Let's make a list of juices/flavors that crack tanks, ce2's/clearos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpyderBite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Sedona, AZ
I've always had problems with Wintergreen flavors and CE# style clearomizers. It didn't seem to matter which vendor the liquid or tanks came from. It was about 4-6 days before they started leaking.

I have metal mt3 tanks now so I'm not as concerned. And I'm switching to ProTanks in the near future so perhaps I can ditch the fruit flavors and go back to my favorite wintergreen again. :)

a wandering soul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
North Carolina
Let me add to the list. Blueberry candy from killerliquid.com is a definite tank cracker! Ugh.. destroyed my iclear16 in 12 hours.. well less than.. it seemed empty sooner than it should be.. dn think much on it.. went to refill & saw black gunk & the driptip was eaten up.. reassembled & blew through it blocking the normal exit point.. air blew through numerous places in the tank.. bummer..

But I won it in a contest.. so I cant be too mad..

I can has tapatalked this.

CallmeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
Katy, Texas, USA
Is this the beginning stages of "cracking"? I mixed up some strong TFA Spearmint and it just gagged me. It may just have been way too strong and this is crystallization, but it was SO nasty. My whole house stunk so bad I had to open all the windows and air out a 3000sq foot house in summer, in South Texas. I bought a Protank 2 after that. I want to know for sure what's going on in my tank. If I wanted cancer, I'd smoke cigarettes.

http://brentnewton.deviantart.com/art/F-d-Up-e-Tank-455423628

Stray Black Cat

Jun 22, 2014
Florida
Since tanks do not list the plasticisers and e-juices may not list ingredients compatibility may vary from the list. If tank clouds or cracks then the liquid should be considered contaminated with leached plasticiser and disposed of. Deterioration of the drip tips, coil insulators and seals should also be watched. Just so you know, FDA Food safe plastic should be considered a myth as there is no independent testing done.
The FDA has no government-run process of inspection of plastics produced for food contact use. Instead their regulations provides certain standards regarding composition, additives, and properties. A material which meets these standards can then be stated as FDA COMPLIANT. For a product to be USDA COMPLIANT, components used in direct food contact must be documented as to their compliance with the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act ("FDA compliance") by a written letter of guaranty from the manufacturer to ensure that they are formulated in compliance with appropriate regulations. In short, current FDA and USDA policies allow food contact plastics quality and compliance to be self-certified by the manufacturers without prior Agency review and approval. Yes, they police themselves. For your interests, two items are required to determine FDA compliance and/or safety, your intended end use and the exact chemical composition of the plastic. We know what our end use will be but we cannot get the polymer composition. As far as the manufacturer is concerned, FDA compliant food contact formulations are mixed for the manufacturers specific end use. These vary for single use or reusable item formulations. Most formulations are proprietary secrets and will not be released. Only the manufacturer knows what is in the actual polymer so only they can determine its designed end uses and other allowable uses, There are also no mandatory labeling requirements for identifying food safe products.
This gives a false sense of security to Americans who use the plastics everyday. Note your sandwich baggies don't say food safe anywhere on the box. This irks me that FDA seeks to ban or regulate vaping when it pretends to watch big industry on products we are led to believe as safe.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
............. The other thing I like about the Pyrex idea is that it is pretty much a non scratch and non porous material so you won't get a scratch in it that may end up collecting contaminates that may ultimately affect your tank. If you scratch a polycarbonate tube you run the risk of something unsavory getting into that scratch and staying there, which ultimately can lead to biological hazards taking hold of your favorite tank.

Just my opinion, but aren't u overthinking this. I mean contaminates and bio-harzard buildup in tanks with scratches, come on. For one, any juice vapor entering ur lungs is first run thru a very hot coil killing most anything. And 2nd, whats the differance between a scratch in a plastic tank compared to a corner, tip edge, or crevice in a glass or pyrex tank. If you don't clean ur pyrex tank pieces they can get buildup.

Over a period of time a corner, edge, or crevice in a glass/pyrex tank could also collect contaminates/bio-harzards just as a scratch in a plastic tank. Both plastic and pyrex could get contaminate buildup in them with no scratches. Cleaning either w/soap and water is the only way to be sure and I doubt most people do that.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
Liquid containing Triacetin can soften or crack plastic. It's a plasticizer Triacetin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Wow, listen to this.
Triacetin is an artificial chemical compound, commonly used as a food additive, for instance as a solvent in flavourings. It can also be used as a fuel additive as an antiknock agent which can reduce engine knocking in gasoline, and to improve cold and viscosity properties of biodiesel.
In a 1994 report released by five top cigarette companies, triacetin was listed as one of the 599 cigarette additives. The triacetin is applied to the filter as a plasticizer.

Looks like we should shy away from any juice/flavoring with Triacetin.

Stray Black Cat

Jun 22, 2014
Florida
Chips and scratches in tanks are really insignificant for the most part. They're just weak points structurally. Fogging if actually just build up is not an issue either. The issue is why the tanks crack. Certain oils and solvents liberate the plasticisers in the plastic. This makes the tanks brittle. they then crack if there are stressed locations that are usually there from manufacturing such as uneven cooling or molding. Fogging from surface removal indicates that the plastic itself is breaking down, more than just the plasticiser. Even with glass tanks seals and insulators should be observed. As for health effects, they may or may not be significant. We don't know what the chemicals are. Concern is up to you, you should just be aware. As for avoiding solvent chemicals, an orange has natural solvent attributes that are used in industrial cleaners. You consume more nasty chemicals from eating processed food then you will get from vaping from plastic. Fungicides in the cardboard touching your frozen pizza need not be declared. If you want scary, look up some food additives listed on your favorite foods. US sites will say that MSDS not required as FDA lists it as a food additive. Foreign sites do have the MSDS sheets or industry safety sheets. Israel is a great source, their sites helped me narrow to the exact additive involved when food products have made me ill. You will find many FDA safe food additives that if spilled cannot be washed down the drain but require HAZMAT cleanup. Some cannot be handled without extensive protective gear. Yum, I'll have seconds. It's not so much as overthinking as just being aware. Ignorance is Bliss. And yes, I do use my plastic tanks.

Last edited:

triquetra

Feb 22, 2012
Nevada
Well, just got my protank 2 & I love it. After looking at the list of juices that "may" crack the Manger tanks I see that I put 3/4 French vanilla & 1/4 coffee for my morning v ape. Now they aren't ejuice brands the vanilla came from Tenacious & coffee from Puff. The 2 drops I sometimes use of the dark chocolate is however is from e-juice monkeys. Also I put a Puff brand orange in another. My banana Nana (yum!) Is in a Kanger, as is my Tenacious Mt dew! And also can someone tell me what TPA means? And do I need to empty out the banana-nana, Mt dew, etc til I can afford more protank 2s, or just don't refill till the protanks get here? I'm on disability so no more $ till august.

triquetra

Feb 22, 2012
Nevada
can't remember if I read it on this thread or another. But to save ur tanks from possible damage, first test a drop on juice on a CD and let set.
CD's are almost 100% polycarbonate.

Thanks so much! I will do that. I'm going on a couple weeks now so I guess I would have noticed something, lol. Still need an answer to my post, tho.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
Well, just got my protank 2 & I love it. After looking at the list of juices that "may" crack the Manger tanks I see that I put 3/4 French vanilla & 1/4 coffee for my morning v ape. Now they aren't ejuice brands the vanilla came from Tenacious & coffee from Puff. The 2 drops I sometimes use of the dark chocolate is however is from e-juice monkeys. Also I put a Puff brand orange in another. My banana Nana (yum!) Is in a Kanger, as is my Tenacious Mt dew! And also can someone tell me what TPA means? And do I need to empty out the banana-nana, Mt dew, etc til I can afford more protank 2s, or just don't refill till the protanks get here? I'm on disability so no more $ till august.

I'm right with ya, low income so I can't afford to waste tanks because the juice attacked the tank.

TFA or TPA blueberry candy is on the list. DOn't know what the Kanger T3S tanks are made of but I put my DYI TFA Blueberry candy in it and after 2 days its ok, I used 20% flavor. I did test a drop on a old CD overnight and it was ok.

TPA(The Perfume Apprentice) or TFA(The Flavor Apprentice) is the same company, if i'm wrong someone please correct me.

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
I made a batch of DIY Sour Apple/Strawberry (ripe) (all three TFA/TPA brand) at 10% each on the fruits and 1% on the sour. After 15 ml the tank in my Kayfun lite plus V2 cracked and etched. Am I correct to assume it's the Malic Acid in the sour that's doing it? Sour is my ADV, so my metal sleeve is on until slowtech delivers my glass sections!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread