Status
Not open for further replies.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Thanks vaporer. I was looking to see about making the drops with no alcohol. I completely realize the alcohol is absolutely minimal but I don't do alcohol at all. As I said, I have no problem using straight PG (would just have to get some) or if it would work in a 50/50 PG/VG mix. Thanks again for clarifying.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
NebulaBrot,
Ok.I understand completely abt the alcohol.
Alcohol dissolves the greatest amount, but some prefer none. (I am a former alcoholic so I do understand). None is better. Seems that it vaporizes without the effects , but still...Its a worry point.
PG does run a close 2nd. VG seems way down the line.
I'd try the PG if alcohol is a problem for whatever reason.

If you have specific questions ...PM me.
Honesty is important, but you dont have to bare your soul to strangers.
The main focus is to help others.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
:lol: I appreciate your sensitivity but no soul baring here, just my lifestyle choices. Was never much of a drinker but just decided to eliminate alcohol altogether, cigarettes too and now gone veggie to boot.

Not the crunchy granola type, just trying something different to see how my system responds. Cholesterol dropped 40 points in a month after going veggie and wasn't that much of a meat eater to begin with. Sort of always been of the school: everything in moderation - including moderation. :)

Well, that last part sort of went out the window this year but the cleaner approach seems to be agreeing with me. Just took my next blood test to recheck the cholesterol another 6 weeks into the cleaner living and looking forward to seeing the results. That is interesting too as I work out regularly, not at all overweight and no cholesterol issues in my family going back 2 generations before me (was just a bit out of "range" prior to the diet change).

Thanks again, will get some straight PG if I can find locally (rural) or add to whatever my next juice order will be. I may just try a 1/4 tsp in 5 ml of the PG/VG 50/50 mix that I already have - just to see what happens. :toast:

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Well, it seems to have dissolved with no probs - so far. Will have to wait and see if it separates. Ran it under my insta-hot water (about 190 degrees) for about 30 seconds and gave it a good shake. Looked a bit cloudy so I threw it into the nuke for 4 seconds and another good shake. Will let it set for a while (as I can see teeny-tiny air bubbles suspended) and see if any separation occurs. So far, looks like it worked.

Most of the tiny air bubbles have gone in the time it took to type this post. Visually, I'd be hard-pressed to distinguish this bottle from the PG/VG mix sans crystals (the bottles are a little different but the liquid looks very clear).

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
It should look clear. I use 1/2tsp, crushed and pack in the measuring spoon. It dissolves well in PG with a bit of heat and no crystal reformation.
I was surprized when a layer reformed in the same amount of VG.
Water.....it doesnt do well at all. Very little dissolves.
You should be fine even after it cools.
It may dissolve more, I just never needed more than that.

BiffRocko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
PGA seems to be difficult to obtain in California, so I tried the 1/2 tsp to 10ml of PG recipe. I ran it under hot water and all the crystals dissolved and left me with a nice clear liquid.

It was pretty weak smelling, so I took a chance and dripped 1 drop in my atty. The taste was very weak too. I read earlier in the thread that it strengthens as it sits. Am I just being impatient or is this recipe for a weaker flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread