• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Ladies who rebuild....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbolack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2009
Tulsa
Resistance (measured in ohms) is really a function of the length of the wire. So the inconsistencies could be because the tightness of the wraps is not consistent, or because there is more distance between your individual wraps on some coils than others. Also, what are you using to measure your ohms? The same thing every time? I have several vv/vw mods and they aren't entirely consistent with each other on this. I've been rebuilding for 4 or 5 months now, much to the detriment of my credit card balance. But I'm still getting better at it every week. It is really fun and I'm not having to toss half of the cartos I buy anymore.
So far, my favorite by far is the Typhun GT. I have accumulated quite a few RBAs since my first but that's my favorite.
Hope this helps...

Hello Ladies....

Been a while since I have posted here. So glad that so many of you ladies are having good success rebuilding!

I am trying to master rebuilding protank heads. It is not nearly as easy as it looks, but I keep trying. I did a resistance "study" a week and a half ago using 28 gauge, and found I wasn't going to be able to get to where I needed to go with that....so I ordered some 30 and 31 and finally got that in over the weekend.

I have been working with the 30g this morning and am finding that I am lacking consistency. I am using a 1/16 drill bit that I buried into a fat dowel, and have wrapped six times with various results.

So.... on a 1/16 drill bit, using 30g Kanthal, I have gotten:
6 wraps= 1.74 ohms
7 wraps=1.64 ohms
5 wraps= 1.19 ohms
9 wraps= 2.05 ohms
8 wraps= 1.64 ohms
6 wraps= 1.35 ohms
8 wraps= 1.68 ohms.
......see why I am frustrated? closest to consistent is the 8 wrap, but the first 6 wrap was nearly exactly what I was looking for! :(

Well, I ended up buying a kayfun lite plus and loved it so much I immediately bought a kayfun 3.1 and a nano. Then I found a killer deal on a magneto, taifun gt, rsst, igo-w, omega and a iclear 30 so I bought them too! Havent used the rsst or the taifun gt yet, I'm waiting on my kanthal and mesh to come. But I've had a blast building my kayfuns! I've found I really like a 0.7 to 0.9 ohm coil with organic cotton! I also got the aspire nautilus tank and really like it as well! Well worth the $$$ for it IMO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbolack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2009
Tulsa
Can't speak for the others, but I really love my tyfun GTs. I have 3... one real one, one Hcigar clone and one Rainbow Heaven clone.
It is really hard to tell the dif between the real one and the HCigar clone... the RH, not so much. I have great luck with organic cotton in them, but use silica when I know I'll need more than one day's use from the wick. I like the dark juices, which really gunk up the coil, so I have to pull out the cotton daily, dry burn the coil, and put in more cotton. I also am really happy with degummed hemp fiber wicks in my GTs. If I am traveling, which is seldom, I go to doubled-over 3.5mm silica wick.
There's a bit of a learning curve with these types of rebuildables, usually referred to as RTAs, but it is definitely worth it! I do stay above 1.2 ohms, though, because I prefer to use these on my provaris. Normally I go for about 1.5 - 1.8 ohms, and I'm really happy there.

Well, I ended up buying a kayfun lite plus and loved it so much I immediately bought a kayfun 3.1 and a nano. Then I found a killer deal on a magneto, taifun gt, rsst, igo-w, omega and a iclear 30 so I bought them too! Havent used the rsst or the taifun gt yet, I'm waiting on my kanthal and mesh to come. But I've had a blast building my kayfuns! I've found I really like a 0.7 to 0.9 ohm coil with organic cotton! I also got the aspire nautilus tank and really like it as well! Well worth the $$$ for it IMO!

Can't speak for the others, but I really love my tyfun GTs. I have 3... one real one, one Hcigar clone and one Rainbow Heaven clone.
It is really hard to tell the dif between the real one and the HCigar clone... the RH, not so much. I have great luck with organic cotton in them, but use silica when I know I'll need more than one day's use from the wick. I like the dark juices, which really gunk up the coil, so I have to pull out the cotton daily, dry burn the coil, and put in more cotton. I also am really happy with degummed hemp fiber wicks in my GTs. If I am traveling, which is seldom, I go to doubled-over 3.5mm silica wick.
There's a bit of a learning curve with these types of rebuildables, usually referred to as RTAs, but it is definitely worth it! I do stay above 1.2 ohms, though, because I prefer to use these on my provaris. Normally I go for about 1.5 - 1.8 ohms, and I'm really happy there.

I'm really excited to try it out, finally got more kanthal yesterday, but after rebuilding 2 kayfuns, a dual on the omega and the igo w....last night I was ready for bed! Lol I love the way it looks tho! It's big and almost has a steam punk/piston vibe to it.... Very cool. Rebuilding has brought vaping into a whole new light for me.... I thought I loved it when I had just iclear16's and a PTM2, but now, wow the flavor is amazing! Flavors that I didn't care for before, b/c of lack of flavor are good now!

chapeltown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
United States
Resistance (measured in ohms) is really a function of the length of the wire. So the inconsistencies could be because the tightness of the wraps is not consistent, or because there is more distance between your individual wraps on some coils than others. Also, what are you using to measure your ohms? The same thing every time? I have several vv/vw mods and they aren't entirely consistent with each other on this. I've been rebuilding for 4 or 5 months now, much to the detriment of my credit card balance. But I'm still getting better at it every week. It is really fun and I'm not having to toss half of the cartos I buy anymore.
So far, my favorite by far is the Typhun GT. I have accumulated quite a few RBAs since my first but that's my favorite.
Hope this helps...

It does help, thank you! Yes, I only measure my ohms when I am building on an ohm meter.

On my phone as usual...

baseballmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2013
SE PA
sincemylastcigarette.com
well- did it finally-rebuilt my own protank/evod head-been talking and thinking awhile on it and did it-myself- my husband was chomping at bit to do it for me, but I said "no, I gotta try on my own-let ME figure it out, I'm the one who vapes here"-7 wraps 30 g kanthal came out to 1.6 ohm on my mvp 2-took a few attempts-but I did it-I know it doesn't seem like much, but being able to make my own coils means a lot to me-now will need to get an ohm meter eventually to get more accurate(I hope) readings-it's a start for me though-think i'll be needing 32 g kanthal or an 8 wrap coil to get higher ohms reading? one thing I noticed is-my coils "look nicer" than stock coils do-imo-also read more posts on this thread-I will keep practicing and tinkering:)

Last edited:

chapeltown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
United States
Baseball mom~ I think it is awesome that you are building your pro Tank heads!
And I think it is a big thing!
Think about it, many businesses are charging between $1.50 and $2.50 per head! When we get this rebuilding thing down, we could be saving a ton of money! Not to mention, I think there is a significant flavor improvement in cotton over the silica.
To answer your question, yes, I believe that 32 with the same number of wraps will give you a higher ohms reading. I just got in some 32 myself, and will be fooling with it in the next day or so.
Great Job, baseball mom!!! :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

chapeltown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
United States
Hello everyone!
I am so very pleased! I got brave enough to rebuild two rdas! The one on the right is a Phoenix clone, and the one on the left is a bt801. Both 36 gage kanthal at about 4 wraps reading 2.75 ohms. Yay!!!
u9ubajyt.jpg

dedi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2010
Rochester NY
Thanks Dedi!
I think the resistance is a little too high, but it is working, and I finally got past the initial "Oh Crap, this is scary!!!" thing.

Now if I could just get my protank heads to behave!

You can always just play with them to find what you like! My problem is my built coils last so long with a dry burn and cotton that I don't build often! By the time I build more I've forgotton what I did! Guess I need more RDA's!!!!!!!!!!!

chapeltown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
United States
I have never tried the protank! I hear good and bad :)

Built correctly, the Protank is awesome! But it is important to get the right coils and build.....
Here is the thing for me..... I love that they are glass because I can vape any juice I want. And I love that if I start with the right parts (finding that knockoffs don't always work out....have a bunch of waste there) you can build with yarn and it is sooo yummy!!!

bhswmc01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Boise, Idaho, United States
Me too. I have been building for a few months...started with protank heads and now microcoils on a kayfun. So glad to see this thread

This is my story, too! Now I'm trying microcoils for the protank. I'm getting a lot of leaking, though - I'm guessing that I'm just not using enough cotton. I love the Kayfun, though - may have to get another one, or try a RSST.

Lavaca5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hello, Ladies. Do yourselves a favor and get one of these:

Amazon.com: Artistic Wire Coiling Gizmo(R) Deluxe Winder for Jewelry Making: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

This little gadget makes perfect micro coils. It's effortless and idiot-proof. You'll be tearing out perfectly good coils just for the fun of making new ones :) I believe there's a video on YouTube by super_X_drifter that demonstrates how to use it, but you probably don't need it - it's pretty self-explanatory once you see it. Can't stress enough what a great little tool this is.

dedi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2010
Rochester NY
Hello, Ladies. Do yourselves a favor and get one of these:

Amazon.com: Artistic Wire Coiling Gizmo(R) Deluxe Winder for Jewelry Making: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

This little gadget makes perfect micro coils. It's effortless and idiot-proof. You'll be tearing out perfectly good coils just for the fun of making new ones :) I believe there's a video on YouTube by super_X_drifter that demonstrates how to use it, but you probably don't need it - it's pretty self-explanatory once you see it. Can't stress enough what a great little tool this is.

I have one Lava! And you are correct, it is super cool and very easy to use! I agree with you on just making more b/c it's fun! lol

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I know I'm kinda late on this bandwagon, but about a week ago grabbed some cotton balls and a length of kanthal. I'm using EVOD tanks - nothing fancy yet. I'm wrapping around a toothpick and 5 or 6 wraps lands me at about 2.3-2.5 ohms. Thread a little cotton through there and I have a really nice vape at 8W on my VV3 or MVP2. I see everyone talking about kfuns and Russians, but what am I missing?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

chapeltown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
United States
Hey Dinger- welcome to the thread!
If you're building evod and protank heads, you are well on your way to being able to build just about anything! What Guage of kanthal are you using? If I had to guess, I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of 32 or 34.
In any case, evod clearomizers are really nice for on the go vaping. Fill it and you are done for several hours. Kayfuns, Russian, eternity and igo - w are all types of dripping atomizers. Essentially, you wrap a coil like you have been doing, thread it into the center and outer posts of the atomizer, thread your cotton or silica through and drip a few drops of your preferred liquid and vape.
The advantages can be:
Stronger flavor
Stronger throat hit
Better nic absorbsion.
Also, it is easier to go from flavor to flavor.
Disadvantages can be:
May have to drip juice every vape session to every couple of hours
Can be messy for travel
Not quite grab and go. Needs more fiddling.
J
2ymedu7y.jpg

^This is a vision eternity

ygu3enes.jpg

This is a Phoenix v4 type dripper.

from my galaxy s4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread