Natural Tobaccos - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Alrighty, so today I went and got some Natural American Spirit (100% additive free, U.S. grown, Perique tobacco Blend)

However, they didn't have any in the roll your own pouches or tins, all they had was in cigarette form.

Am I able to empty the tobacco out of the cigarettes and stick it in pg to begin the cold process extraction?

I went ahead and bought a pack in case the answer was yes.. but I will wait to hear from knowledgeable people before I do, just to make sure. But I went to the only two tobacco places we have in town, and this is the only thing our town has by way of perique blend.. (I thought to begin with this, due to its relative popularity)
I've done 2 (or 3, I forget) using the tobacco from the cigarettes that turned out great. (Using the PGA heat method.)

Reactions: Opinionated

Betamaxx

Apr 7, 2017
Other than buying the juice from Want2vape, you could try yellow H mane (I think it's called) from Naturally-Extracted-tobacco.com. It tastes very similar because it is extracted from the same brand of cigar.
I ended up buying Gypsy Blonde before I read this post. It will be coming in tomorrow.
Vape mail has us spoiled rotten doesn't it? These mom and pops are so on top of everything all the time..
Yeah I'm super spoiled when it comes to waiting time. I'm so impatient!

So it turns out that Quicknic really is quick! They shipped my order within the first 24 hours while NET took about 72 hours to ship. I only first started vaping on my tobacco e-liquid from Quicknic. It's hard to single out the flavor of the gold tobacco since it's really mild and subtle and the e-liquid I had in the vape before was a really strong smokey custard. I am using the same coil and didn't wash out my tank so I'm mostly tasting smokey custard but the Analog Gold e-liquid I put in there tastes really good!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I ended up buying Gypsy Blonde before I read this post. It will be coming in tomorrow.

Yeah I'm super spoiled when it comes to waiting time. I'm so impatient!

So it turns out that Quicknic really is quick! They shipped my order within the first 24 hours while NET took about 72 hours to ship. I only first started vaping on my tobacco e-liquid from Quicknic. It's hard to single out the flavor of the gold tobacco since it's really mild and subtle and the e-liquid I had in the vape before was a really strong smokey custard. I am using the same coil and didn't wash out my tank so I'm mostly tasting smokey custard but the Analog Gold e-liquid I put in there tastes really good!

Lol.. I'm horrible about being too lazy to either change my coil or change my wicking in between flavors too. Oddly, it usually works out beautifully! :)

Maybe I'm especially patient, but 72 hours doesn't bother me in the least - I'd rather have my order done correctly than fast. A week or more bothers me, but not a couple days.

The place you ordered from probably doesn't mix to order, if they do they are fast at it for real..

Reactions: 67Tele

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Lol.. I'm horrible about being too lazy to either change my coil or change my wicking in between flavors too. Oddly, it usually works out beautifully! :)

Back when I was still using the Nautilus with BVC coils I'd switch flavor without changing the coil. It usually worked out well with the new flavor taking over quickly but once I followed chocolate/orange with a green tea blend. That was not...pleasant!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Back when I was still using the Nautilus with BVC coils I'd switch flavor without changing the coil. It usually worked out well with the new flavor taking over quickly but once I followed chocolate/orange with a green tea blend. That was not...pleasant!

Lol.. that sounds horrible...

But that's the thing isn't it? Complimentary flavors. I think most of what I vape is complimentary to one another. I can follow cinnamon roll with Apple pie with no repercussion, or the pie and cinnamon roll mix with the cheesecake (which is more like a custard) or follow with the hazelnut as all it does is add a nuttiness to the mix.. if I follow that with banana nut bread and I've just added another nutty, spicy fruit..

I almost don't vape anything that isn't a complimentary flavor.. once my sister in law took a drag off my vape, and wanted to know what flavor that was because she liked it.. I just looked at her and said at this point I don't know as it's several mixed up.

Sad when someone says what flavor and all you can say is by now it's anyone's guess! Hahaha..

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Alrighty, so today I went and got some Natural American Spirit (100% additive free, U.S. grown, Perique Tobacco Blend)

However, they didn't have any in the roll your own pouches or tins, all they had was in cigarette form.

Am I able to empty the tobacco out of the cigarettes and stick it in pg to begin the cold process extraction?

I went ahead and bought a pack in case the answer was yes.. but I will wait to hear from knowledgeable people before I do, just to make sure. But I went to the only two tobacco places we have in town, and this is the only thing our town has by way of perique blend.. (I thought to begin with this, due to its relative popularity)

First - Get a large sized baby food jar or the like. Large enough to hold 100 mls. Add 80 mls. of PG and then add your tobacco. Now the amount of tobacco is key to the strength of your concentrate. I add as close to an ounce as I can get or split open a whole pack of cigarettes. I heat the PG to 150F before adding the tobacco but it's not absolutely required. Cap the jar and let it steep at least a month, cigars 6 weeks. Shake the jar at least once a week. Once it's steeped I decant the contents into a coffee press. The resulting liquid is your concentrate. I use most at 25% flavoring to my base liquid.

It really is that simple. I have done over 120 different tobaccos and cigars. I gave up on cigars as I found only Maduros and Oscuros turn out a decent concentrate. I have 5 tobaccos that I use as ADV's. There are some really great tobacco's out there and you can add other flavorings as a bonus!

Over the years I went through a lot of experimentation, with different filtering techniques and hot - cold steeps. The simple method I described taste the same as any complicated methods I used.

American Spirit Tobacco's are the bee's knee's as is Ashton Artisan, C&D's Pennington Gap. Coyote Classic, Old Joe Kranz and as an exception Tatiana flavored cigars all make for a great vape.

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
First, some folks pointed me to threads about extracting my own tobacco juices, but I haven't had time to go there yet.
So, this may be a dumb question.
But, with your method, in the resulting 80 mls of liquid, what nic % does it come out to be? I'm flummoxed.
Well, your Nic will be in your base liquid which you mix with percentages of P/G V/G & Nic. For example 50% PG. 50% VG and Nic. You would add your tobacco concentrate to that just as you would a flavoring concentrate.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
NIc doesn't extract with the tobacco flavor, at least not enough to even count. Just use the extract as a flavoring, don't count it as contributing any nic.
Well, that explains that. And that was both interesting and surprising. I fully expected the nic in the leaves to leach into the extract. thanks.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
It's funny how in hindsight everything makes sense. I invested time and money in making my first ever Extracts back in 2015 and apart from 3 or 4 Extracts the rest were awful. I was using the windowsill method which is leaving jars on the window to absorb the heat of the sun in the hope of speeding up extracting process.

In retrospect that now seems to have been a stupid thing to do. Leaving PG and VG in direct sunlight now seems to me like a way of destroying juice fast. I did some heat Extracts as well and they didn't turn out so good either but perhaps better than the windowsill method.

Ironically right at the beginning of my experimentation with extracting tobacco someone told me to stick it in a jar of PG and place it in the back of a cupboard for 4-6 weeks and shake occasionally. That seemed too simple to me. It didn't make sense that it could be so easy. Surely an exotic method would produce better results. I was wrong.

I was discouraged that I didn't bother trying again. I lost about 20 jars of extract and waited for weeks for them to be ready. Dare I say if I stuck to the tried and true way of a cold Mac in the back of a cupboard I may have experienced how good home made juices are.

In my opinion PG and VG should never been exposed to any heat whether it be heat extraction in hot water or in direct sunlight. It shortens the life of the end product and damages the juice from the outset. Alcohol extraction would be the way to go for any heat based extraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
It's funny how in hindsight everything makes sense. I invested time and money in making my first ever Extracts back in 2015 and apart from 3 or 4 Extracts the rest was awful. I was using the windowsill method which is leaving jars on the window to absorb the heat of the sun in the hope of speeding up extracting process.

In retrospect that now seems to have been a stupid thing to do. Leaving PG and VG in direct sunlight now seems to me like a way of destroying juice fast. I did some heat Extracts as well and they didn't turn out so good either but perhaps better than the windowsill method.

Ironically right at the beginning of my experimentation with extracting tobacco someone told me to stick it in a jar of PG and place it in the back of a cupboard for 4-6 weeks and shake occasionally. That seemed too simple to me. It didn't make sense that it could be so easy. Surely an exotic method would produce better results. I was wrong.

I was discouraged that I didn't bother trying again. I lost about 20 jars of extract and waited for a weeks for them to be ready. Dare I say if I stuck to the tried and true way of a cold Mac in the back of a cupboard I may have experienced how good home made juices are.

In my opinion PG and VG should never been exposed to any heat whether it be heat extraction in hot water or in direct sunlight. It shortens the life of the end product and damaged the juice from the outset. Alcohol extraction would be the way to go for any heat based extraction.

AnthonyB, you and MFToms59 are oh so correct! I've tried many of the extraction methods described in this thread, along with the various filtering methods over the years and have come to one conclusion: KISS

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
In my opinion PG and VG should never been exposed to any heat whether it be heat extraction in hot water or in direct sunlight. It shortens the life of the end product and damaged the juice from the outset. Alcohol extraction would be the way to go for any heat based extraction.

I have had good results from using the rice cooker method. For me it seems to give a little head start on time and I haven't noticed any degradation. I keep the water hovering around 100 deg. All in all though, it's time and more time.

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
... I was using the windowsill method which is leaving jars on the window to absorb the heat of the sun in the hope of speeding up extracting process.

In retrospect that now seems to have been a stupid thing to do. Leaving PG and VG in direct sunlight now seems to me like a way of destroying juice fast. I did some heat Extracts as well and they didn't turn out so good either but perhaps better than the windowsill method...

Windowsill method only works well using pure Grain Alcohol or Triple Distilled Vodka, which I prefer, it's easier to strain prior to a low heat reduction to ~30% of the original volume of strained Tobacco. The heat reduction usually takes 3-4 hours, and the final result is added to a 20/80 PG/VG mix, @1/2 the volume of the Tobacco juice for my final mixing extract.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
I have had good results from using the rice cooker method. For me it seems to give a little head start on time and I haven't noticed any degradation. I keep the water hovering around 100 deg. All in all though, it's time and more time.

I think I invented the rice cooker method! Lol I wrote about how I used a rice cooker because it was my only option at the time considering my living arrangements and it took off. Some of my rice cooker Extracts turned out okay but I did so many other things wrong. I used the wrong tobaccos or old tobaccos, I used PG and VG which were of dubious quality and a whole host of other things I did wrong which I've probably forgotten about lol

jonnydoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
I have wasted a lot of tobacco at the beginning. Wrong tobaccos and wrong methods. Now its very easy for me to make a good extract:

1. tobacco: You like sun cured turkish or not ? Try
Peter Stokkebye turkish 84 pipe tobacco
2. make a mixture, for example: 50ml VG, 50ml PG and 50ml 96%Vol ethanol and poor it over the 30-50 gramm tobacco and close the jar
3. put it in a waterbath at 45°Celsius for 3-4 days.
4. put the tobacco away and filter the extract
5. put the extract in the oven at 50°Celsius to evaporate
the ethanol for 4-5 hours
6. ready to mix it with base and to vape immediately

In my opinion the most important thing is ethanol with vg and pg and not too hot.

Cold extractions with the same ingredients are even good but it will take time for steeping. I have done only one cold extraction with 45%VG, 45PG% and only 5% ethanol. I have tasted it after 11 months and it was even good.

Last edited:

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
... Some of my rice cooker Extracts turned out okay but I did so many other things wrong. I used the wrong tobaccos or old tobaccos, I used PG and VG which were of dubious quality and a whole host of other things I did wrong which I've probably forgotten about lol

I think the mistakes we've all made extracting helped us refine our own method, I for one started by using Distilled water as my medium and it worked fine until one of my extracts grew mold. That led to the use of Triple Distilled Potato Vodka and adding the PG/VG mix to the final flavor extract as a preservative.

My cigars are kept in a ziplock bag that holds a couple Humidor packs, those and the pipe tobaccos are stored in my refrigerator, back of the bottom shelf, hinged side of the door opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread