Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I'd be surprised if that doesn't tempt people to try adding nicotine to them. On the other extreme, with vapor-free inhalers, they'd be good for dual use with vaping. vaping where allowed, inhaling on the bus and in restaraunts.

In fact, when I first started having more trouble with my asthma last fall, someone suggested putting some liquid albuterol in my DIY mix, but unfortunately I don't have access to any liquid albuterol anymore. Just inhalers.

I've thought of it often, when out and about; I can pull out my inhaler and take a puff from it anytime, anywhere, in any circumstances. I'd be willing to bet that if I did that with my mod, there would be a lot of outrage to deal with. Or at least a little outrage -- because it *looks* like smoking, so it must be the same thing, doncha know. :facepalm:

Andria

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Thank you, Andria, Niknik. Am now on a continuing education search. Whew! So many medications and inhaler choices for asthma. Of course, an asthma sufferer would not as frequently use asthma inhalers the way I chain vape my mod, but I don't intentionally inhale into lungs......Mouth and out....or mouth, nose and out. Could be reason am still walkin'. :)

Reactions: Lessifer

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
The only "relation" of COPD to B. O. is that B. O. can SEEM a lot like COPD, so it [B.O.] is often misdiagnosed; B. O. can only be diagnosed correctly by a lung biopsy, which many are reluctant to do, unless treating the patient for COPD is not working.

BO may be more common than anyone realizes, both among smokers and non smokers. The automatic response is to diagnose COPD, but this may be in error based on the above source and based on common sense.
There are enough biopsy's done every year to determine if in fact BO is being misdiagnosed
as COPD. I have read many times in the literature that BO is or could most likely be being
misdiagnosed as COPD. As of yet there is no evidence of misdiagnosis,just conjecture.
i think I am being reasonable in assuming that if smoking caused OB we would know.
The ANTZ would have shoved the fact down smokers throats as another reason smoking
is bad.
:2c:
Regards
mike

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
There are enough biopsy's done every year to determine if in fact BO is being misdiagnosed
as COPD. I have read many times in the literature that BO is or could most likely be being
misdiagnosed as COPD. As of yet there is no evidence of misdiagnosis,just conjecture.
i think I am being reasonable in assuming that if smoking caused COPD we would know.
The ANTZ would have shoved the fact down smokers throats as another reason smoking
is bad.
:2c:
Regards
mike

Umm... COPD is VERY OFTEN caused by smoking. At least, smoking is one of the known proximal causes of it. And yeah, that fact gets shoved down every throat in sight.

When I was first diagnosed with asthma, I was told that if I didn't quit smoking immediately if not sooner, that i *WOULD* develop COPD. I smoked for another 30 yrs.... and AFAIK, I don't have COPD -- just asthma.

Andria

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Umm... COPD is VERY OFTEN caused by smoking. At least, smoking is one of the known proximal causes of it. And yeah, that fact gets shoved down every throat in sight.

When I was first diagnosed with asthma, I was told that if I didn't quit smoking immediately if not sooner, that i *WOULD* develop COPD. I smoked for another 30 yrs.... and AFAIK, I don't have COPD -- just asthma.

Andria
Sorry, I meant OB in the underlined. I have corrected that.
Regards
Mike

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Sorry, I meant OB in the underlined. I have corrected that.
Regards
Mike

Ok, I wondered if that was the case. It's right in line with the earlier discussion that perhaps something in all those thousands of toxins is protecting smokers from B. O. (while putting them at risk for COPD, among other things!).

I remember the smoker's mindset very clearly... "why would smoke harm me?" But now my attitude is 180 degrees from that -- "Why WOULDN'T it?"

Andria

Reactions: skoony

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Cough syrup works because it contains active ingredients which work systemically. They're saying the bitter thing works because the airways have bitter taste receptors -- but if you drink something, it doesn't go into your airway -- it shouldn't anyway, or there will be a LOT of coughing. To get into the airway, something has to be in gas or vapor form. When they come up with a version of this in an inhalant form, I'll certainly try it.

Andria
It doesn't have to go into your airway to affect the bitter taste receptors. And I'm surprised it doesn't occur to you to vape it if you want it to!:D

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
It doesn't have to go into your airway to affect the bitter taste receptors. And I'm surprised it doesn't occur to you to vape it if you want it to!:D

Well, mostly because tonic isn't ejuice, and I have no earthly idea what it would do to a coil or atty.

I don't do "home cures" for my asthma; I use the medicine my doctor prescribes. Period. I don't want to die, nor end up in the hospital.

Andria

nopatch

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2011
India
There used to be (Quite a long long time ago,perhaps) PG in some nebulizer solutions.

As of today PG is not in any regular nebulizer solutions.

ventolin inhalation solution has water, mostly.

This pg in inhalers and other asthma medication is a myth propogated by Ecig suppliers.It gained so much traction that a millions posts are made by ecig users repeating the myth.

nopatch

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2011
India
I'd be surprised if that doesn't tempt people to try adding nicotine to them. On the other extreme, with vapor-free inhalers, they'd be good for dual use with vaping. Vaping where allowed, inhaling on the bus and in restaraunts.

Actually it is not a bad idea, In my not so considered opinion :p. Since there is no heating water would probably make an excellent carrier for nicotine.

One has to take care of nicotine overdose, though.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
There used to be (Quite a long long time ago,perhaps) PG in some nebulizer solutions.

As of today PG is not in any regular nebulizer solutions.

ventolin inhalation solution has water, mostly.

This pg in inhalers and other asthma medication is a myth propogated by Ecig suppliers.It gained so much traction that a millions posts are made by ecig users repeating the myth.

They took out the PG, huh? Weird. I figured the PG was why it was so vaporous; can't imagine what it would be like now.

Andria

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Well, mostly because tonic isn't ejuice, and I have no earthly idea what it would do to a coil or atty.

I don't do "home cures" for my asthma; I use the medicine my doctor prescribes. Period. I don't want to die, nor end up in the hospital.

Andria
The tonic is mostly water. There are some old posts about using water in e-juice. It seems like small quantities are ok (20%).
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/water-and-e-juice.304408/
Sugar might be a problem due to caramelization.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/sweeten-my-ejuice.138980/
So maybe the diet version?
http://www.shopwell.com/faygo-diet-tonic-with-quinine/diet-soda/p/7380000201
Or this TFA - Cappuccino flavoring has quinine in it already.
https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/tfa-cappuccino.html

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
My mind wandered back to this subject, and I thought: What if the quinine e-cig actually worked to relax the airways of a person having an asthma attack? Would the EMTs on a breathing call give the victim an e-cig? Now that would be an e-cig really, not just rhetorically, saving someone's life! And how big of a cow would the FDA have about it! This is interesting, and somebody who has asthma ought to check it out.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
If there was something actually vapable (not soda water!) that contained quinine, I might actually try that out. But, thanks to the FDA, I can no longer buy quinine in the supplements section, it has to be prescribed by a doctor -- I use to buy quinine in capsules, for my leg cramps, but at some point it disappeared from the shelves; when we asked a pharmacist about it, he said the FDA had decided that quinine, in large quantities, must be prescribed, not OTC. I guess it worked too well, and was undercutting BP's profit margin on prescription drugs. :facepalm:

Andria

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
If there was something actually vapable (not soda water!) that contained quinine, I might actually try that out. But, thanks to the FDA, I can no longer buy quinine in the supplements section, it has to be prescribed by a doctor -- I use to buy quinine in capsules, for my leg cramps, but at some point it disappeared from the shelves; when we asked a pharmacist about it, he said the FDA had decided that quinine, in large quantities, must be prescribed, not OTC. I guess it worked too well, and was undercutting BP's profit margin on prescription drugs. :facepalm:

Andria
You must have missed my last link, which says "Or this TFA - Cappuccino flavoring has quinine in it already." Read the ingredients.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
You must have missed my last link, which says "Or this TFA - Cappuccino flavoring has quinine in it already." Read the ingredients.

Cool! I'll give it a whirl, next time I'm ordering TFA flavors! Thx! But I wonder if the bitter factor of quinine would still apply, with all the sweetener and cream flavor I add to anything-coffee-flavored?

Andria

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Cool! I'll give it a whirl, next time I'm ordering TFA flavors! Thx! But I wonder if the bitter factor of quinine would still apply, with all the sweetener and cream flavor I add to anything-coffee-flavored?

Andria
I'm sure it would still work, because while you're aware of the overall flavor, the bitter receptors are only "aware" of the bitter flavor. Sort of like, it only takes one GOOD chemical.

Reactions: AndriaD

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I started diy a couple weeks ago. Great success so far. I got only one flavor, the one you mention. How do I find the list of ingrediants? It's shocking how inexpensive DIY is and especially since I prefer my simple one flavor to any pre mix I've tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread