Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
But, but, but, his juice might really be 99.8% nic free, which is why he should titrate that stuff! He could be cheating himself out of another 0.1%
My gut says it would be very dark and taste absolutely awful before there was a significant decrease in strength.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I just bottled up my two liters in 8oz glass Boston Rounds today. The liter nic bottles were ordered Summer 2016. I've been mixing from one liter and the other had never been opened. Both are the same shade of amber and at my 3mg mix strength there's little throat hit at my 10W vaping levels.

I had a dozen brown and a dozen clear Boston Rounds and chose the clear so that I could see the color. IMO, if it's wrapped well and sealed inside a box then light degradation isn't going to be a factor. Once a bottle is removed from the freezer for use and opened it can be stored inside a box to prevent further light exposure.

View attachment 691841
It looks too dark for my taste. May be I am too sensitive to nic oxidation.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I just bottled up my two liters in 8oz glass Boston Rounds today. The liter nic bottles were ordered Summer 2016. I've been mixing from one liter and the other had never been opened. Both are the same shade of amber and at my 3mg mix strength there's little throat hit at my 10W vaping levels.

I had a dozen brown and a dozen clear Boston Rounds and chose the clear so that I could see the color. IMO, if it's wrapped well and sealed inside a box then light degradation isn't going to be a factor. Once a bottle is removed from the freezer for use and opened it can be stored inside a box to prevent further light exposure.

View attachment 691841

Is the nic in the picture about a year old and stored in the freezer in the original one liter bottle until you rebottled it? It seems very dark colored for nic that's been stored that way. My experience has been virtually no color change even in vendors plastic bottles that have been in the freezer for a year or two. I used different vendors though - is MFS amber to start?

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Is the nic in the picture about a year old and stored in the freezer in the original one liter bottle until you rebottled it? It seems very dark colored for nic that's been stored that way. My experience has been virtually no color change even in vendors plastic bottles that have been in the freezer for a year or two. I used different vendors though - is MFS amber to start?
I assumed his had been stored at room temp given the color and the premise of this thread. I keep a 120ml working bottle at room temp (Michigan brick basement so cool all year round) in a clear plastic bottle with yorker top, wrapped in black plastic and stored in a cabinet, which takes me 6+ months to mix with and my last one that I just used up (MFS 50/50, used during the warmest months of the year) had barely darkened at all.

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

No, it was stored on a shelf for about 14 months at room temp in the original bottles. One liter was opened and used for DIY and the other was still sealed with black tape over the cap. I never really looked down through the bottle top to check color until recently. I mix at 3mg/ml nic level and use pipettes to transfer from the nic bottle to the mix bottle. I have never noticed color in the pipette or the mix bottle as I transferred small amounts for DIY.

Even as dark as it is I don't sense much throat hit, but 3% isn't a very strong nic level. I suppose if I mixed up a 24mg/ml bottle of unflavored the tint would be obvious. I have three 100ml bottles of unflavored mix in Boston Rounds that were mixed from the open liter a couple of weeks ago that are water clear. A 100ml bottle gets 3.03mg of nic added at 3% (1.01 specific gravity), so coloration would be minimal.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Fixed that for you. :D

3.03mg/ml of 100mg/ml nic in a 100ml bottle isn't 3% nic? EjuiceMeUp says it's 3.03mg of 100mg/ml strength nic added to a 100ml mix bottle for a nic percentage of 3%. Specific gravity for nic is set to 1.01 in grams set.

I never really thought about worrying with the fact that pure nic is 1000mg/ml. The mix calculator is set up to 100mg nic strength for the correct specific gravity. Nic is set to 1.01mg per ml specific gravity. The calculator should do the math for me.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited:

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
3.3mg/ml of 100mg/ml nic in a 100ml bottle isn't 3% nic? EjuiceMeUp says it's 3.3mg of 100mg/ml strength nic added to a 100ml mix bottle for a nic percentage of 3%. Specific gravity for nic is set to 1.1 in grams set.

I never really thought about the fact that pure nic is 1000mg/ml. The mix calculator is set up to 100mg nic strength for the correct specific gravity. Nic is set to 1.1g per ml specific gravity.

Maybe I'm missing something.
The specific gravity of your 100mg nic is 90% determined by the base (VG/PG).

• Agree
Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The mix is 3% nic base, but that nic base itself is only 10% nicotine. So if you're just looking at the actual nicotine in the final mix, then it's 10% of 3%, which is 0.3%

I get that, but the EjuiceMeUp calculator asks for the nic base strength which is 100mg/ml, the PG/VG ratio of the nic base which is 75pg/25vg, and tells me how much of that nic base to add expressed in ML and Grams in the recipe to achieve a 3% nic level.

Using 100mg nic base in the recipe for a 50ml 3% nic mix it's 1.5ml nic base, which is 1.52g based on a 1.01 gram weight of a ML in that PG/VG mix. For the 100ml mix it's 3.03G in a 100ml bottle.

If I select 1000mg nic in the recipe setup, then it tells me to add .15ml or .15 grams of 1000mg.ml nic for a 50ml recipe. Looks like my % in the recipe is correct.

Is that not accurate? If not, then the EjuiceMeUp calculator is broken.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I get that, but the EjuiceMeUp calculator asks for the nic base strength which is 100mg/ml, the PG/VG ratio of the nic base which is 75pg/25vg, and tells me how much of that nic base to add expressed in ML and Grams in the recipe.

For a 50ml 3% (should read 3mg) nic mix it's 1.5ml nic base, which is 1.65g based on a 1.1 gram weight of a ML. For the 100ml mix it's 3.3G in a 100ml bottle.

Is that not accurate? If not, then the EjuiceMeUp calculator is broken.

3% nic would be 30mg nic

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Did that. It divides by 10 and reduces the amount to .15mg instead of 1.5mg. See post #231.

EJMU is doing the calculation correctly from what I see.

Yes, but when you change the nic base to 1000, look at the column that reflects % of Total. You will see that it indeed shows 0.3% of the total mix that matches what @Rossum posted (99.7% nic free)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yes, but when you change the nic base to 1000, look at the column that reflects % of Total. You will see that it indeed shows 0.3% of the total mix that matches what @Rossum posted (99.7% nic free)

That would be correct because the nic is 10 times as potent, requiring only a tenth of the amount for 100mg nic. It's a percent of volume, 6 drops vs 60 drops of nic. I see your point. With pure nic you see the actual amount. Working with pure nic is something no one should do in a home environment. We all use 100mg/ml at home, so we tend to think in terms of % of 100mg nic when we look at the percentage in the mix.

So the percent of total drops changes drastically because the 1000mg is pure and potent. The 100mg nic is 90% PG/VG. PG/VG mix recalculates to account for the change in PG/VG.

I never really thought about the fact that the "nicotine ejuice" label has meaning in the recipe other than nic percentage. Most of the nic mix we use is PG and/or VG. So, % of nic is a value that changes the amount and percentage because the mixes vary in PG/VG component and that's the percentage. Mg/Ml is the right measurement to quote for nic percentage.

ETA: You guys had me going for a while. I re-learned what I knew about EJMU and nic percentage concentration.

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Mg/Ml is the right measurement to quote for nic percentage.
I mean...those ("mg/ml" and "percent") are two different units. One of one is equal to about ten of the other*. If there's any chance of confusion, I write it both ways. For example, I'm about to make a batch of unflavored with a target of 6mg/ml (0.6% by volume) nicotine concentration. My current nic base is 60mg/ml (6% by volume) so that base will constitute 10% of the final mix, which in this case means 12ml nic base (15.13g) in 120ml total volume.

*Note: this 10:1 ratio is not some inherent property of the units themselves, but is strictly due to nicotine's density of 1.01g/ml (and it's only approximate, since it's not exactly 1g/ml, either but 1.01); substances with different densities would have different mass concentrations at the same volumetric percentages.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Let's get this thread back on track with an update on some of my samples.

These are the ones I've got in Florida. The idea behind this set of samples is to look at whether re-bottling in glass is better or worse than leaving nic base in its original PET plastic container.

Note that due to a power outage after Hurricane Irma, the "F" (freezer) did assume ambient temperature for approximately 1 week last month, and the "RT" (room temperature) samples spent the same amount of time at somewhat warmer temps than they usually would.

Let's start with daylight pics:

6jLrQYC.jpg

And reversing the PET/glass order just to try to eliminate position-dependent lighting effects:

FypYxfF.jpg

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Back-lit pics in the fridge next. Although this fridge is similar to the one we have up in PA, it is not exactly the same, and I'm using a different camera as well, so these pics are not completely comparable to similar ones I've posted from up in PA:

oxVTXqj.jpg

And again, reversing the Glass/PET order:

Kp5ojXg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread