The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Madvapes is admitting to being hacked.

Discussion in 'MadVapes' started by BigBaby, Jun 17, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. patkin

patkin Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Arizona USA
    Has anyone asked Madvapes what processing center was breached? I've got a list of what PCs the vendors I frequent use and would like to know.

2. TaketheRedPill

TaketheRedPill Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 27, 2009
    Southern California

Hi Train2, and welcome to the forum!

Just to expound a little on your post, we HAD paypal at one time - they shut our community off. We HAD good mc/visa processors - they also shut our community off - all compliments of, yes, our little government helpers at the FDA who are there to 'protect' us and threatened the CC processors with confiscation of funds for payments for declared illegal e-cigs and anything related to ecigs. (check out some of the legal threads circa 2009/10). Vendors woke to find themselves unable to process orders and unable to receive payments for already shipped orders (and some never did) and they had to scramble big time - to find a processor willing to take the risk of bucking the Feds, to absorb a chunk of evaporated cash and keep going, or close their doors. For more than a few days, it was chaos. In fact, the MOD movement was born out of these events (and people like myself, bought every atomizer available - the only non-garage-manufacturable part at the time - in anticipation of famine). So here we are, three years later, facing the same issues with processors - or, rather, the lack of processors - an issue that will persist until the nanny-state FDA gets a clue and our legislators get a clue and knock off the witchhunting.

As for MadVapes, I've had the pleasure of seeing this vendor 'born', and, still in existence 3 years later and now branched out from the mod parts they started with - they're obviously doing something right. I give them massive props for notifying their customers immediately - it shows the level of professionalism that company is run under. We should support, not punish, vendors such as this. Stolen credit card numbers generally are 'sold' and take a few weeks to get into circulation - if the vendor has notified you immediately, as seems to be the case with MadVapes, then there's usually ample time to notify your bank and twart any thievery before that card number is 'sold'.

MadVapes being hacked is yet another call to action to get involved, to educate, to join grass-roots movements, to write our congresscritters and demand legalization of ecigs. My two cents. Happy Vaping!

3. patkin

Nov 6, 2012
    Arizona USA
    Great post TaketheRedPill. It made me think, also, that its probably not a good idea to tell banks or CC companies what kind of business was being shopped at or they may use it as a loop hole to deny the claim. If vendors notify ahead of time and the bank is called they would, naturally, ask why you think your card was compromised. I know that sounds paranoid but, really, who would have guessed that we would be in the predicament we're in now due to our government and Pay Pal playing ball with them?

4. serendipitee

serendipitee Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Grapevine, TX, USA
    Oh gawd, is this really necessary? Admittedly, I have used the same user name and password at numerous vaping supply sites.

How many user names and passwords is a person supposed to remember?!?!?!

I've ordered from at least 10 sites, do I really need different user names and passwords for every one?

If so, ordering online has officially become too complicated for me!!!

5. DavidOck

DavidOck ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    If you have any interest in keeping your finances your finances, and not someone else's, YES.

If they're all the same, and one place is hacked, they could easily have access to ALL your accounts.

Get a password manager. It will let you (and some even will create for you) have different user name/password anywhere your want, and you only need to remember one master password, for the manager software. I use KeeFox, an "open source", i.e. free, package, which is probably the best of the free ones. It remembers my log in / user name and password, for any site I tell it to. Easy to use, and easy to "buy" :)

6. Marb

Marb Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 30, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Not yet. Did you?

I'll wait til the mail comes tomorrow and if it doesn't arrive, I'll send one in.

7. patkin

Nov 6, 2012
    Arizona USA
    better make that a cashier's check unless none of your info is printed on the check.

8. tA71ana

tA71ana Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have a pocket - sized notebook that I keep all of my passwords in.
    I have so many passwords because I have a different one for each store I shop at.
    I use a Password Manager so i don't have to type them all in all the time. I change the Master Password frequently and cross my fingers, lol.
    Lawd hep me if I EVER lose my notebook. I keep it locked up for good measure....

9. Jimi D.

Jimi D. ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 26, 2010
    Florida Keys
    MV contacted me today. They sent out a replacement pkg. I would send in that ticket :)

10. Marb

Marb Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 30, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I sent in a ticket and they're resending mine as well.
    Thanks for the heads-up ;-)

11. Jimi D.

Jimi D. ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 26, 2010
    Florida Keys
    You're welcome Marb ;)

12. Crocky

Crocky Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    North Carolina
    Not unless you are using a land line

13. CaliGrower

CaliGrower Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 13, 2013
    norcal
    didnt know or hear about this until just this minute. placed a small order with them earlier today. anyone know if their processing is secure now? i didnt receive an email on my order, and when i tried to log in, it said it didnt recognize my password so i sent a password request link and didnt get any answer to that one either..... do i need to call and cancel my credit card?

14. CaliGrower

Jun 13, 2013
    norcal
    checked my bank and my card wasnt charged either. most vendors charge it right away

15. DavidOck

DavidOck ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    IIRC, it was a one time / one weekend breach.

Have you tried an email to them?

16. CaliGrower

Jun 13, 2013
    norcal
    i went to their site and submitted a ticket. i have not gotten a response yet.

i was just concerned as i placed my order with them and then ran across this thread. this is my first time ordering with them. usually when i place an order with a vendor, i get a conf. email right away, and in most cases, my card is debited right away, even during closed hours and weekends, then another email when the order is shipped ( which i know wouldnt happen until early next week anyway) i havent gotten anything from them , and my card hasnt been charged yet. after reading this thread, it sounds like this is what was happening when they had the breach and orders had to be re-placed with them. i just wanted to make sure they werent still compromised

17. Notanitguy

Notanitguy Moved On

Feb 6, 2013
    Mooresville, NC
    No, we are definitely not compromised. If you want you can PM me your name and I can check to see if your order went through or not.

18. LARams

LARams Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    ventura
    Unfortunately I might be a victim of this. I got a letter from my bank yesterday that my credit card account had been frozen because of suspicious activity. When I called them up they told me several large charges had been rejected. They were all attempted purchases at surf shops ranging from Australia to the USA. There were 3-4 attempted purchases of several hundred dollars each.

I rarely use this particular card. If I make an online purchase I use PayPal but since you can't use PayPal at MV I used my credit card. That is the only place I have used this card at in over a year. I had made 3 purchases of juice over the last 6 months from MV. All with the same card.

It's an eye opener to be more diligent in protecting my financial information.

19. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2013
    Smokestack, PA, USA
    And now with that new age verification law, I'm supposed to provide not only my name and address, but also my exact date of birth, and of course credit card info that all flows through their servers. Uh, I have a huge issue with that. I try to never give anyone my exact date of birth. I think they need to rethink their system.

I'd also love to know how some third party comes up with that through public records. Where are the "public" records that include exact birth date? I know some have age, but if some records aggregator is selling access to my exact date of birth as a "public" record, I'd be interested to know who that is.

20. hoogie76

hoogie76 Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Aug 1, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Unfortunately age verification is a new law that passed in NC and we are require to verify each customer is of legal age to purchase e-cig products. We use Veratad ( ID Verification & Age Verification Solutions from Veratad Using the IDresponse Privacy Platform ) for age verification and they do not tell us the source of their data, just a result of pass or fail based on the info you put in. You can always give us a call to place your order, we can verify you over the phone and it only has to be done once.

hoog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.