Madvapes is admitting to being hacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
I agree with one key point on each of what seem to be two sides here - so I'll voice my opinions:p

1) The vendors need to do what's necessary to solve the issue. If you want to sell online, you need to make it safe to use a credit card. Whether it's lobbying PayPal or locating a better processor - figure it out!!
(MANY of the vendors seem to use the same cart - maybe go to that company and threaten to pull down. "Fix your system of lose twenty of us"

2) On the other hand - while I understand the frustration of the OP, you HAVE to prefer MadVape's cancelling orders, and taking responsibility, and notifying their customers. What else could they do? They could have been less responsible and NOT notified you - that's worse - so at least give them credit for "doing the right thing". Too often these days, businesses do NOT "do the right thing" when there's a risk it will cost them something... So I'd be angry this is happening - but not especially angry at madvapes - rather, it would tend to make me trust them MORE than some other place that had NOT done anything about fraud against their customers...

Hi Train2, and welcome to the forum!

Just to expound a little on your post, we HAD paypal at one time - they shut our community off. We HAD good mc/visa processors - they also shut our community off - all compliments of, yes, our little government helpers at the FDA who are there to 'protect' us and threatened the CC processors with confiscation of funds for payments for declared illegal e-cigs and anything related to ecigs. (check out some of the legal threads circa 2009/10). Vendors woke to find themselves unable to process orders and unable to receive payments for already shipped orders (and some never did) and they had to scramble big time - to find a processor willing to take the risk of bucking the Feds, to absorb a chunk of evaporated cash and keep going, or close their doors. For more than a few days, it was chaos. In fact, the MOD movement was born out of these events (and people like myself, bought every atomizer available - the only non-garage-manufacturable part at the time - in anticipation of famine). So here we are, three years later, facing the same issues with processors - or, rather, the lack of processors - an issue that will persist until the nanny-state FDA gets a clue and our legislators get a clue and knock off the witchhunting.

As for MadVapes, I've had the pleasure of seeing this vendor 'born', and, still in existence 3 years later and now branched out from the mod parts they started with - they're obviously doing something right. I give them massive props for notifying their customers immediately - it shows the level of professionalism that company is run under. We should support, not punish, vendors such as this. Stolen credit card numbers generally are 'sold' and take a few weeks to get into circulation - if the vendor has notified you immediately, as seems to be the case with MadVapes, then there's usually ample time to notify your bank and twart any thievery before that card number is 'sold'.

MadVapes being hacked is yet another call to action to get involved, to educate, to join grass-roots movements, to write our congresscritters and demand legalization of ecigs. My two cents. Happy Vaping!

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Great post TaketheRedPill. It made me think, also, that its probably not a good idea to tell banks or CC companies what kind of business was being shopped at or they may use it as a loop hole to deny the claim. If vendors notify ahead of time and the bank is called they would, naturally, ask why you think your card was compromised. I know that sounds paranoid but, really, who would have guessed that we would be in the predicament we're in now due to our government and Pay Pal playing ball with them?

serendipitee

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2013
Grapevine, TX, USA
Just a friendly reminder that I've not seen here.

If you have "accounts" with any of the vendors who were robbed of data, change your passwords immediately. If that user name and password is also used anywhere else (bad practice...) change those too.

Oh gawd, is this really necessary? Admittedly, I have used the same user name and password at numerous vaping supply sites.

How many user names and passwords is a person supposed to remember?!?!?!

I've ordered from at least 10 sites, do I really need different user names and passwords for every one?

If so, ordering online has officially become too complicated for me!!!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Oh gawd, is this really necessary? Admittedly, I have used the same user name and password at numerous vaping supply sites.

I've ordered from at least 10 sites, do I really need different user names and passwords for every one?

If you have any interest in keeping your finances your finances, and not someone else's, YES.

If they're all the same, and one place is hacked, they could easily have access to ALL your accounts.

Get a password manager. It will let you (and some even will create for you) have different user name/password anywhere your want, and you only need to remember one master password, for the manager software. I use KeeFox, an "open source", i.e. free, package, which is probably the best of the free ones. It remembers my log in / user name and password, for any site I tell it to. Easy to use, and easy to "buy" :)

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I am new to this forum and this whole industry. I have had credit cards for decades and in the last 20 years have had only two problems. Once I lost my credit card. And the second time was a magazine subscription I got from someone door-to-door. I agree with the previous poster about most of these ecig companies are mom and pop operations (although MadVapes seems to be larger). Everyone is trying to save a buck and is not spending the time or money to properly protect themselves and their customers from easily being hacked. I want to purchase my first setup and juices, but I don't want to expose myself to the fraud. Think I will call a few of the companies and see if they will take a check, I'll wait for the goods. It's the companies that need to up their security procedures. Just my opinion, though.

better make that a cashier's check unless none of your info is printed on the check.

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Round N Round the Mulberry Bush

I have a pocket - sized notebook that I keep all of my passwords in.
I have so many passwords because I have a different one for each store I shop at.
I use a Password Manager so i don't have to type them all in all the time. I change the Master Password frequently and cross my fingers, lol.
Lawd hep me if I EVER lose my notebook. I keep it locked up for good measure....

Crocky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
North Carolina
Just got off the phone with MV. Ended up re-placing my order from over the weekend. Dude said that in the future, I can just put whatever items I want in my online shopping cart, give them a call, have them pull it up, and pay for it over the phone. Sounds about as secure as swiping my card at a B&M store to me.
Not unless you are using a land line

CaliGrower

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
norcal
didnt know or hear about this until just this minute. placed a small order with them earlier today. anyone know if their processing is secure now? i didnt receive an email on my order, and when i tried to log in, it said it didnt recognize my password so i sent a password request link and didnt get any answer to that one either..... do i need to call and cancel my credit card?

CaliGrower

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
norcal
i went to their site and submitted a ticket. i have not gotten a response yet.

i was just concerned as i placed my order with them and then ran across this thread. this is my first time ordering with them. usually when i place an order with a vendor, i get a conf. email right away, and in most cases, my card is debited right away, even during closed hours and weekends, then another email when the order is shipped ( which i know wouldnt happen until early next week anyway) i havent gotten anything from them , and my card hasnt been charged yet. after reading this thread, it sounds like this is what was happening when they had the breach and orders had to be re-placed with them. i just wanted to make sure they werent still compromised

LARams

Oct 29, 2012
ventura
Unfortunately I might be a victim of this. I got a letter from my bank yesterday that my credit card account had been frozen because of suspicious activity. When I called them up they told me several large charges had been rejected. They were all attempted purchases at surf shops ranging from Australia to the USA. There were 3-4 attempted purchases of several hundred dollars each.

I rarely use this particular card. If I make an online purchase I use PayPal but since you can't use PayPal at MV I used my credit card. That is the only place I have used this card at in over a year. I had made 3 purchases of juice over the last 6 months from MV. All with the same card.

It's an eye opener to be more diligent in protecting my financial information.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
And now with that new age verification law, I'm supposed to provide not only my name and address, but also my exact date of birth, and of course credit card info that all flows through their servers. Uh, I have a huge issue with that. I try to never give anyone my exact date of birth. I think they need to rethink their system.

I'd also love to know how some third party comes up with that through public records. Where are the "public" records that include exact birth date? I know some have age, but if some records aggregator is selling access to my exact date of birth as a "public" record, I'd be interested to know who that is.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
And now with that new age verification law, I'm supposed to provide not only my name and address, but also my exact date of birth, and of course credit card info that all flows through their servers. Uh, I have a huge issue with that. I try to never give anyone my exact date of birth. I think they need to rethink their system.

I'd also love to know how some third party comes up with that through public records. Where are the "public" records that include exact birth date? I know some have age, but if some records aggregator is selling access to my exact date of birth as a "public" record, I'd be interested to know who that is.

Unfortunately age verification is a new law that passed in NC and we are require to verify each customer is of legal age to purchase e-cig products. We use Veratad ( ID Verification & Age Verification Solutions from Veratad Using the IDresponse Privacy Platform ) for age verification and they do not tell us the source of their data, just a result of pass or fail based on the info you put in. You can always give us a call to place your order, we can verify you over the phone and it only has to be done once.

hoog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread