rDNA 40? Wait? Or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
I've wanted an rDNA 40 ever since they were first released...heck, I wanted VS's dna 30 when it was first released, but opted for a Hana clone since it was much cheaper. Now that the rDNA 40 is $130...its in my price range. What do you guys think? Go for it...wait it out...or get something else? I've seen people complain that the Evolv chips are glitched, which is my main concern. I also don't want to purchase an rDNA 40 for $130, only to find out that VS is releasing an upgraded version, or a whole new mod for a few dollars more.
P.s. I have the flask clone, so I'm not interested in any other flask-type mods.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Well, i suppose if you approach it with the understanding that you may possibly have to deal with the screen glitch, and the band-aid that has been applied to allow the screen to auto-refresh/reset after each firing, then you should be happy with the purchase.

Keep in mind the screen glitch (even pre the refresh fix) doesn't effect the actual regulation/performance of the mod, it still vapes normally. It may be worth the time to shoot VS an email and clarify their warranty policy regarding the screen glitch on their mods that do actually come with a warranty.

Also there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which mods/chip versions exhibit the behavior.

There are a lot of interesting things/moves going on right now in the mod market, so if you're not in a major rush you may want to sit back and see what the next month or so holds, after all the VS discounts are permanent so the deal should always be there, if you decide to go that direction.

Reactions: GrandSam

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
Well, i suppose if you approach it with the understanding that you may possibly have to deal with the screen glitch, and the band-aid that has been applied to allow the screen to auto-refresh/reset after each firing, then you should be happy with the purchase.

Keep in mind the screen glitch (even pre the refresh fix) doesn't effect the actual regulation/performance of the mod, it still vapes normally. It may be worth the time to shoot VS an email and clarify their warranty policy regarding the screen glitch on their mods that do actually come with a warranty.

Also there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which mods/chip versions exhibit the behavior.

There are a lot of interesting things/moves going on right now in the mod market, so if you're not in a major rush you may want to sit back and see what the next month or so holds, after all the VS discounts are permanent so the deal should always be there, if you decide to go that direction.

Great advice, thank you. The only problem is I find issue in supporting a company that deliberately sells defective items. I may just have to stand-by for now. Bummer, I've always wanted a VS style mod.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
The price may drop further during "Shark week" at the beginning of July , thats when they are discounted heaviest. If you have not read the review of the rDNA 40 VS i would read it . "Vaping Cheap" reviewer Nicole Lee did a great write up on it .

I always thought the mod was grossly overpriced and after breaking it down she seems to agree.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
i think i got mine at ~150$ on cybermonday and thought it was overpriced. the 130$ is a steal now imo. Although the whole 'screen glitch' I never experienced so I might be bias on that aspect. From my point of view I paid $150 for a decent working mod that I still vape on a daily basis. I'll probably pick up another one during 'shark week' if they indeed discount the ~130$ further, but I wouldn't think twice about buying one at $130 now if I didnt have the one I do already.

Reactions: Shigura

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
i think i got mine at ~150$ on cybermonday and thought it was overpriced. the 130$ is a steal now imo. Although the whole 'screen glitch' I never experienced so I might be bias on that aspect. From my point of view I paid $150 for a decent working mod that I still vape on a daily basis. I'll probably pick up another one during 'shark week' if they indeed discount the ~130$ further, but I wouldn't think twice about buying one at $130 now if I didnt have the one I do already.

Shark week would certainly seal the deal. Around when does shark week take place? Has it already been announced?

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Shark week would certainly seal the deal. Around when does shark week take place? Has it already been announced?

during shark week, there literally is something called 'shark week', its not just a vaporshark thing.

1. We hope you enjoy Shark Week as much as us! When is Shark Week? Shark Week 2015 begins on Sunday July 5th, 2015! Join us in a celebratory countdown for Shark Week 2015 (Sunday July 5th)!
sharkweekcountdown.com/

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
during shark week, there literally is something called 'shark week', its not just a vaporshark thing.

1. We hope you enjoy Shark Week as much as us! When is Shark Week? Shark Week 2015 begins on Sunday July 5th, 2015! Join us in a celebratory countdown for Shark Week 2015 (Sunday July 5th)!
sharkweekcountdown.com/

Oh trust me I, I know about shark week. But I'm wondering if VS runs there shark week special starting the first week of July. If so, is it consistent (have they done it every year)?

NathanielFT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
I'd go for the SX Mini M Class over the VS, better built, better chip, more features, 1 year warranty rather then a measly 4 months, suppose you get an issue after 5 weeks, would you be satisfied you had your money's worth?

Failing that i'd wait for the VT40 by hcigar, because it's stunning, has the latest DNA40 chip (v5) and also comes with a 1 year warranty

Reactions: Heavyrocker

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
I'd go for the SX Mini M Class over the VS, better built, better chip, more features, 1 year warranty rather then a measly 4 months, suppose you get an issue after 5 weeks, would you be satisfied you had your money's worth?

I've had the pleasure of fiddling with an SX Mini M class. Wonderful devise. Probably the best I've tried. The only problem is it is way above my budget. Initially, my budget for a new mod was $100...but I stretched it for the rDNA. I may just wait for the M class clone to come out.

Failing that i'd wait for the VT40 by hcigar, because it's stunning, has the latest DNA40 chip (v5) and also comes with a 1 year warranty

Like the M class, the VT40 is a bit out of my price range. I suppose it may be worth waiting for. I'll wait to see what the reviews look like.

What do those who own the rDNA40 think of it?

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
Congrats! I bought one two weeks ago and it's been glued to my hand ever since. :)

Thats good to hear :D. I spoke with the CS rep who mentioned that if a board issue does occur, it will be fixed whether it is in or out of its warranty period. Hopefully I didn't misunderstand. Either way, I can't wait to get it. Here's to hoping it doesn't take a week to ship!

Reactions: caferacer

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
Thats good to hear :D. I spoke with the CS rep who mentioned that if a board issue does occur, it will be fixed whether it is in or out of its warranty period. Hopefully I didn't misunderstand. Either way, I can't wait to get it. Here's to hoping it doesn't take a week to ship!

In my experience, VS is really fast with their shipping. I ordered on a Tuesday night and it arrived at my door in SoCal two days later.

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
In my experience, VS is really fast with their shipping. I ordered on a Tuesday night and it arrived at my door in SoCal two days later.

That's perfect. I live in California, so hopefully it takes just as long. Either way, can't wait to get it :thumbs:

Reactions: caferacer

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
That's perfect. I live in California, so hopefully it takes just as long. Either way, can't wait to get it :thumbs:

All of my orders (5+) from VS have come from Florida to California in two days. They are pretty consistent in that regard. My rDNA40 has been rock solid and bullet proof (purchased on Cyber Monday).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread