Odds of US Juice being seized

Discussion in 'Canada Forum' started by Stiiinger, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Stiiinger

Stiiinger Senior Member

Wondering what the odds are of juice being seized when purchased from a US vendor.

I've read some people say it's not a huge concern, and they've only had like 1 in 10 shipments delayed at customs, but made it through eventually (or reshipped by vendor and made it through).

Other opinions are on the opposite side of the spectrum saying it's a high risk and you'll be lucky if 50% or more of your shipments don't get seized.

Have things gotten worse lately? Was it easier at one point, but Canadians customs have cracked down lately?

With the price disparity, I find it difficult outright eliminate US vendors from my list, especially when talking about buying big bottles. I want to order a few of the 236mL bottles from MBV, but if I factor in re-buying lost shipments, it may not be worth it...

2. retired1

retired1 Curmudgeon Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I've ordered a couple of times from US companies and received my shipments fine. Others aren't having that kind of luck. Personally, it's not worth the hassle and I DIY now.

3. aggo

aggo Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Been vaping 3.5 years and ordered juice from the US and China multiple times (including two very recent orders). Not a single package seized. I've been really lucky, though.

There are many great Canadian juice makers to choose from now. My intention is to buy Canadian 90% of the time, but a couple US vendors had such great sales recently I just couldn't pass them up. :vapor: tee hee

4. Tajji'smom

Tajji'smom Super Member ECF Veteran

I've never had a problem-I order from China and the US at least once a month

5. wheelie

wheelie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    About 15 orders of juice and have never had a problem. Got a big order here on Friday as a matter of fact.

6. fourtytwo

fourtytwo Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I think the bottom line on this issue is that, your chances are pretty good that your order will arrive without problems.
    Having said that, you should also keep in mind that many people have had orders stopped by customs.
    The possibility exists and should be factored in.
    Do not depend on timely delivery and do not be surprised if it is seized.

I do question what price difference would justify the hassle.
    For me, a 30ml bottle lasts a week and a half or so. If I save 5 bucks per bottle, that's still not enough to buy me a donut a day at Timmies.

As mentioned above, there are so many excellent Canadian juice makers now. Why shop anywhere else?

7. bananatole

bananatole Full Member

i bought a small order and it got sent back to the vendor and then a large one before i realized my first one got caught.

the big one made it through, so its random id guess.

8. Stiiinger

Stiiinger Senior Member

I've heard that the reputable US vendors will resend the package if it gets sent back, at no charge.

9. retired1

Supporting member
    Generally, most will resend, but not sure about the "no charge" bit. Some will require you to fork over the shipping again.

10. Stiiinger

Stiiinger Senior Member

True enough for the 30mL bottles, but the larger bottles do offer significant savings. A 236mL bottle from MBV @ $40 is quite a bargain compared to paying $15-20 per 30mL up here. I have seen some vendors offer 100mL bottles around the same price point, but that's still more than double the cost per mL of MBV.

I'm new, so I'm still going kind of crazy ordering many different kinds of flavours. Once I narrow down my ADV list, those 236mL bottles are quite attractive.

11. fourtytwo

fourtytwo Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Check out Dashvapes. They have MBV for $10 for a 30ml bottle and $15 for a 50ml. More expensive than $40 for a 236ml bottle but they are a local B&M so no shipping and no CBSA involved. Really nice store in case you have never been there.
    :)

12. fati

fati Full Member

They usually get trough without any problem, but if the fda regulations come ups that might change the picture.

13. Stiiinger

Stiiinger Senior Member

Ty, sir! Looks like they even carry most of the flavours I was interested in, too. I saw they don't offer extra flavour shots, boo, but they say all their bottlesalready contain 2 extra shots by default, yay! (emailed them and asked)

They're still a bit out of my way with me on the west side of Mississauga, so I'd still be paying shipping, but I usually try to order enough to take advantage of the free shipping threshold.

Luckily my first 6x30mL order from MBV cleared customs and was delivered this morning, and it looks like my 8x30mL second order also cleared and should be at my door by Monday! Odds were in my favor this time, but still not sure if I want to take the risk next time.

14. Raztax

Raztax Senior Member

Ive been wondering this too. Been looking at getting into DiY, and the cost of nicotine base in canada is several times that of the US. Although, Im thinking that a big bottle of nic base likely wont get through customs.
    It seems rather difficult to find a reliable source for 100mg nic base here.

15. dahlialady

dahlialady Senior Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    One thing to remember.
    If you do have a shipment seized, your address will be put on a nice little "watch list", and you can be sure that everything with your name and address coming to you will be put aside and thoroughly checked. I'll keep buying in Canada. Hopefully we will get some really decent suppliers of base liquid in this country! :2c:

16. pulp

pulp Senior Member ECF Veteran

Not true. This shipment is the one that was seized 2 months ago. It just past Customs on the return trip from my supplier after receiving it from Customs. LOL!!!

[​IMG]

It's waiting for me to pick her up after work.

[​IMG]

:vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor:

17. pulp

pulp Senior Member ECF Veteran

73 days later after confiscation.... sweet, suhweeeeeeet VICTORY!!!! :D

[​IMG]

The Eagle Has Landed. :vapor::vapor:

18. SharonH

SharonH Super Member ECF Veteran

I'm not sure why anyone would risk US orders. FYI - traveling back into Canada, I've had 2 of my personal juices on me seized by Customs.

For the $40 236 ml bottles from the US - Jugheads had bulk pricing on 250ml for just under $60 and you can order via email any time.

19. retired1

Supporting member
    :blink: Was this at the border or at one of the airports?

20. McSleaz

McSleaz Full Member

I order from Florida and China every payday(bi-weekly), ALL my shipments have always made it through.
    China always labels my packages "Health and Lifestyle"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.