Noobie:- Mech mod discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rostafi

May 19, 2017
hi I recently purchased a mech mod after seeing good things with others.

I purchased a Mage mech mod from cool art. Looked fancy and not going to lie kinda fell in love with the looks of it! It's a 2 pin with 4 terminals, tried uploading photo...apparently the photo exceeds the 1mb allowed.

I'm using 22g kanthal wire wrapped 5times and using two coming out at 0.19ohms, both firing up perfectly same time from inside to out, wrapped like a pro(I like to believe haha)

Thing is I find after about 20-30 minutes of using this the battery from fully charged is dead... I understand that yeah battery's run out and voltage will drop but really so quickly...I can't even pop to the shops and back without it running out. Last thing I want is to carry a Tesco a bag full of battery's around with me!

Any ideas or am I doing something wrong?

This mod holds one battery only..
It's a
SAMSUNG 25R 2500MAH 18650 BATTERY

MaxximusRevelation

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2016
Here is my favorite source of battery information on the net, I read his reviews like its scripture;

Samsung 25R New Green Wrap 20A (25R5) 2500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a great 20A cell

He rates the battery at 20 amp continues so that means you are exceeding the CDR of your battery by two amps.

Do you know ohms law? It is a very important tool that must be utilized at all times.

amps= Voltage divided by ohms

so your build
4.2/.19= 22.10 amps.

Also the mod you are using is a "hybrid style" mech mod. That means if you do not own a RDA with a protruding center pin you can end up with a dead short which will end up in a very bad day for you and the fellow vape community.

Do you mind if I ask what RDA you have on it? Your charging dock for your battery, and do you have a volt meter to check your battery to make sure it does not drain below 3.7v? If you are used to using a regulated device that automatically shuts off from low voltage, its the wrong approach to take with a Mech. You must have something like a volt meter to check your battery life throughout the day to make sure you don't go below 3.7V until you get used to knowing the battery life just from vapor production alone.

rostafi

May 19, 2017
Hey the battery is new, and I currently charge it through my girlfriends kangertech subox mini...I know I need to buy more battery's and get a proper charger.

The rda I use comes with it
CoilART MAGE MECH Tricker Kit review - Vaping360

I use the two inner screw holes positive to negative. I understand ohms law yes.

I realise 4.2 volts with 0.19 ohms comes out at 22amps

The book rating of the battery is 25amps.

Do you recommend any battery voltage testers?

Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
The sammy 25R is a 2500mAh, 20amp battery.
It should give a full 8 minutes of use. Battery drain
mooch2017.jpg

Be safe
I

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I think your right I don't think it is giving it a proper charge! Do you think I buy more of these battery's or change to another? I guess sub ohm rda's require 2/3 battery's to power them

No, mechs require understanding how your gear works.

Are you comprehending any of what we are telling you?

It's your extremely low build.
Your build is too low for that cell.
You are exceeding the CDR of the cell.
And you wonder why the cell has a short useable life?

Using a mod to charge batteries for your mech is just icing on the cake.

There is just so much wrong here.

You need to slow down and take some time to actually learn how to use the gear safely.
Otherwise you are heading for a reality faceplant.

Here is a good start.
(8) A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod | E-Cigarette Forum

rostafi

May 19, 2017
I had a read, learnt a few new bits! Cheers. I believe I do comprehend more than you think...I'm not stupid I'm just curious to your opinions, and I'm here because I am a beginner and I'm looking for advice :) i just wanted to make sure what I'm doing is correct, as I understand with this battery I cannot go below 0.2 ohms as it is rated at 20 amps, I deemed it being 25 as I saw somewhere so I thought 0.19 was fine...I understand that charging it off the kangertech isn't ideal but until I pick one up this weekend along with a spare couple of battery's I thought it would be fine. Is there anything I'm missing?

I've set it back up with single coil, using two just deemed too low. Running at 3.6 ohms now fully charged battery.

Seems to be operating a lot better...

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Why so extreme? 3.6 ohms is probably not making too much warmth or decent puff?
Yes your battery life will be probably all day unless you are chain vaping because you are not getting satisfactory performance.

How about aiming for 1.0 or 1.2 and seeing how that goes ? Should be fine for the battery and probably better vape all around?

rostafi

May 19, 2017
Ignore the battery running below 3.7volts I believe to understand that...

Sorry but one more question.. unless you have read something I have stated that is incorrect.

A dual parallel mod would increase battery life correct but not voltage? Therefore just increasing my battery life running at the same as a single battery.

However in series they would double there voltage and drain as a single battery, but still cannot exceed the 20 amps of the battery rating.

So how do people run at under 0.2ohm coils? If I'm mistaken it's Different battery's? Or they just don't? They just hit at increased voltage for the vapour produce?

Not that I'm going to try this until I learn more I'm just trying to understand all elements.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
People run coils under .2 ohms in a couple of different situations. The first is on a regulated device, usually with at least two batteries. But plenty of higher-powered single-battery regulated devices can at least fire that low these days, to say nothing of the vape quality.

A .2 ohm coil (or lower) can theoretically be run on a parallel mechanical device running two batteries with at least 20A CDR. (Maybe more like 18A depending on how much lower than .2 you want to go, but basically 20A+ to be safe.) Parallel mechanical mods will not actually double your amperage in practice, more like 1.5x +/- is a safe bet. Firing a .15ohm atomizer at 4.2V (and it will be less with voltage drop) is 28A, fine for a two-battery parallel mech mod. Even better on a 3 battery parallel mech mod.

There are one or two 18650s with 30A CDR though the mAh suffers as a result. I believe all current 30A 18650s are 1500mAh. But anyway, if you had a 30A 18650 you could theoretically run a .18ohm build (or even a little lower) and have some headroom, but I wouldn't personally do it or recommend it.

So < 0.2 ohm, dual or triple or quad parallel mech or a regulated device. MAYBE on a single 18650 with a 30A 18650, but I wouldn't push my luck... and if I did I wouldn't go below 0.2 on the nose, personally. Probably better to save that for the box mods.

It's a myth you need to build crazy low for flavor and clouds, anyway, even on a mech. There are so few reasons to do so outside of some very specific instances; even if you're looking for the most flavor and clouds you can possibly get, there are other techniques to obtain a better vape that don't just require building lower.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread