So... What does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

champions

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
Midwest
Sorry if this has been talked to death... I found a couple threads but they are HUNDREDS off pages long.

I haven't been on this site in a very long time. I quit DIYing years ago and have been content with gas station juice and ego like batteries for about 4 years.

I finally bought a mod today that I saw at a store around here because I was getting annoyed with the battery life on the 650. I get it home and go on here to look it up (had to do a password reset ~ it's been that long), and find all this talk about an FDA ban coming next week. I Google this and it looks like companies just need to"apply" for some sort of license or something. Then I look here and people are talking about vaping being illegal and hoarding nicotine and juice. I honestly hadn't heard about any of this.

So what's the real story?

In two weeks will I be able to order from FSUSA, Backwoods? Will I be able to buy a new coil when mine is dead? If I run out of juice will I still be able to go up to the gas station and get 10ml for $6? Will it be illegal to vape on the street, in my home, in my car? Or will I end up having to go back to analogs?

I really never heard anything about this. Lol. I feel so uninformed.

Thanks

Reactions: bnrkwest

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
See you are from the Midwest. Not Indiana I hope. If so you won't be able to order juice from out of state. Only 6 juice makers in IN have been licensed to operate in the State.

Apart from State regs, which are spreading rapidly, there is the new FDA regs (referred to as Deeming). Right now it appears that Deeming will probably outlaw pretty much all vaping equipment except for non-refillable cigalikes. No more bottled juice or refillable tanks. Nothing that wasn't on sale before 2007, and nothing on sale before that date is still on the market. And if Deeming doesn't finish vaping off, State laws like the one in Indiana will take care of it.

Some parts of Deeming will happen in a couple of weeks. The rest will roll in over the next 2 or 3 years. Some of the State rules have already come into effect. Taxes are starting to come in.

Or maybe not. It's complicated and nobody knows for sure. There are lawsuits going on to try to stop it. There are bills in Congress to change it.

There's reason those threads are hundreds of pages long. There's a lot we still don't understand. Nobody is going to be able to give you anything close to the whole picture in one post. You might try looking at one of the long threads, skip through the general chitchat and start getting an understanding of what's going on.

Good luck

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Nobody is going to be able to give you anything close to the whole picture in one post.
The FDA deeming regulations declare that electronic cigarettes are now tobacco products.
The regulations go into effect on August 8th of 2016.

As they stand, only products that were on the market prior to the "grandfather date" are approved.
The grandfather date is February 2007 and there wasn't anything that matters.
So nothing is approved.

Manufacturers have two years to submit a PMTA for approval of a given product.
They can continue to sell existing products in that two year window, or so they say anyway.

If a PMTA submission is not approved that product must be removed from the market.

The cost for submitting a PMTA is astronomical.
And the rules for getting approved are pretty darn near impossible.
So all products on the market will be removed in two years or less, depending.

Everything is a tobacco product.
Batteries, atomizers, zero nicotine liquid, the air you breathe.
EVERYTHING.

After August 8th no NEW products can be introduced without approval.
EVERY single tiny change you can think of is a new product.
So there will be no changes after August 8th.
NONE.

A vape shop can no longer mix liquid, or rebuild coils, or they become a manufacturer.
You can't even change the ink on the label of a bottle of juice.
EVERYTHING would be considered a change.
EVERYTHING.

There are lawsuits challenging a whole array of things.
There are bills in Congress to change the grandfather date to something reasonable.

There is two years, or less, for something to change.
Many are suggesting that two years is wishful thinking though.

There is no way I could even begin to get into what various states may do.
Or what some of them are already doing.
That stuff is likely to happen more quickly, and cause much pain.

That's my attempt to sum it up in one post.
I was bored, and I still have 20 minutes before I leave to pick up dinner.
:)

champions

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
Midwest
Thank you guys. Interesting stuff. So, to summarize when my battery is dead I won't be able to get another unless it is 9 years old? When I run out of juice I can get existing flavours only as long as the recipe and packaging don't change? And that's only for two more years. After that to cover the cost of the "permit" costs will likely be out of reach for the everyday vaper?

So how about the actual act of vaping? Someone in another thread said that too would be illegal.. Hyperbole?

Nick

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Thank you guys. Interesting stuff. So, to summarize when my battery is dead I won't be able to get another unless it is 9 years old? When I run out of juice I can get existing flavours only as long as the recipe and packaging don't change? And that's only for two more years. After that to cover the cost of the "permit" costs will likely be out of reach for the everyday vaper?

So how about the actual act of vaping? Someone in another thread said that too would be illegal.. Hyperbole?

Nick

The manufacturers are the ones who will have to pay for the permits. I've seen cost estimates of $300,000 per product, plus something like 1500 manpower hours just to fill out all of the paperwork and do the testing that is required for the permit. Manufacturers are expected to do this for each of their products. If the same juice comes in four levels of nicotine with three different ratios of VG and PG, each variation will be considered a separate product, so you can see how ridiculous this is. It's pretty much going to decimate the entire industry.

You might want to consider getting into DIY again, buy some new mods with replacable batteries and start learning how to build your own coils so you can continue vaping! Everyone seems to agree that the most important thing for you to buy first is several liters of 100 mg. unflavored nicotine in either VG or PG, because we believe the FDA will crack down on the nic first.

You can read all about how to prep for what many here call the vapocalypse by reading the thread below.

On stockpiling after FDA deeming regulations

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015

Nick

That's what some people think could happen, but no one really knows for sure. The best thing to do is pray for the best, and prepare for the worst.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Vaping itself won't be illegal. Purchasing unapproved products will be(in two years). Depending on what your local government does, vaping in public could be.

The big takeaway is, things will likely start getting very bad, probably very quickly.

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
I followed the FDA regs constantly, made calls, signed petitions, wrote letters, etc. Then in one fail swoop my state shut us down (PA) My advice, get prepared! Never stop fighting! But at the same time prepare for the worst. Take it from a member of a state that knows, it happens fast. Everything is okay...until it's not.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
It is a shock I know. But basically stock up right now on nic, regulated mods and a few mech mods and rebuildable tanks. Provari's in special section only $35 they last a long time and if looking for a long lasting mech check classies for a Reo. That will give you a fast head start and get some flavors you like.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Sorry if this has been talked to death... I found a couple threads but they are HUNDREDS off pages long.

I haven't been on this site in a very long time. I quit DIYing years ago and have been content with gas station juice and ego like batteries for about 4 years.

I finally bought a mod today that I saw at a store around here because I was getting annoyed with the battery life on the 650. I get it home and go on here to look it up (had to do a password reset ~ it's been that long), and find all this talk about an FDA ban coming next week. I Google this and it looks like companies just need to"apply" for some sort of license or something. Then I look here and people are talking about vaping being illegal and hoarding nicotine and juice. I honestly hadn't heard about any of this.

So what's the real story?

In two weeks will I be able to order from FSUSA, Backwoods? Will I be able to buy a new coil when mine is dead? If I run out of juice will I still be able to go up to the gas station and get 10ml for $6? Will it be illegal to vape on the street, in my home, in my car? Or will I end up having to go back to analogs?

I really never heard anything about this. Lol. I feel so uninformed.

Thanks
Dropbox - VTA Guidance - Deeming Compliance Calendar - FINAL.pdf

Rt1Rebel

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Severna Park MD
Champion,

I'm a little confused too, but I posted this on another thread and it was well liked and it's what I've been doing.

I'm by no means an expert on whatever the hell is going on here, but these are my take aways:

Buy now:
Nic base
Mods that take stand alone batteries
Tanks with coils that can be rebuilt, and the unique parts for those tanks and coil units

Can be bought later, and possibly indefinitely:
Batteries/chargers
Flavoring
PG/VG
Gaskets
Cotton and kanthal

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I just spent 200. 4 new mods. 2 new tanks. 1 rda. 125mls of nic and a few flavors the nic should give me 125 30ml bottles of juice.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
Get as much Nic as you need to vape as long as you want to. That is the area we don't know how long it will be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread