Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
May be preserve the samples compromised by the storm and keep them in the refrigerator instead of the freezer. Or put them back at freezing temperatures and just reccord that they spent some time at room temperature. I expect that over the years I'll be tending my stash there will be power outages or other reasons why my nic is not at freezing temperatures at all times.
Switching from freezer to fridge long-term isn't really an option; it would cause too much marital discord.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
It will be interesting to see the outcome of the rebottling vs original container trial once you can return to your Florida stash! I expect the gradual warming in the powerless freezer is the least injurious way to do so and will have little effect.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It will be interesting to see the outcome of the rebottling vs original container trial once you can return to your Florida stash! I expect the gradual warming in the powerless freezer is the least injurious way to do so and will have little effect.
We plan to start the ~1050 mile trek down there once we hear the power is on again. Just got first report regarding the inside of the house -- no more than a gallon or two of water got it through the sliding door on the first floor, which is no big deal since the first floor finish is tile-on-slab.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
We plan to start the ~1050 mile trek down there once we hear the power is on again. Just got first report regarding the inside of the house -- no more than a gallon or two of water got it through the sliding door on the first floor, which is no big deal since the first floor finish is tile-on-slab.

Happy to hear there is some light in the otherwise dark cloud of Irma.

Thanks for the extended testing. Now I'm happy I used up some valuable freezer space for my liters of nicotine instead of putting them in the basement.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The testing is really eye opening.... I froze all my nic except for what I'm using currently. Thankfully, we have a chest freezer with some compartments. I stole one but there was no marital discord once I explained to the husband that I would be HAPPY to store it all at room temp.... And buy more once my rather large stash got "bad," the husband was surprisingly accommodating after that. :) We still buy our meats from Costco, just with a slightly higher frequency.

Anna

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I am very happy with my "Nic Freezer", especially after seeing the results here. Although I never doubted Kurt for a second. Taking this pic today was good too, I can see I need to do a little defrosting, I cant get the top drawer open and that has the oldest nic.

freezer.jpg

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I am very happy with my "Nic Freezer", especially after seeing the results here. Although I never doubted Kurt for a second. Taking this pic today was good too, I can see I need to do a little defrosting, I cant get the top drawer open and that has the oldest nic.

freezer.jpg
I think I see some space in that bottom drawer...:D

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I think I see some space in that bottom drawer...:D
The bottom drawer is full of gel packs for the most part. The gel packs (ie mass) help hold the temp down in the event of a power failure. Although it wouldnt help that much with what Rossum is facing, it does help a lot for the 72 hr or less variety.

And theres a 4th draw underneath the open one, also full of bottles.

Its called "Vapocalypse Proofing".

Last edited:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Room for cider in there too
Since I can, I have chosen to keep edibles separate from potential poisons. The concentration of the nic in this freezer is definitely in the "poison" category.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
Since I can, I have chosen to keep edibles separate from potential poisons. The concentration of the nic in this freezer is definitely in the "poison" category.

I have a question.... I know your nic is higher than mine. Do you have a note or information in the freezer in the event something happens, and someone other than you is opening it?
I do for mine and I was wondering if other people do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I have a question.... I know your nic is higher than mine. Do you have a note or information in the freezer in the event something happens, and someone other than you is opening it?
I'm confident he's got every bottle individually labelled in an appropriate manner.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Probably so, and I think I saw a fishtank in one picture, so I doubt he has dangerous amounts of nic floating around the lab?? Maybe a fish tank to those into chemistry is a bit like a canary in a coil mine?

I could be wrong, but it looked like a fish tank. If the fish are still alive, I'm going to bet the lab is fairly non-toxic. When my 5 year old was into fish, I can't even count the number of fish burials that occurred, so in my experience, fish aren't the easiest thing in the world to keep track of. Don't judge me-- the dang kid wanted tropical fish, and a salt water tank is NOT the easiest thing in the world... :)

Anna

Reactions: Letitia

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As Rossum said, he has seen them first hand, they are extremely well labeled, every bottle, with hazards (including skull and crossbones symbol) on every bottle.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Probably so, and I think I saw a fishtank in one picture, so I doubt he has dangerous amounts of nic floating around the lab?? Maybe a fish tank to those into chemistry is a bit like a canary in a coil mine?

I could be wrong, but it looked like a fish tank. If the fish are still alive, I'm going to bet the lab is fairly non-toxic. When my 5 year old was into fish, I can't even count the number of fish burials that occurred, so in my experience, fish aren't the easiest thing in the world to keep track of. Don't judge me-- the dang kid wanted tropical fish, and a salt water tank is NOT the easiest thing in the world... :)

Anna
Yes, I have a 150 gal African Cichlid tank, and 30 gal Shrimp tank. The shrimp tank is the real canary, damn things are super sensitive.

The canary analogy is very spot on. Nicotine, even in minute amounts is fatal to fish.

The nic freezer is actually in my "Utility Room" and all bottles are labeled to equal or surpass that of commercial chemical companies.

:offtopic:
Since you mentioned the tank, let me show off my system:

Capture_zpspwbkmf2a.jpg

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
Yes, I have a 150 gal African Cichlid tank, and 30 gal Shrimp tank. The shrimp tank is the real canary, damn things are super sensitive.

The canary analogy is very spot on. Nicotine, even in minute amounts is fatal to fish.

The nic freezer is actually in my "Utility Room" and all bottles are labeled to equal or surpass that of commercial chemical companies.

:offtopic:
Since you mentioned the tank, let me show off my system:

Capture_zpspwbkmf2a.jpg
I have shrimp tank!!!

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
, and a salt water tank is NOT the easiest thing in the world... :)
BTW, I wouldnt do a salt water tank EVER unless I had an automatic back up gas powered generator. One half day power outage and you lose many many $$$.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It wasn't the money for me, it was the fish funerals... My kiddo was very attached to his fish, and when they died, it was always "Oh.... here we go, dig a hole in what's basically stony dirt that's impossible to dig in, find the right box, sing songs, say prayers, handle the crying fits for the next day or so...."

I don't recall us ever having death due to power outages much, (typically here it's during a monsoon for a few hours or so, max) but when we moved on to dogs, I was So Happy-- they have a much longer lifespan, that's for sure....

Nothing better happen to the Kid's dog, though she was bit by something rather awful recently and I was MORE than happy to cover the vet bill. Kid's living alone in downtown Tucson and I like knowing he has a half-feral dog (he adopted her the day before kill day, she was a homeless person's dog, she's got PTSD) that will Handle any Major Problem he might run into. Plus, if you get to know her, she's a sweetheart. :) But ONLY then.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread