms than 0.3.
Which is very common. If you build at 0.3 ohms precisly, it can turn out to be 0.25 ohms once you've fired it a few times.
THIS!!! Metal expands when heated and can cause ohms to go down, even slightly enough to read less than 0.3. It seems you were right there.

Reactions: SleeZy

HG97

Jun 25, 2015
THIS!!! Metal expands when heated and can cause ohms to go down, even slightly enough to read less than 0.3. It seems you were right there.
I did only have a couple of vapes using it though. And it actually seemed to stop working when I was rebuilding the 0.3 ohm coil, sometimes the RBA would fire but sometimes it wouldn't and I'd have to adjust the bits and pieces of the coil for it to fire, then I put in my 0.5 ohm coil and it was a no go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread