PTB Plug Full 510 Cart

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhoneil

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
My first newbie post, so be gentle...

Started vaping about 2 weeks ago on a 510 with the "new" atty from Innovapor, just got serious this week when my major juice shipment arrived.
I was off analogs in 1 day!

Anyway, been trying the mods while I have been home sick and this is the best IMHO that I have come across. I just discovered a trick for when it starts to go dry (forgive me if someone already posted it somewhere else). Instead of taking the hard draw and resuming to get the vapor back, try twisting the cartridge while holding the atty, an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn back and forth does it. The bridge grabs the plug and wrings juice out on to the atty, it's like you just refilled or even dripped! Try it. :hubba:

The question: With the PTB, as good as they are, I am getting a distinct nylon aftertaste. :( There is no sign of burning, but I know what nylon tastes like (long story) and this is it. Has anyone else noticed this and does it tend to go away?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome and hope you find the ECF a great place for all your questions.
Sorry you are sick and pray for a speedy recovery.
Twist: I think that is a great idea my brother has tried this as well with some success. The only thing I would be concerned about is the integrity or the bridge itself. I have been recently working on the issues with PTB and 'thinner' ejuice. I think I have made something using a whole PTB but it was flush to the top of the cart and I am worried that I may be crushing the bridge down due to the amount of material in the cart. I continued to see if i could move and manipulate the bridge with the end of a pen and I was surprised at how easy it was to move. I do not think that the original "RHO mod" would have enough material to move or crush the bridge but this new experiment may. So that would be my only concern with the twist. Let us know if you notice that the bridge starts twisting or changing shape.

As far as the taste, the only time I get a weird taste with this mod is when it is either running low, running dry or when its a newly cleaned out (hot water and blown out) for me a couple of drops to top usually helps.

Again, welcome. thanks for the post. The more information we have the more we can do.

rho

Edit- as I said earlier, I am esperimienting with a new mod that uses the whole PTB (not cutting it in half first and not cutting it. There is a lot of material in there. I just tried the twist with it and I acutaly broke off the top of my bridge, the mesh part. I do not think it would happen with material that is loose in the cart but if you are using something that is not loose I would not recommend twisting it. Is my atty ruined? I dont know. Actually Im pretty excited to see how this performs getting to touch the actual strands with this new mod.
More to come...

Last edited:

rhoneil

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Edit- as I said earlier, I am esperimienting with a new mod that uses the whole PTB (not cutting it in half first and not cutting it. There is a lot of material in there. I just tried the twist with it and I acutaly broke off the top of my bridge, the mesh part. I do not think it would happen with material that is loose in the cart but if you are using something that is not loose I would not recommend twisting it. Is my atty ruined? I dont know. Actually Im pretty excited to see how this performs getting to touch the actual strands with this new mod.
More to come...

Ok, when I twisted using a tight mod (not the "RHO mod" something different) because it was a mod that does not move, I started hearing some ripping. The bridge material twisted then eventually broke off. I also fear that the strands underneath it has been cut off. I am now getting a burnt taste. Granted, I twisted it all the way around. This is not what was suggested but I wanted to see what the dangers are of doing it too much. Now I know. Again, if you dont twist it too much, I dont think there will be a problem. Heck, I twist it to some degree every time I take a cart off. But do not over do it especially if you have a mod that does not have the flexibility to move in the cart. ... like i had.

results 2 attys down, lucky i have 3 to go.

rho

Last edited:

Pumaman

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
Welcome and hope you find the ECF a great place for all your questions.
Sorry you are sick and pray for a speedy recovery.
Twist: I think that is a great idea my brother has tried this as well with some success. The only thing I would be concerned about is the integrity or the bridge itself. I have been recently working on the issues with PTB and 'thinner' ejuice. I think I have made something using a whole PTB but it was flush to the top of the cart and I am worried that I may be crushing the bridge down due to the amount of material in the cart. I continued to see if i could move and manipulate the bridge with the end of a pen and I was surprised at how easy it was to move. I do not think that the original "RHO mod" would have enough material to move or crush the bridge but this new experiment may. So that would be my only concern with the twist. Let us know if you notice that the bridge starts twisting or changing shape.

As far as the taste, the only time I get a weird taste with this mod is when it is either running low, running dry or when its a newly cleaned out (hot water and blown out) for me a couple of drops to top usually helps.

Again, welcome. thanks for the post. The more information we have the more we can do.

rho

More to come...
Ok, when I twisted using a tight (not the "RHO mod" something different) because it was a mod that does not move, I started hearing some ripping. The bridge material twisted then eventually broke off. I also fear that the strands underneath it has been cut off. I am now getting a burnt taste. Granted, I twisted it all the way around. This is not what was suggested but I wanted to see what the dangers are of doing it too much. Now I know. Again, if you dont twist it too much, I dont think there will be a problem. Heck, I twist it to some degree every time I take a cart off. But do not over do it especially if you have a mod that does not have the flexibility to move in the cart. ... like i had.

results 2 attys down, lucky i have 3 to go.
Thanks for the response and the thought, but no worries, just a bug or something. Couldn't have worked out better to start vaping seriously this week, normally I would have been spraying chloraseptic on my throat to get it numb enough to choke down a cigarette, now, no issue! You are right about the bridge, I poked around myself and it just kind of rides on the element. I do have it packed loose though, and the amount of torsion required to twist the packing at a max 1/4 turn is pretty low, I'll do it for a while and see what happens. First cartridge with the RHO mod and twisting went almost 2 hours (so the cartridge lasted exactly as long as the battery!) of fairly constant vaping at a new fill vapor and throat hit level and the refill took 12 drops, too exciting to stop. This is how it should work. I am still getting the nylon taste, so I'm going to try the same mod with a regular tea bag and twisting to see if it's me or the bag.

Porphy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Lancaster, CA
www.AVEJuice.com
The wife and I are really happy with this mod version Rho thanks a ton. We're in the process of taking the polyfill out of 20ish carts and replacing them with the RHO mod (so glad we shortened it). One thing, you make it look so easy to fold the PTB's in your vid but ours just do not like to hold a fold until they are in the cart and wet.

Getting them in there initially is a PITA but after that they stay in shape and keep their functionality.

rhoneil

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
If sattec is referring to a plug mod I made it is a simple plug mod using PTB material. It worked well for me. One of the things I did not like about it is refilling the cart. You would have to take the plug out to be able to fill it. This goes with pretty much any plug mod. Another thing that I did not like is that the atty bridge would push it down in the cart. Trying to get the plug to stay at the top is how I came up with the "Rho Mod."

It has been called the M mod because of its shape when you look at it in the cart. Turned to the side it also looks like the Greek letter "Sigma."

Maybe I should call the "M" mod the "Sigma Mod" to go with the current theme.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/33870-loose-ptb-plug.html

rho

Last edited:

rhoneil

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
This one is an older video but I didnt realize that I did not have one on this thread from beginning to end. I did post the "Two Minute Rho mod" but not this one. So here it is.

YouTube - 510 Cart Mod Double Fold Quick Instructional

I made this to show my brother from beginning to end how I did it at the time. The 2 minute is how I have been doing it recently.

rho

rhoneil

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
I'm still having some leakage issues.
I'll continue trying things.

First of all, I want to let you know how much I appreciate you posting. I dont have different types of PVs nor do I have attys of different ages nor do I use juice or different consistencies. I wish I did so I could test out different things for people. Thanks for letting us know that you are having an issue.

just a few questions.
- Model of PV
- type of juice (i dont know if this matters, but if you are having different results with different juices, it would be good to know)
- approximation of the amount of juice that is escaping the unit.
- Type of mod you are using
- if rho mod, single or double fold
- if rho mod, loose or tight roll

any other information would be helpful

- what has leaked on you in the past, type of mod and type of material
- what has worked for you in the past, type of mod and type of material
[edit]
- where is it leaking, ring/ hole
- when is it leaking, in use/ laying flat/ in pcc/ LED up/ LED down etc.
[edit]

thats all I can think of right now.

again, thanks for the post, and patience
rho

Last edited:

rhoneil

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
I'm still having some leakage issues.
I'll continue trying things.

still in testing phase but would you be interested in trying something like this?

IMAG0277.jpg

It uses a whole PTB. I was able to get 15 drops in the cart before placing it in and another one after. Yes, it is a tiny string hanging out. It acts as a dual purpose, hopefully, one: to get juice to the bridge and two: facilitate the removing of the mod when you need to fill it. You will never guess where I got it... the PTB string that comes with every bag. Again, it is the first time I put it in and as a matter of fact it is in an atomizer that I thought I broke. Its working ok now, we will see.
WARNING:
- with plug mods similar to this I would not suggest you twist the cart too much. You may permanently damage your atomizer bridge.
- I would not suggest using this with a flat tip if you have a preference of its orientation related to the 510 button. (if you always want the button on top of bottom) The orientation of the 'wick' is important. We want it to sit on the bridge and not hang over the coil. If you have a preference in a flat tip orientation you may leave the 'wick' in the wrong place.

let me know if you would like instructions.
(still testing it)
rho

rho

Last edited:

rhoneil

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
LOL, Rho, we're going to institute versioning for you mods: Rho.V1, Rho.V2, Rho.V3

haha, I was thinking, except the original "Rho Mod" the rest should be named after the Greek letter it looks like from the top of the cart.

"Rho Mod" should really be the "Omicron Mod"
even though the letter "P" (Greek letter Rho) kinda symbolizes the original feel of the mod where there is more material on the top then the bottom.
Okay, the geekiness is really starting to show.

rho

SudokuGal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
USA-Florida
haha, I was thinking, except the original "Rho Mod" the rest should be named after the Greek letter it looks like from the top of the cart.

"Rho Mod" should really be the "Omicron Mod"
even though the letter "P" (Greek letter Rho) kinda symbolizes the original feel of the mod where there is more material on the top then the bottom.
Okay, the geekiness is really starting to show.

rho

:lol:yep, the geekiness is starting to get a little over the top...but that's okay...you're among friends.

one_raven

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2009
JOYE 510 from Innovapor with unmodified ECOpure Purist juice (30mg VG, no added flavor).
Atomizer from WidowsBeadwork.
Double-roll Rho Mod.
I also tried a double-roll Rho tucked into a drinking straw bit.
Then I tried adding the tea-bag-wrapped-around-the-straw-bit option.

I get some leakage out the side, some waterpipe gurgling and some spittle from the filter into my mouth.
I tried to wrap it fairly loosely.
Too tight and it would dry out quickly - too loose and it would leak like a seive.
If I kept it in my pocket cart-side down the juice would drop to the back-end of the cart and it would run dry.
If I kept it in my pocket cart-side up, it would leak.
If I kept it on its side, the results would vary depending on how much juice was in it.

I think I found something that seems to be working pretty well now, thanks to you and your investigations.

Pyramid Flower.
With your idea that the juice wants to go to the folds, and attempting to keep the tea bag in as much contact with the bridge as possible, I decided to cut the tea bag from the other direction. Still keep the folds on top, but have those folds cut and separated, instead of all rolled together and interdependent upon eachother. So some of the folds can get crushed and the others will not drop down with them...

I took a whole, opened tea bag and foled it down horizontally.
I cut off about in inch from the end and put that aside.
I cut slits into the folded tea bag from the folded side down (not from the open side) about halfway through. Each cut was about 1/8 inch apart from the next (or a little less).
I rolled it up and tucked it into the straw piece (cut the length of the cart) so the folds just barely stick out of the top and look a bit like a flower.
The bit of tea bag I put aside, I cut to size so it will wrap around the straw once and was the same height as the straw. A "sleeve" for the straw.
I wrapped that bit around the straw and tucked the whole thing in the cart together.
When I filled it and put the atomizer in, it pushed some of the folds down in the center, but the outer "flower petals" stayed up and surrounded the bridge.

No leakage at all - not even the gurgling sound of a waterpipe.
Once in a while the draw is a little too light, and I have to pull a little harder on the next one - that's about the only drawback so far.
Best flavor so far.
Amount of vapor is pretty consistent - though trailing off slightly after a while.
Bone dry PV - no leakage into the filter air channels.
No dry atomizer taste.
So far so good.
When it dries out, I will let you know how many more drops it will take.

rhoneil

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread