Not open for further replies.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
After receiving the items last Fri and working on it every now and then when i'm free after work, finally completed the dna box mod..Sure is challenging to mount all into such a tight space & also working on that box using my dremel(Handheld with that extension)..Running on a single 18650 Sony VTC 4..The angel eye ring on the firing button lights up(Got that figure out after some experiment)

Much thanks to Mike for helping me to get the various items and providing valuable advice when i have some question. And also to mamu for the button,screen placement which i printed out to drill the holes with.

Next up, to setup that Taifun GT clone which i got a few weeks back in anticipation for this box mod..

Really nice looking!

Bmays

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks.

Not gonna attempt something this small and compact again with a 18650. Have another hammond enclosure lying around, will probably go that with a lipo pack if i ever lay my hands on a DNA 30..

Would love to know how you got the "angle eye" led to light when the mod fires. I thought I knew a thing or two and could only get it to work "off line" or out of the actual DNA circuit. (Battery only power, not activated via the power to the 510 connection).

Turns out, my button was too long anyway, but I'd sure like to know how you wired it.

Very nice looking mod you built there.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Nouseforanick

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
Beside you
Would love to know how you got the "angle eye" led to light when the mod fires. I thought I knew a thing or two and could only get it to work "off line" or out of the actual DNA circuit. (Battery only power, not activated via the power to the 510 connection).

Turns out, my button was too long anyway, but I'd sure like to know how you wired it.

It's activated thru that power to 510 connection sadly. Cant seems to find another way around it.

Bmays

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It's activated thru that power to 510 connection sadly. Cant seems to find another way around it.

I'm sure there's a way but I couldn't figure it out either. Thanks for the reply.

The only issue I've had with my DNA30 build is I keep getting "locked click 5x" on the display. I've swapped buttons and still seem to get this. It seems that I need to press firmly otherwise I must be on the edge of button activation.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States

To do it without robbing power from your 510 you would need a 2-pole switch. One pole to activate the DNA, and the other pole hooked up to the LED tapping straight off of your battery.

moresalt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tucson,Az
I think I have the same switch. There are 4 connections on the back, but unfortunately I didn't get a pin diagram with the switch and it wasn't listed on the site that I ordered from. I'm thinking Mike is correct, just gotta figure out which wires go where. Ohm meter, here I come.

Oh a sad note, I didn't plan to well for this and have not gotten my chi 510 connector from slow tech and I haven't found silicone wire in 20 or 24 gauge that's moderately reasonable. And to top it off in Mike's last coop I only ordered 1 500 ma charger (now this belongs in the Tibs) so I just ordered the 1A chargers from eBay. :facepalm:

Last edited:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I think I have the same switch. There are 4 connections on the back, but unfortunately I didn't get a pin diagram with the switch and it wasn't listed on the site that I ordered from. I'm thinking Mike is correct, just gotta figure out which wires go where. Ohm meter, here I come.

Oh a sad note, I didn't plan to well for this and have not gotten my chi 510 connector from slow tech and I haven't found silicone wire in 20 or 24 gauge that's moderately reasonable. And to top it off in Mike's last coop I only ordered 1 500 ma charger (now this belongs in the Tibs) so I just ordered the 1A chargers from eBay. :facepalm:

Careful, a lot of switches have 4 contacts, but electrically they are only single pole. You want two distinctly separate circuits inside of the switch.

moresalt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tucson,Az
Ok, with the help of a 10x loupe and my multimeter this should be easy. There 4 terminals on the switch. With the switch turned upside down, the top terminal, 1, (N) has a + underneath it, and the bottom terminal, 4, (S) has a - near it. Terminals 2(W) & 3(E) are the switch, i.e., 0 ohms when the switch is depressed, open when not. And terminals 2 & 3 are open to both terminals 1 & 4 regardless of the switch. So, I'll wire the battery to terminals 1 & 4 and the switch to terminals 2 & 3.

Edit: Hmmm, that didn't work at all so I removed the diagram.

Last edited:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Did you observe the proper polarity? 2 Terminals are for the LED, and 2 for the switch, its a single pole switch. You will have to hook it into the 510 power out to get it to work only when the button is pressed.

Observe the proper polarity or the LED wont light (its a diode), and you probably need to hook a resistor in series with the LED. You will need to calculate what size of current limiting resistor you need in series with the LED. You need the LED specs for that, and there are lots of online calculators for determining the right resistance.

Nouseforanick

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
Beside you
This is how i connect my switch..
RsHk7X0.jpg

The description from the ebay shop i got it from

"LED voltage: 12Vdc (Connected in series with 510 ohm resistor,package included);without resistor the input power is 2Vdc"

Last edited:

moresalt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tucson,Az

Thanks, BJ

Did you observe the proper polarity? 2 Terminals are for the LED, and 2 for the switch, its a single pole switch. You will have to hook it into the 510 power out to get it to work only when the button is pressed.

Observe the proper polarity or the LED wont light (its a diode), and you probably need to hook a resistor in series with the LED. You will need to calculate what size of current limiting resistor you need in series with the LED. You need the LED specs for that, and there are lots of online calculators for determining the right resistance.

I saw that discussion somewhere, maybe it was this thread. I'll have to go search for it.

Edit software was so much easier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread