Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
My account just got hit they were buying WALMART.COM gift cards and sending them to California. Thanks madvapes!

That's bad but not to hard to back it out with the CC company. The bigger danger is identity theft and the more places that have a lot of identifying info., the more danger there is. Repeating myself, I have a great discomfort handing over my exact date of birth to any and every vendor and the potential danger of doing that is crystal clear from this hacking incident.

I also remain very curious what "public" records would make the need for my exact date of birth available to these age verification companies to check against. Birth records are not public records in any state I know of.

I'm going to write my congressmen (& women) and ask that they look into this. I really want to know how these age verification companies can get away with what they are doing. If they are getting it from the credit bureaus (likely), that goes far beyond my expectation of whatever Swiss cheese privacy policies these for-profits have with data about me they have collected and sell. Even the most moronic criminal would seem to be able to harvest identities with all the crap floating around on the Internet and then adding in hackers, any privacy is over with.

GrimReaper

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2010
Indianapolis
I doubt anyone remebers me its been awhile but ill write in my experience. June 11th i purchases 30 mls of juice, and by june 17th my bank card was cancelled because someone tried to charge about 1500.00 in a matter of minutes. Got a new card yadda yadda its chase so its anoying but it got resolved rather fast. I'd recommend people going and getting a simon giftcard from the mall or any ol cheap throw away visa for the time being. Madvapes are the only store i EVER buy from because i only vape ultramint and i am in no way trying to bash them or hoogie but this is getting rather fustrating.

It seems to be going around. I also have a card i've had in my wallet and only used locally for some fast food here and there and its had its numbers stolen. Not all sites require the numbers on the back. You would be suprised how many websites could be hacked and purchases made with number generators alone. Just keep an eye out on your accounts. Almost everywhere now days has 0% fraud liability but still it does get old abit fast. Also....Make sure you download something like Malewarebytes incase someone has keylogged or trojaned your comp

Last edited:

djezewski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Wayland, New York, United States
I doubt anyone remebers me its been awhile but ill write in my experience. June 11th i purchases 30 mls of juice, and by june 17th my bank card was cancelled because someone tried to charge about 1500.00 in a matter of minutes. Got a new card yadda yadda its chase so its anoying but it got resolved rather fast. I'd recommend people going and getting a simon giftcard from the mall or any ol cheap throw away visa for the time being. Madvapes are the only store i EVER buy from because i only vape ultramint and i am in no way trying to bash them or hoogie but this is getting rather fustrating.

It seems to be going around. I also have a card i've had in my wallet and only used locally for some fast food here and there and its had its numbers stolen. Not all sites require the numbers on the back. You would be suprised how many websites could be hacked and purchases made with number generators alone. Just keep an eye out on your accounts. Almost everywhere now days has 0% fraud liability but still it does get old abit fast. Also....Make sure you download something like Malewarebytes incase someone has keylogged or trojaned your comp

I had my numbers hacked at least once a year, It has happened to both my MC and Paypal cards. It is very frustrating. Bank of America is good on catching it. Paypal isn't so I have to keep a low balance on that debit card.

GrimReaper

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2010
Indianapolis
I had my numbers hacked at least once a year, It has happened to both my MC and Paypal cards. It is very frustrating. Bank of America is good on catching it. Paypal isn't so I have to keep a low balance on that debit card.

chase is really good about it too PNC is total .... when it comes to catching anything. Also PAYPAL has an arrangment on most creditcard companies to make sure its always allowed if theres enough in the account. They will NEVER detect fraud from a paypal transaction reguardless if its from your own paypal account or your card was charged into someone else's paypal

Pete A.

Oct 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I had a fraud alert on my Chase ATM card about a month ago. No biggie. It happens. Yesterday, I used a Discover card that I very rarely use to book a flight for my father to attend his brother's funeral. Today I got a fraud alert from Discover. I thought "oh ...., I must have a key logger on my system!". Every scan imaginable=My system is clean. If there was anything on it there is way more money in other places they would have access to.

I noticed that the only place I have ever used both cards is Madvapes and did a quick google and wound up here.

5vz

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
in here somewhere USA
Just got an order without the many email confirmations. Actually it came last night, but I was asleep.

Perhaps not having the confirmations is helpful on most computers??? Don't open them if you receive them. Just let them sit there.

I love MV.

GrimReaper, I remember you. You started long after I did, and also loved CandyCane for a bit. I still love it, but it can only age a few months, not a few years. :eek: Yep, I did that. ;)

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
My account just got hit they were buying WALMART.COM gift cards and sending them to California. Thanks Madvapes!

Same here, on 8/28, after a Madvapes order processing on 8/27. We got hit last month too - huge PITA on that one ($1,000) because it was the bank debit card. Again, right after a Madvapes purchase. Got it all straightened out after about 2 weeks. This last one was a credit card. Still a pain, but faster. I'm sick to death of the hassle. I didn't get much of a response when I called.

CrazyCatz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Near My Coffee
My card was hit in June and I was like okay the credit card company caught it, stuff happens I am sure they will fix it. Received my new card and put nothing on it the next month except Madvapes. Guess what? Just like in June two days later they used my card number and had a good time. Between the June issue and July issue they racked up charges over 1000.00 in a matter of hours. I sent all order info to the credit card company and the processing center info as well. I sent a ticket into Madvapes about the issue and they closed it, Resolved...... Obviously it is NOT! So I have moved on to another company and they have lost a long time customer.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
I purchased juice on August 2nd and had fraudulent charges to WALMART.COM on August 28th for a round figure, cleverly leaving a 'safe' balance on the account. Apparently my bank put a hold on the card and mailed a notice dated the 29th. This was just brought to my attention today and it is getting sorted. I seemed to recall troubles having occured here at Madvapes in the past and came to look here.

My sympathies to Paul:
My account just got hit they were buying WALMART.COM gift cards and sending them to California. Thanks Madvapes!

I hope these issues with MV get taken care of soon.

KillaKat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2013
MA
I purchased juice on August 2nd and had fraudulent charges to WALMART.COM on August 28th for a round figure, cleverly leaving a 'safe' balance on the account. Apparently my bank put a hold on the card and mailed a notice dated the 29th. This was just brought to my attention today and it is getting sorted. I seemed to recall troubles having occured here at Madvapes in the past and came to look here.

My sympathies to Paul:

I hope these issues with MV get taken care of soon.

Wow. Mine got hit as well. For 2 $100 email gift cards. I was going to buy from them again, but now I'm not so sure. I don't want this to happen again.

TheSnake

Feb 6, 2013
Canada
I wish I believed it. I think it sounds more like they are actively trying to cover their own ... both from a reputation and liability stand point. I am tired of it, I have already had my CC info stolen once in the last month. The E-cig industry is booming and these A-list companies are making money 24/7....if they want to play the game they need to come prepared and be spending more on security.

We'll it doesn't really matter how much you spend on security nothing is "hack proof". The biggest names in security get hacked a lot too this is a situation that can't be a guaranteed fix now matter how much money you spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

LARams

Oct 29, 2012
ventura
This is disappointing to see that someone from Madvapes has posted in here and offered nothing to the people who were robbed after shopping with them. They seem to have an attitude that this isn't their problem.

They are totally liable. They stored credit card information and then didn't protect it sufficiently. And I don't recall at any point during my shopping with Madvapes of being notified that they would be storing financial information like that.

They made a bad decision that cost many people money and could have ruined someone financially.

At the very least they should have offered those affected a free credit report and an apology.

For all I know they still store credit info and they might still be vulnerable. They don't take any responsibility so I can't think of a single reason why I would ever risk shopping there again.

Amber7657

Sep 5, 2013
West Tennessee
Whoa! I am currently dealing with the same thing. Someone used my debit card number to purchase two walmart.com email gift cards for a total of $366. Those charges were made on 9/23 and I caught it the next day, but I'm still working to get my money back. I made 2 purchases from madvapes. One at the end of August and the other was just prior to the theft. I wonder if the fraud was due to those mv purchases.

Artifex75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
Chillicothe Oh
This happened to me as well, but no email, no apology. This is actually the first confirmation that I've gotten that it was their site that was hacked. I had no idea how my card information had been stolen. When I talked to someone from MV they told me that there had been no security breech. Mystery solved, I guess.

I've spent a good bit of money at their site on liquid and parts. Good luck getting any more of my business, guys.

theclev13

Dec 24, 2012
charlotte nc
actually no one can store CC info... only CC companies can store them. All other companies use your CC to the CC company, the CC company then, sends the last 4 or your card back to the supplier. They run the card and BAM, you get your order. ALL CC companies are NOT hack-proof. you cannot blame madvapes for YOUR CC companys lack of security.

theclev13

Dec 24, 2012
charlotte nc
This is simple... MadVapes CONNOT be held responsible for YOUR CC being hacked... that's like going into the bank for a withdrawal and the bank being robbed in the middle of your transaction and blaming the bank for being robbed. Madvapes DOES NOT store CC info... NO one does. Only CC companies are allowed to store CC info legally. Anytime you purchase anything online you are putting yourself at risk of being hacked. this is something you have to talk to your CC company about. The reason no one is doing anything about it on MV end, is because theres nothing they can do. The only time MV had a security breach was back in june for like, three days. They got that fixed... Simply put, call your CC company and blame them for letting other ppl use your CC.

DivideMyDestiny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NC
This is simple... MadVapes CONNOT be held responsible for YOUR CC being hacked... that's like going into the bank for a withdrawal and the bank being robbed in the middle of your transaction and blaming the bank for being robbed. Madvapes DOES NOT store CC info... NO one does. Only CC companies are allowed to store CC info legally. Anytime you purchase anything online you are putting yourself at risk of being hacked. this is something you have to talk to your CC company about. The reason no one is doing anything about it on MV end, is because theres nothing they can do. The only time MV had a security breach was back in june for like, three days. They got that fixed... Simply put, call your CC company and blame them for letting other ppl use your CC.

100% false. There are a lot of companies that store encrypted data themselves. If that data is cracked, there are your credit card numbers. If your statement was correct, then blackhatters would only go after credit card companies and not business based websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread