reported deaths due to nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
quick note to the moderators,please move to appropriate forum if necessary.
hi all,
i remember back not to long ago there had been a reported death of a child due to ingesting e-juice. this saddened me very much. today i did some googling.
apparently there may have been three death's. i found the original story from Israel concerning a 2 year old girl link below.
http://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/Toddler-who-ingested-liquid-nicotine-passes-away-314683

i found follow ups of the story on many e-cig related sites such as this.
Toddler Dies after Drinking E-Juice - Vape Squad

apparently a small boy in Wales here.
Child dies after drinking nicotine liquid

another noted here but,no location or names given.
Local Kids Are Dying From Ingesting Electronic Cigarette Juice - Bubblews

so there is 2 and possibly 3 children who's death was caused by e-juice. my problem is i can't find any follow up stories other than my first link. any other mentions of these deaths are from e-cig related sites referring to the original story. no autopsy,or toxicology reports.no memorials or obits.nothing. i am not an expert on the googling, so what am i doing wrong. can any one confirm these reports? i can't seem to find any conformation. does any one know of any follow up stories?
regards
mike

xxJollyRogerxx

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Cayman Islands
Yanno I dunno about this stuff; simple fear mongering or more to the point; something to write about to make people read their news ... There are more kids that have died from eating dishwasher tablets then ejuice which simply means you need to watch out for your kids regardless .... period. if you don't watch your kids bad things will happen to them. One of those articles said the kid ate the tablet but the parents were to drunk to do anything about it ... sad.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Your 2 links to Israel child are True but weak in reporting. A 3rd report goes into more detail and the Grandfather was the User that was at fault.(product in his room)
No clarification as to if it was e-liquid(flavored/diluted) or Nicotine liquid(high strength) Both are Dangerous and need to be properly stored.

Second Story seems to be a Blog post with no other verification.

3rd Story is a simple Mass Hysteria Posting much like the NYT likes to run.

Here is something related and worth reading:
A case of nicotine poisoning from e-liquid (?)

Also keep in mind - The Nicotine Injection Suicide was NOT E-liquid It was from a medical prescription.

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
Although I am sad "IF" these deaths really happened but basically they were not from ingesting e-liquid.

They died from poor parenting. Similar to leaving your child in your car on a hot day.

That is my opinion.

It's just like when someone dies from a gun shot wound. It wasn't the gun that killed the person. It was the person holding the gun that killed that person.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I doubt that most of these stories are completely untrue propaganda - if they were there would be a lot more than 3 reported deaths worldwide.

That last one however... PURE propaganda, at it's finest :grr:

Some cases like this may be faulty parenting, other people may be truly ignorant of the risks.

I have personally had to tell someone to move her e-liquid out of reach of her young child, she was very new to vaping and genuinely didn't realize it was hazardous. There was a warning label on the bottle, but it was at the bottom of the back of the label in very tiny print that matched everything else written on the bottle, and she never would have known it was there if I hadn't pointed it out to her since she doesn't wear her reading glasses all the time.

I do think there should be some regulation of warning labels, at least to make sure they are clearly visible. If I sold e-liquid I would have a skull and crossbones on each bottle in addition to the warning, to make sure it is seen.

At the same time, however, stories like this are getting blown out of proportion, mainly because the public and ANTZ are going to latch on to every potential safety hazard they can find and blow it out of proportion to support their beliefs. As such, I expect to see more stories like this popping up...

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I'm having a hard time verifying any of these stories.
thats what concerns me. no follow up interviews with parents,siblings,relatives,friends or acquaintances. nothing. i would assume if there was any truth to these stories the ANTZ would be beating our heads into the ground with it. i can see as someone suggested keeping a child's name out of the story but. not autopsy and toxicology reports. these are public records. i asked here because i didn't want to go off half cocked. now my opinion is these stories are bogus,until i am proven wrong.
regards
mike

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
The one from Wales is a fake - as stated by the author: "The story above is of course entirely fictitious but let’s hope that it isn’t prescient, there’s a real danger that, tragically, it may prove to be so."

Gavin Dychmygol, the 'boy' - his last name is "Imaginary" in English.
thanks Kent.
mike

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Funny how the news doesn't match reality.

poison2.jpg

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
There was a poster here who was diligently monitoring the Israel situation, and constantly searching for further verification.
As far as I know that person never did find any information other than what you have already found.

I wish I could remember which poster that was.
But they'll probably stumble in here eventually and fill you in.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Not saying this didn't happen but there are a few discrepancies in the stories - not uncommon either. 'Parents not home, at the grandfathers' in one, 'parents were home' in another. 'Only child' in one, 'another younger daughter' in another. And... "Then she was taken in critical condition, anesthetized and on a respirator, to Hadassah Hospital Mount Scopus."

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Not saying this didn't happen but there are a few discrepancies in the stories - not uncommon either. 'Parents not home, at the grandfathers' in one, 'parents were home' in another. 'Only child' in one, 'another younger daughter' in another. And... "Then she was taken in critical condition, anesthetized and on a respirator, to Hadassah Hospital Mount Scopus."

I'm saying it didn't happen. Otherwise, the story would have created a media explosion.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I'm saying it didn't happen. Otherwise, the story would have created a media explosion.

Actually, I think it did help create a media explosion. As I've stated elsewhere, and this is just following the news on ecigs, but there was a time when the media was a bit more balanced. All the major news media did produce many 'bad' reports but in their articles there were some positives - to appear balanced to the low information crowd, most likely and they were still able to get their scare points out. But then the 'poisoning' issue arose (and this story was one of them, along with some ANTZ studies) and there were no such 'positive' lines in any of the major media and even other sources weren't as positive. This lasted until about 2 or 3 weeks ago? after the Euro/UK news from ASH and others. Since then, it seems to have turned back more like before the poison period. If you just look at the posts during that 'poison period' here, many were depressed as to how much effect it was having. That may have been a bit before you got more active posting here, but I'm pretty sure many regulars will know of what I speak.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Yes, it was I, and yes, I've been monitoring the Israeli issue, though not as often lately, and to date I stand by my original premise: that this story as initially reported was not proven to be a case of nicotine poisoning, and any followup has been in the form of unofficial rumormongering and guessing, since no official followup has been issued by Israeli authorities that I've been able to find.

And yet. And yet, I've seen several "experts" (of the ANTZ variety) refer to this case as a "death by nicotine," (and worse, a "child's death by nicotine) as if it were established fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread