Status
Not open for further replies.

tierrataz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
soCal
I think im sticking with my supplier for now. It gets muddy with some of the claims. Was almost wooed into VT reports of reduced steep times but seemed to good to be true. Lack of TH put me straight off being a heavy VG vaper. I need that thump in my throat.

Kurt, im figuring "gamey" is your perception of nic flavor and not solvents, correct? Nic with a slight cigar flavor might suit me. Was it overpowering? If it tastes of solvents, im out.

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
I think you are confusing VapersTek US-extracted with their UK sourced nic. The UK is the ultra-pure one like WL Ice. The US-extracted was the yellow/brownish nic that was very strong in flavor.

Actually, I think you're confusing VT nic with a sample of something else that Kevin sent you :)

This was all starting to mess with my head, so I went back to when I thought it popped up: Starting back with Jimi's post #1983, is the talk of the US extracted Nic and being sent samples of it. VT never sold it, it was just the owner of VT trying different nics - probably to see if it was any good and worth carrying it. He never did and stuck with selling only UK nic.

The name on the bottle of the US nic was eliquidwholesale - I believe they're out of AZ

AlphaX

Apr 7, 2011
Fargo
Ok, I got my first Liter of Vapers Tek Throat-Hit Nic today... I thought I would buy a liter because the price is right and wasn't sure I wanted to commit to the VT premium stuff yet. To try it I made a virgin 10ml of 12mg to check out just the flavor.

All I can say is I feel no need to try or buy the premium VT right now. Man, this TH stuff has next to zero smell, no taste and a nice tingle on my tongue, and very good, surprisingly good throat hit for 100% VG. Honestly, I was expecting a pepper taste, which I hate... I'm getting a good tingle on my tongue but no pepper taste at all. I'm impressed, its good stuff... If its as good in a dessert or fruity mix I may just look no further and order some more.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Ok, I got my first Liter of Vapers Tek Throat-Hit Nic today... I thought I would buy a liter because the price is right and wasn't sure I wanted to commit to the VT premium stuff yet. To try it I made a virgin 10ml of 12mg to check out just the flavor.

All I can say is I feel no need to try or buy the premium VT right now. Man, this TH stuff has next to zero smell, no taste and a nice tingle on my tongue, and very good, surprisingly good throat hit for 100% VG. Honestly, I was expecting a pepper taste, which I hate... I'm getting a good tingle on my tongue but no pepper taste at all. I'm impressed, its good stuff... If its as good in a dessert or fruity mix I may just look no further and order some more.

When I spoke with Kevin last Fall about the TH nic (at the time it was called "Pepper"), it WAS the premium nic, but he bubbled O2 gas through it to get a bit of oxidation. This might have been based on conversations I had with him previously about how I purposely age some of my nics because a bit of oxidation adds some pepper/TH nuance and other subtle, but nice flavors can develop. I do this regularly with my Vermont Vapor 35 mg VG, and my Box Elder 100 mg VG. The Vermont Vapor is very expensive nic, but it was the first bulk nic I bought, back in 2009, and I still have some, and love it. Over time it yellows ans gets more peppery (is fairly peppery fresh) and takes on maple and tobacco notes. Quite delightful. And by "pepper", I mean nasal tickle or burn, not the taste of pepper.

@squee: You might be right. The US Extracted I am thinking about was a sample Kevin sent to me and some others here. I do recall it being sold for a brief period on the VT site, however. Not there now, evidently. I've not tried the eliquidwholesale US nic. Has anyone else?

@tierrataz: what I mean by "gamey" is not solvent taste. It is sharper, has more bite. Not sure if there are any nics on the market today that have this anymore. Box Elder vintage 2011 is one I am thinking of. It used to be the norm, and was different than the infrequent solvent taste (MFS 2010 was one, but MFS is very clean now, it seems). I think that extraction does not get all the residual oxides and other tobacco alkaloids completely out, and they do have their own taste, and will depend on the extraction method as well as the orginal tobacco used. The added distillation at the end virtually gets rid of these, leaving an essentially tasteless nic, often voiod of pepper or TH.

The US-extracted from VT was overpowering for me, but my brother really likes it as a flavor additive, so I think it is a matter of taste. It was not solvent taste. Kevin thought it tasted like an ashtray. I get a bit of that, but more cigar. I thought it should be named "Roughneck" or "Hooligan". Sort of an old-world smoke taste. As a background flavor it might work. It was certainly present at 12 mg, might be ok for some as part of a tobacco juice, but to be honest I gravitated away from it. And if it was that strong in flavor of any kind, I do question its purity. It was also quite yellowed.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Over time it yellows ans gets more peppery (is fairly peppery fresh) and takes on maple and tobacco notes. Quite delightful. And by "pepper", I mean nasal tickle or burn, not the taste of pepper.

It sounds like the kind of nic I got when I first started, in 2012, i loved it, and have not been able to find again. :(

To me yellow is good, tobacco nicotine isn't clear. As long as its not chemical tasting. I expect it to taste like a light tobacco for unflavored and tobacco flavored mixes.

I guess I've accepted the clear nics and gotten used to them

Last edited:

EJAB

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2014
North Las Vegas, Nevada,U.S.A.
It sounds like the kind of nic I got when I first started, in 2012, i loved it, and have not been able to find again. :(

To me yellow is good, tobacco nicotine isn't clear. As long as its not chemical tasting. I expect it to taste like a light tobacco for unflavored and tobacco flavored mixes.

I guess I've accepted the clear nics and gotten used to them
This link might shed some light on the subject: What Does The Color of My Nicotine Mean? ~ V-eCigs Blog

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
This link might shed some light on the subject: What Does The Color of My Nicotine Mean? ~ V-eCigs Blog

Overall a good piece, and largely correct, but there are some incorrect statements.

"because nicotine has high acidity"

No. Nicotine in free-base form is NOT acidic, let alone highly acidic. 12 mg/mL solution of pure nicotine will have a pH around 10. It is a weak base. Nor are the nicotine oxides, which are the main source of color. Nicotine does not just "turn brown", it slowly over time turns into nicotine oxides. Nicotine is colorless (better term than "clear", which means not cloudy, not without color), but nicotine oxides are colored. It takes only trace oxides to color a nicotine solution. Most likely less than the limits of detection needed for determining nicotine levels, unless it is VERY dark, and then the change in potency is probably less than 10%.

They are saying this, to be clear, but some of the details are either misleading or chemically incorrect. And while I am not sure, I strongly suspect that the rose colors often seen especially with vanillas are due to nic-oxides, which are charged in one part of the molecule, pairing up in solution with certain flavor compounds, like vanillin. Not reacting, just pairing. The flavor compound creates a slightly different electronic environment for the nic-oxide molecule, and changes its color a bit (red shifting). But this is conjecture, and I've seen no studies that prove or disprove this. True, some flavor compounds are slightly acidic, and might protonate some of the nic, but protonated nic is also colorless. I also believe that some of the trace alkaloids can also form colored oxides.

I do agree that oxidation, including oxidation of trace alkaloids, adds tobacco-like flavors, which is why I have some aged some of my nics and are quite nice!

AlphaX

Apr 7, 2011
Fargo
When I spoke with Kevin last Fall about the TH nic (at the time it was called "Pepper"), it WAS the premium nic, but he bubbled O2 gas through it to get a bit of oxidation. This might have been based on conversations I had with him previously about how I purposely age some of my nics because a bit of oxidation adds some pepper/TH nuance and other subtle, but nice flavors can develop. I do this regularly with my Vermont Vapor 35 mg VG, and my Box Elder 100 mg VG. The Vermont Vapor is very expensive nic, but it was the first bulk nic I bought, back in 2009, and I still have some, and love it. Over time it yellows ans gets more peppery (is fairly peppery fresh) and takes on maple and tobacco notes. Quite delightful. And by "pepper", I mean nasal tickle or burn, not the taste of pepper.

Ok, gotcha... I was thinking for the price it would come with a mild peppery taste, which I have gotten all too often before, and was pleasantly surprised that this was completely lacking. It used to be kind of a crap shoot even ordering nic from the same sellers, sometimes it was very clean, other times it had an overwhelming pepper flavor, the only one lately that has been really consistently clean for me, at least over the last year, has been Nude Nicotine. What impresses me is that in all these years I have never really liked vaping virgin, I always needed a flavor mix, but I really like this virgin, the mild throat hit is very satisfying without being overpowering, so much so that I am not in any hurry to mix it with any flavors with it yet.

I don't know... at well under half the price of the ultra pure, tasteless nics out there, I think I am really going to like this stuff, if it performs as good in a dessert without overwhelming it with TH I am sticking with it and stocking up. If nothing else, I know being tasteless and with just the right bite this would do really well in menthols, tobaccos, and citrus mixes. Pretty sure it would really add to a Whisky, Rum or mixed drink kind of concoction too. So if I find it doesn't quite work in a dessert it will definitely have its place with some others. Seriously, if this were a liquor, I think every bar would stock it.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
Actually, I think you're confusing VT nic with a sample of something else that Kevin sent you :)

This was all starting to mess with my head, so I went back to when I thought it popped up: Starting back with Jimi's post #1983, is the talk of the US extracted Nic and being sent samples of it. VT never sold it, it was just the owner of VT trying different nics - probably to see if it was any good and worth carrying it. He never did and stuck with selling only UK nic.

The name on the bottle of the US nic was eliquidwholesale - I believe they're out of AZ
I can clarify this. The TH nic was sent to VT that already had oxidation, in it's pure form.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
US extraction lab appears to exist http://www.carolinaxtract.com/
This must be the one that's being used?
IMO it looks interesting. Not cheap.
Really crappy website/checkout process.
But there is a sample.
I google mapped that address. It's a small public college. Most likely a struggling college student reselling nic. LOL

cjb313

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Since I live in Vegas I have to buy all my nicotine before April due to the extreme heat..
I just got a liter of VG 100mg from ECX and its clear and not overwhelming strong in taste or odor (does have a TH though)..
My complaints are that its thin ?? I've bougt a lot of different types of Nic and when I refrigerate the ECX and compare it to any of the others its thin more like 80/20. Also it's a bit shy of 1L and more like a quart..
I also got 100mg VG of Nic Select (first time) and I got to say it's clear with a tiny tinge of pink and from what I've read elsewhere that means it's really pure (maybe I'm wrong idk ?)
I am certain that I'm very impressed with Nic-select and I bought it DI to the shortage over at NN but I'm glad cause it's better then NN and every bit as good as VT !!
My biggest concern is the viscosity of the ECX VG Nic and if anyone could shed light on it is be very appreciative...

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
Since I live in Vegas I have to buy all my nicotine before April due to the extreme heat..
I just got a liter of VG 100mg from ECX and its clear and not overwhelming strong in taste or odor (does have a TH though)..
My complaints are that its thin ?? I've bougt a lot of different types of Nic and when I refrigerate the ECX and compare it to any of the others its thin more like 80/20. Also it's a bit shy of 1L and more like a quart..
I also got 100mg VG of Nic Select (first time) and I got to say it's clear with a tiny tinge of pink and from what I've read elsewhere that means it's really pure (maybe I'm wrong idk ?)
I am certain that I'm very impressed with Nic-select and I bought it DI to the shortage over at NN but I'm glad cause it's better then NN and every bit as good as VT !!
My biggest concern is the viscosity of the ECX VG Nic and if anyone could shed light on it is be very appreciative...
I'm glad Nic Select is tasting better. It sounds like ECX adds water. No biggie. I prefer 10% in my Inawera nic base.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It sounds like ECX adds water. No biggie.
Maybe no biggie if you want some water in your final product, but what if you don't? And even if you do, you need to know how much water they added so you can account for it in your recipe.

Personally, I'd be pretty annoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread