The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Hi Guest! 

Seasons Greetings. Just to let you know that a new giveaway has just started. 

This one's from our friends at Humble Vape Co. and I hope you'll take part for a chance to be one of the ten winners of their great prizes. 

ecfhumble

See our giveaway page for full details. This one's for US residents only. 

Good luck! 

Oliver

Dismiss Notice

Nic Base Storage: Freezer vs. Room Temp Experiment

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Rossum, Mar 5, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Rossum

Rossum Squonk Mod Junkie Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Although it's common knowledge that the optimal way to store nic base is in glass, with minimal head space, in the freezer, a repeated theme in some of the "stocking up" threads has been that some folks either don't have a freezer at all, or aren't willing to keep their nic base in whatever freezer they do have for various reasons. The question that then arises is: How much difference does it temperature really make? Although I have a dedicated freezer for my nic base, I decided it would be interesting to find out. So...

Yesterday, I dug a couple of bottles of nic base out of my freezer. I bought this nic back in April of 2014 (when the Deeming Reg proposal was first published). It came in #1 PET plastic bottles. Since I had not yet started DIY'ing and didn't yet have my own freezer, I stuck them in my wife's big chest freezer "for a rainy day", where they got buried and more-or-less forgotten about. We found them again 2-1/2 years later and they got moved to my freezer with the rest of the nic I'd accumulated in the meanwhile. Given that it was in plastic rather than glass, I was worried that this nic would no longer be any good, so I decided to mix up a batch of my usual unflavored base with it and was pleasantly surprised that the nic was just fine.

Anyway, the nic being used in this experiment is a month shy of 3 years old. WL claims to argon-purge their nic, which probably helps, but the dark brown bottles it was in aren't suitable for repeated evaluation of color changes over time, and besides, most people re-bottle their nic in glass prior to storage, so I decided I would re-bottle this in a couple of clear class bottles with polycone caps. Here it is, fresh from the freezer yesterday:

[​IMG]

I let it come to room temperature overnight, and today, I rebottled it in the clear glass bottles:

[​IMG]

As you can see, it has just a slight tinge of straw color.

The bottle marked "F" is now back in my freezer, while the bottle marked "RT" is on a shelf, at room temperature, in a tin box (to keep out light) with a bunch of other e-liquid.

[​IMG]

I'll be back to update this thread periodically. My intention is to take pics of the two bottles side-by-side every few months to see whether the one being kept at room temperature changes (darkens) more than the one being kept in the freezer.

• Like Like x 40
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. dannyv45

dannyv45 ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I will be very interested to see your results. The milestone points should be 3, 6, 9 and 12 months.

• Like Like x 3
  3. gnees

gnees Can't use QUOTE'S Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 31, 2014
    Telford Pa.
    Thanks for the test. I am very interested on the outcome of this also.

Liberty Vapor, good juice shop. We must be close.:thumbs:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Yep, I was thinking along the same lines, but.. This experiment is being conducted in PA and I abscond to Florida for extended periods with some regularity, so the milestones will have to occur when I'm actually here.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Yep, we are. I'm in Upper Gwynedd Township.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Eskie

Eskie Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    I'm sure there will be some color change, certainly in the RT bottle (I notice it in my little 30 ml 100 mg nic bottle I keep in my flavorings stash to have around for mixing. What would be really interesting would be to not only look at the difference in color, but actually measure the nic concentration to see if there's any difference over time. It's a pretty simple pH titration test, and I think WL even sells an inexpensive kit for it.

• Like Like x 8
  7. B2L

B2L Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    Subscribed and following, will keep mine in the freezer either way but interested to see the difference.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I may do that at the very end (whenever that is) but I'd like to let this run for at least a year without opening the bottles, since opening the bottles periodically to withdraw samples would allow fresh air (and oxygen) in.

• Like Like x 7
  9. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    The Villages, FL
    Thanks for the testing!
    Where did you find the white cap shrink seal?
    I've been using plumbers Teflon tape.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dubminer

Dubminer Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2016
    Small world, i am near Phoenixville.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    It's not shrink seal; it's white electrical tape, two wraps, pulled nice and tight. I keep it around because it's easy to write on using a Sharpie and it comes off glass surfaces relatively cleanly. I like to re-use my glass bottles without having to use a strong solvent to remove the adhesive residues that most label materials leave behind.

In this case, it's primarily a reminder to me not to open the caps willy-nilly.

• Like Like x 11
  12. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    Sub'd.
    Thanks for putting in the effort Rossum

• Like Like x 3
  13. I'mnotZak

I'mnotZak Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Very interested in the progress and eventual outcome. Well done Rossum and thank you!

• Like Like x 2
  14. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Thanks, Rossum! This will be interesting. I'm one who has procrastinated in getting my nic rebottled and into the freezer. It's still water clear after about 6 months away from light in the original bottle, FWIW.

I agree that it should be frozen for long life and usability. My two liters is projected to last 18 years at my projected usage rates at 3%.

• Like Like x 5
  15. ChelsB

ChelsB Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    Thank you for this thread that is surely helpful to many

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Parth

Parth Full Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Liberty is great, as is volition vapor over in Roslyn. I work in Horsham so I usually go to one of the two haha.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  17. mattiem

mattiem ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Very interesting thread. Thank you Rossum.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tamer El-Meehy

Tamer El-Meehy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Cairo, Egypt, Egypt
    Great Idea. Thanks Rossum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  19. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Update, two weeks in:

I pulled the bottle that was in the freezer and it immediately picked up a thin layer of frost. I didn't want to want to leave out any longer than necessary to snap a pic, so it does look frosty. Nonetheless, it's quite apparent that there's a color difference between them. The camera and lighting conditions do exaggerate the difference a bit compared to what I see with my eyes, but even with the naked eyeballs, this difference is quite apparent.

[​IMG]

ETA: You can also see how much the "frozen" nic has contracted if you compare the level in this pic to the level in the pic in the first post.

• Like Like x 28
  20. KentA

KentA Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 5, 2015
    Adirondack Mountains
    That was quick.

• Like Like x 3