Not open for further replies.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Back to my Protank story...

After I got mine my friends started getting them. As I said before, mine was buggy (AF either too airy or too tight; leaking, etc.) and we had to work on things before we bonded. My friends weren't having the same problems (or not as much) and I was jealous.

For you newer vapers, back in the day you couldn't just buy a different tank if you had trouble. You had to deal with what was available. Because my ADV is a major tank cracker I can only use glass or metal. I didn't want to use metal (aluminum Vivi Novas were all you would get anyway), so my only choice was a carto tank. I liked them a lot, still do (shout out to OCD @ IBTanked), but cartos take time to set up and you can't change flavors easily. I longed for a plug & play. I was frustrated.

It took me awhile to find this old post:

"Why doesn't Protank love me? Perhaps my expectations were too high. I feel like I met someone online and got Catfished. I've talked to it nicely; I've kept the glass and tip sparkling; I consented to that asphyxiation thing it likes so much; I gave it heads, yet still it toys with me - one minute I think we have a relationship and the next...I'm left breathless and wet, the flavor of life muted. I feel abandoned and disillusioned. Every post I read of how much love it gives other people is like a dagger in my heart.

I've gone back to my IBTanked. Sure, the relationship isn't perfect, we have to work at it, but it's there for me. I'm still not content though. I can't seem to help myself. Late at night I reach out to Protank and sometimes it seems like there's promise, but in the morning I realize I let my heart get broken once again. Perhaps I should try Angel Tears, since I haven't heard of a vendor selling a Low Self-Esteem flavor."

Last edited:

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
In the end, Protank and I got counseling and were able to work out our issues. It will always have a special place in my heart.

propirate.jpg
promink.jpg

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oh, that looks perfect and the heads look very similar to the ones used by the aerotank - of which I have a supply (my wife loved the aerotank until I hooked her on the Squape R/Rs and the Kabuki). The coil package says it works with the protank....

ETA: What kind of AF does it have - I can't tell?

The heads are on sale too:

Hypertank Coils

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
"Why doesn't Protank love me? Perhaps my expectations were too high. I feel like I met someone online and got Catfished. I've talked to it nicely; I've kept the glass and tip sparkling; I consented to that asphyxiation thing it likes so much; I gave it heads, yet still it toys with me - one minute I think we have a relationship and the next...I'm left breathless and wet, the flavor of life muted. I feel abandoned and disillusioned. Every post I read of how much love it gives other people is like a dagger in my heart.

I've gone back to my IBTanked. Sure, the relationship isn't perfect, we have to work at it, but it's there for me. I'm still not content though. I can't seem to help myself. Late at night I reach out to Protank and sometimes it seems like there's promise, but in the morning I realize I let my heart get broken once again. Perhaps I should try Angel Tears, since I haven't heard of a vendor selling a Low Self-Esteem flavor."
Too Funny!!!

Freedom2Vape

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2015
Texas
The ones on each end...is that the Bronze ?
Really pretty !!
Yes - I ended up with 2 standard size Bronze (one was supposed to be Black), and a glovari mini instead of the red/black. I'm happy with them, as I have 5 nephews. Fortunately, I get to keep the purple mini (my wife's favorite color) and still be ok because one of the nephews was smart and bought his own provari (and was highly influential in my first provari purchase).

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
Flashing? Is that heating the coil with the Provari while the coil has no wick and is dry?

You could try heating the coil with the Provari with no wick is another option. Since I'm usually changing out the wick and have the base unscrewed from the rest of the Sophia, I usually use a torch to clean my coils. I'll hold the base in my left hand fingers and the torch in my right hand and kind of wave the coil in and out of the flame until it look like all the gunk is cleaned off. 30 gauge kanthal will melt as it's really thin so I don't want to leave the coil in the flame for very long, else I'll be making another coil. The base is stainless steel which conducts heat poorly so holding it in my fingers, I can tell if it's getting too hot. Might take some trial and error before getting it right. The worse thing that can happen is you'll have to make another coil.

Freedom2Vape

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2015
Texas

After I got mine my friends started getting them. As I said before, mine was buggy (AF either too airy or too tight; leaking, etc.) and we had to work on things before we bonded. My friends weren't having the same problems (or not as much) and I was jealous.

For you newer vapers, back in the day you couldn't just buy a different tank if you had trouble. You had to deal with what was available. Because my ADV is a major tank cracker I can only use glass or metal. I didn't want to use metal (aluminum Vivi Novas were all you would get anyway), so my only choice was a carto tank. I liked them a lot, still do (shout out to OCD @ IBTanked), but cartos take time to set up and you can't change flavors easily. I longed for a plug & play. I was frustrated.

It took me awhile to find this old post:

I love this story - have you ever thought about writing romance novels (with a twist) :D.

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
In the end, Protank and I got counseling and were able to work out our issues. It will always have a special place in my heart.

propirate.jpg
promink.jpg

I didn't go to the same therapist. I gave up on the Protanks when all my eGo twists broke.

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
You could try heating the coil with the Provari with no wick is another option. Since I'm usually changing out the wick and have the base unscrewed from the rest of the Sophia, I usually use a torch to clean my coils. I'll hold the base in my left hand fingers and the torch in my right hand and kind of wave the coil in and out of the flame until it look like all the gunk is cleaned off. 30 gauge kanthal will melt as it's really thin so I don't want to leave the coil in the flame for very long, else I'll be making another coil. The base is stainless steel which conducts heat poorly so holding it in my fingers, I can tell if it's getting too hot. Might take some trial and error before getting it right. The worse thing that can happen is you'll have to make another coil.

The wire I have is 28 gauge so it's not far from 30. Are you using a common butane torch?

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I left the Protank for the Kayfun 2.5 or Lite or something like that. Never looked back. I still use Kayfuns 99.9% of the time. I had a brief fling with the Erlkonigian (sp?) but liked the larger build space and slightly more robust design of the Kayfun.

The Kayfun 4 when it came out was not my cup of tea. I should probably look into that again and see if it's actually been redesigned to be usable these days.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Protank's, weren't they those really heavy plated brass tanks. I didn't have good luck with those.

They were really airy and I kind of like that but then it would flood.

They were stainless, but yes, very heavy. The thick glass turned out to be what caused much of the leaking mine had. The glass would get cold overnight and took a lot of time to warm up. The head would warm the juice, but it couldn't warm the glass fast enough to keep up, so the juice would drip out the bottom.

Once I learned to warm the glass before I used it; to block the center with a Q-tip when I turned it upside down to fill it; to only fill it 3/4 of the way; to take a cold draw first to listen for gurgling, and if I heard any, to put my finger over the airflow hole then lightly suck through the drip tip to get a vacuum; then if it gurgled again to roll up a piece of tissue, insert it into the airflow hole and light blow through the drip tip to blow out the excess; then restricted the airflow with these little pads I found that worked better than bandaids, it vaped great. Except the flavor was muted.

It's probably no wonder to anyone why, when I was at home, I direct dripped on a 306 or 510 atty.

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
They were stainless, but yes, very heavy. The thick glass turned out to be what caused much of the leaking mine had. The glass would get cold overnight and took a lot of time to warm up. The head would warm the juice, but it couldn't warm the glass fast enough to keep up, so the juice would drip out the bottom.

Once I learned to warm the glass before I used it; to block the center with a Q-tip when I turned it upside down to fill it; to only fill it 3/4 of the way; to take a cold draw first to listen for gurgling, and if I heard any, to put my finger over the airflow hole then lightly suck through the drip tip to get a vacuum; then if it gurgled again to roll up a piece of tissue, insert it into the airflow hole and light blow through the drip tip to blow out the excess; then restricted the airflow with these little pads I found that worked better than bandaids, it vaped great. Except the flavor was muted.

It's probably no wonder to anyone why, when I was at home, I direct dripped on a 306 or 510 atty.
The wonder is that you used it at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread