Not open for further replies.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
Yeah but all those pay channels with a few exceptions show the same movies over and over. If you watch them a lot you don't get real variety. HBO is the best the others just show a lot of crap which you've probably already seen.

Thats the actual channel, If you have HBO now you just stream whatever you want. But my point was that if everyone switched to streaming g and no one paid for cable that there wouldn't be high budget shows like game of thrones and walking dead. We'd be probably watching stuff like married with children or friends.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
OMG, stripped the v16.1 version of Kodi that came pre-loaded with addons from hell, and loaded v17 with just the addons I actually use. What a world of difference. Went ahead and set it up with PIA and it is still light years faster than the old setup with no VPN.

Mike et all,

Loaded K17 on my LT fer evaluation. Thus far, slow as Vermont syrup dis time o' year vs. da ol' 16.

Hope to curtail RL so I can devote mo' time to testing...

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Thats the actual channel, If you have HBO now you just stream whatever you want. But my point was that if everyone switched to streaming g and no one paid for cable that there wouldn't be high budget shows like game of thrones and walking dead. We'd be probably watching stuff like married with children or friends.
Yeah you can I use HBO go but when they take it off like they do when they decide you can't just watch any show that was on HBO. When they decide they take it off. I agree that some of the original shows they have now days are great and big budget. Westworld is great. But they aren't huting by any means.

Last edited:

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
Yeah you can I use HBO go but when they take it off like they do when they decide you can't just watch any show that was on HBO. When they decide they take it off. I agree that some of the original shows they have now days are great and big budget. Westworld is great. But they aren't huting by any means.
Trust me they are starting to feel it. Not from kodi but kodi will never be mainstream, not everyone could or should use kodi, but I mean from the legitimate streaming and iptv that give you more than cable at a fraction of cost. Even some companies are starting to offer a really stripped down package for 40/mo but it's funny bc my PS vue gives many more channels than that for half.

HBO and showtime and whatnot will be fine bc they did the smart thing and offer their services independently from cable.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Which router? You don't want to use it n your home router.

I have a Netgear 7800. Though if I decide to do the VPN Tunnel to a router I think I will get a second router. I dont want to add the lag to things like my Home Automation, and for that matter, even on my PC I want to be able to turn it off at will. Some sites, like banks etc get all skittish if they dont recognize your IP.

Might just stick with individual clients. The USA ones are faster, but sometimes I want to connect to foreign site to get around regional restrictions. Selecting the region by device is working well right now.

Reactions: kiba and Iffy

YePsTeR

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
Northern Michigan
Up/down loads......I was kinda a nerd when it came to KickAS$ Torrents back in the day. They are gone now so I don't pursue torrents much any more. That's why I find this thread so interesting to me. I have kodi and have been playing around with it. I also use Plex a lot.

My question is why would I use PIA on my router and how can I get live tv or is it just better to wait a day or so and look around for a show that I am interested in?

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Up/down loads......I was kinda a nerd when it came to KickAS$ Torrents back in the day. They are gone now so I don't pursue torrents much any more. That's why I find this thread so interesting to me. I have kodi and have been playing around with it. I also use Plex a lot.

My question is why would I use PIA on my router and how can I get live tv or is it just better to wait a day or so and look around for a show that I am interested in?

Doing PIA straight to the router has upsides and downsides. If you have a router with a VPN "client" on it like a DD-WRT or Rotten Tomatoes compatible router, then doing the VPN covers your whole house, since your router is protected - any device going through the router is. This can be good if you have several TVs and PCs you want going through the VPN. The downside is that some sites, like banks, may not like you coming in from unknown I/Ps. Also, you can only use one VPN endpoint at a time on the router, where individual clients on each device can go to multiple endpoints simultaneously. I.e USA endpoints are faster, but foreign endpoints can get you past regional restricts.

For example the USTVNOW-Plus addon gives free live major network TV but only outside the US, so I VPN into Canada or wherever and get it that way.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I'm slow going on Kodi right now because of too many user error problems. Seems like my other equipment- telling me somethings wrong or just not working at all. Someday electronics will provide solutions with problem reporting, or just fix the darn things when they come up, haha.

I love it when I'm having internet problems and the pc offers to take me online to find a solution...

Hey, anyone find Coach tv series reruns?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread