PTB Straw Mod: PTB Made Easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeytown

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2009
MI, USA
I couldn't get it to go in w/o tearing with whatever I used.

Hey Bahnzo,

What I did to push the PTB in was break off one end of a wooden toothpick, then roll the end around on my counter to round it off, making a fairly smooth sorta ball shaped end. You may need to wet it a little to get it smooth, and pick off the little stray pieces. After that, you have a PTB stuffer on one end, and a PTB remover on the still pointy end.

Also, I agree on the flavor. I've tried dripping off and on, but I still feel like the flavor is sooooo much better from this cart mod. Kristin rocks!

bladebarrier

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
CT
This is really working well for me. Thank you for sharing it!

I originally started using the PTB folded/frayed mod, and it worked great for volume of vapor, as well as flavor, but I felt like I needed to top it off a lot, and it was regularly flooding, and giving me juice into the mouth. That would suggest that I was over-filling it, I suppose, but I found that even when I was very cautious about how much to add/re-fill, I would end up with unpleasant results, at times.

Using this mod, I failed the first time, as I clearly hadn't pushed enough material in. It was obvious because right after I snipped the top off, the filler started to pop out, and upon pushing it back in, it was clearly too short. My error, and so I didn't bother filling it.

Sooo...

Attempt number two. I used tweezers again, and without pushing hard, I merely continually turned it a bit, and pushed in a bit more, in careful attempts to get more in, and get it deeper (I'll finish the post in a moment; getting a little worked up with my wording and the OP explanation of it looking like a flower.... aside from the tweezer bit).

Ok now, where was I?

Right. This made it far more densely compacted, the PTB stayed right at the tip, and it was easily adjusted to form a nice even set of folds. Voila, I found a good starting point. Absolutely no flooding. I can top it off without worry (being realistic, of course). No juice in the mouth, ever. Almost Perfect.

Attempt number three will be tomorrow, or later tonight. I may pack it just a tad bit looser, to allow a sliver more airflow.

/For comparision's sake: I'm using a Joye LR atomizer, on a Joye 1000mah battery, with a standard 510 cart, lipton PTB (cut in half, and snipped after insertion, as described in the OP). The juice I would call a medium thickness; tending slightly towards the thicker side. Hopscotch from FSUSA, in a 50/50 pg/vg blend, at 9mg.

Thanks again!

I think I found a mod I'll be sticking with for a long time. It's easy enough to keep a few empty, or filled, carts ready to go. It's easy enough to make them, and finally I'm not getting a mouth full of juice, or flooding. Plus re-filling is a snap.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I've found that the occurrence of leaks increases without the straw, but it depends on the cartridge and liquid you use, as well.

I've also noticed increased leaking with thinner liquids (Nhaler's Octane=no leaks, DIY Flavor Shack=a LOT of leaking) and if your cartridge is showing wear and tear (melting at the edge) it can affect the seal and increase leaking.

Remember to occasionally remove the PTB, open it up fully, rinse under hot water and pat dry, especially if you see that it's accepting less liquid on refills.

I've found this is a great mod for LR attys on my H16 - it keeps the atty nice and moist and creates great flavor and vapor!

mikecup

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2010
Peninsula, Ohio
Hi Kristin, wow this thread has been going for almost a year now. Great idea of yours.
I have been using your method for a few months now I do not use the straw, I use 90% vg, pg bothers me.
Now besides the melting carts on the sides it works great. Yes I do watch how I install the carts but they still melt.
But my question is have you ever tried this method somehow with the 510 mega carts? I have a lot of the 510 long atty's which of course use the xl mega carts.

Jessara

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
SW Oklahoma
Yay! I'm finally able to post here!

I just wanted to say that I love your mod! Unfortunately, I didn't have any ptb's nor did I have the right size straw. So I modified your mod (hehe) with stuff I had. I used a regular tea bag instead of a ptb, and the only straw I had in the house was too big around for my 510 cart so in addition to snipping the sides into inverted V's, I also cut all the up one side so I could roll it slightly tighter to fit in the cart. It works like a charm!

I have had 2 cases of leaking, but I'm sure that is directly caused by my over-filling (I pushed it with about 14 drops on refill, lol). I can now vape on the same cart for several hours and the filler actually uses up the juice. The biggest change I noticed was the amount of vapor. OMGosh! I'm putting out a serious plume of vapor now, lol.

Next time we go into town (we live out in the middle of nowhere) I'll try to find some ptb's and smaller-diameter straws so I can really test out your exact mod. But for those of us dying to try it without the exact supplies, the items I used worked too (at least for me and my PG liquid and 510).

Thanks, Kristin!

Edit: Oh I also meant to mention - the FLAVOR! When I was using the standard polyfil junk that came in the carts, I would get this nasty after-taste after about 10 uses or so. That does *not* happen anymore using the tea bag. Much cleaner taste for much longer between refills.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Hi Mikecup,

Sorry, no - I haven't tried mega carts yet. DaveP said he has used it with success on the mega carts, though: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...b-straw-mod-ptb-made-easy-34.html#post1559391

I know melting carts is an issue. I have the same problem, but it seems to happen with every cart mod I've tried. Luckily, empty carts are cheap and usually come free with new attys, too! I've noticed that LR attys don't seem to melt attys as quickly and the mod works really well with them.

Hi Kristin, wow this thread has been going for almost a year now. Great idea of yours.
I have been using your method for a few months now I do not use the straw, I use 90% vg, pg bothers me.
Now besides the melting carts on the sides it works great. Yes I do watch how I install the carts but they still melt.
But my question is have you ever tried this method somehow with the 510 mega carts? I have a lot of the 510 long atty's which of course use the xl mega carts.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Yay! I'm finally able to post here!

I just wanted to say that I love your mod! Unfortunately, I didn't have any ptb's nor did I have the right size straw. So I modified your mod (hehe) with stuff I had. I used a regular tea bag instead of a ptb, and the only straw I had in the house was too big around for my 510 cart so in addition to snipping the sides into inverted V's, I also cut all the up one side so I could roll it slightly tighter to fit in the cart. It works like a charm!
Hi Jessara,

I think the difference with using standard tea bags is that they degrade and aren't as rinsable. The stiffness of the PTB lets it keep that pleated cone shape better, as well. If you like it with regualr tea bags, you'll love the PTB.

I also recommend snipping short cuts into the open end of the cone a few times to "shred" it a little. It allows the PTB to open up more and seems to reduce leaking. Another thing to check with leaking is for melted edges on the cart. I've found if I'm getting leaking that I need a new cart. I keep refills to about 10 drops - just when it pools on the top. Especially with an LR atty, so it stays nice and wet.

The best size straw (and easiest to find) are the kid's "bendy" straws that you can find at Walmart and most grocery stores. You get a ton in one package and each straw makes several carts.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I'm giving it a shot without a straw today. Sometimes (rarely) the straw gets too flattened that it closes the notches and stops the airflow - which just happened to me. You can tell because you can only get 5-6 drops in on a refill. (Please keep in mind that "drops" vary in size - I think my bottle makes big drops!)

After being in the straw for a while, the PTB gets "formed" into the closed umbrella/cone shape, so I just took out the straw and popped the PTB back in - it never even opened up. I was able to refill with 12 drops (already had a bit in the cart, too.) I think maybe it didn't work so well for me WITHOUT the straw because I was just sticking the PTB in the cart & it didn't have a chance to set into the umbrella/cone shape, which made it get pushed around in the cart too much by the atty. Now that it's been "formed" maybe it'll work better than it has in the past - I'll let you all know!

It could be possible that the best version of this mod will be to stick PTB in a straw, get it wet and let it "set" into shape. Then just pop the PTB "cone" in without the straw and it'll hold even more liquid!

I just took a clean cart, stuck in a straw and cut it flush, stuck in the PTB and cut it flush, pulled it back out a little and snipped it a few times with a scissors, put it back in, got it wet with a little water, shook out the water and now I'm letting it dry - took all of a minute and a half to do. I'm going to see if that sets the cone/umbrella shape enough to just use the PTB without a straw.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Well, after trying it for an hour or so, I put the straw back in! Well - a new one with better vent notches. Without the straw, got a lot of liquid in the cart, but the atty started tasting dried when it was only 1/2 empty. The straw just does a better job keeping the PTB in contact with the atty and wicking all of the liquid. I put in a new straw with better notches (I think my first ones were too small) and now it's working perfectly - 10 drops on the refill. Weird, even though slightly less liquid fits, it lasts longer between refills - probably because ALL of the liquid gets used! What's the point of getting 12 or more drops into the cart if it doesn't all come back out again? lol!

Well, so much for that experiment - the straw stays for me! :thumbs:

ledouxmike

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Lafayette, LA
Well, after trying it for an hour or so, I put the straw back in! Well - a new one with better vent notches. Without the straw, got a lot of liquid in the cart, but the atty started tasting dried when it was only 1/2 empty. The straw just does a better job keeping the PTB in contact with the atty and wicking all of the liquid. I put in a new straw with better notches (I think my first ones were too small) and now it's working perfectly - 10 drops on the refill. Weird, even though slightly less liquid fits, it lasts longer between refills - probably because ALL of the liquid gets used! What's the point of getting 12 or more drops into the cart if it doesn't all come back out again? lol!

Well, so much for that experiment - the straw stays for me! :thumbs:

The straw also helps with air flow through the cart, so the liquid can flow to the atomizer. The notches help as well on the same principal. Without the straw, there is poor airflow, so the bottom of the cart holds on to the juice. When looking down into a cart, the air flows between the straw and the cart, down to the bottom of the cart, through the notches and then back up to the atomizer. When the air flows, the juice flows. lol
That's my take on it anyways.

I stubbled across this particular mod last night and got all the materials I needed. Hardest to find was the PTB's. So I did the mod and tried it out today. Working pretty good so far. It wicks a lot better than the original stuff. When I notice it getting low on juice, I can put 9 or 10 drops. Mostly 9. But that is much better than 3 that I was getting with the original stuff after it was broken in. The funny thing is, with a freshly filled cart, it's hard to draw, but the vapor is great. Just took a few drags and this is vaping very well indeed. Big Clouds of vapor from a little 510 cart. The only issue i've had was from the PTB pulling out of the cart. Maybe it's just the way my PTB is rolled. Couldn't get it to look quite like the picture. It's kinda tightly rolled. Besides that, I'm really happy with this mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread