Tank confiscation in airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
It's been so long since TSA was formed that they should have the process down and streamlined. Flying before 9/11 was enjoyable. After, it was a hassle.

I used to fly fairly frequently back and forth between Atlanta and Dulles. TSA never really gave me much of a hassle, but they were highly suspicious of my company supplied Dell Laptop. They X-rayed it and my LT bag separately each time. I wasn't vaping then, but I learned that liquids had to be in factory labelled bottles and colors had to match the label. When I tried filling travel bottles and labelling them myself, they would confiscate them. Go figure ... Listerine is easy to smell test and shampoo is a thick liquid with a soapy smell.

The last place I flew into and out of was Las Vegas. That was a nice and relaxed but lengthy flight without a smoke. Back then, they allowed ecigs, but I was just before discovering them.

Either you are every unlucky or I have the best of luck to go through any check point. I have never had any problems with my liquids when traveling to Canada or the US other than having the bag swabbed if I forgot to take it out of my luggage (once) and most of my bottles are standard unlabelled travel bottles. Last time, the X-ray tech had a quick look at my liquids bag, unidentified 10mL e-juice bottles right in his face, and he put it down as fast as he grabbed it.

My company laptop always gets swabbed when I travel within Canada (except once) or from Canada to the US, but seems to be generally ignored when I go through international US checkpoints and I always make sure it's in a bin of its own for X-ray. I can tell it wasn't that way last year from observing other people, though...

BTW, time through checkpoints can vary greatly during vacation months, but I can't complain this year so far aside immigration checkpoints.

Last edited:

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I had something similar happen at a Braves game once. At first they were trying to make me throw out my entire mod (don't remember what it was but based on the my vaping timeline it was probably a $100+ metal tube), but I made them get management. Eventually they made me empty my carto tank... but didn't consider that I had a full 30ml bottle in my pocket. Happily vaped by the Smoking Area several times after that with no problems.

The obvious solution is to make sure all tanks are empty before approaching any security checkpoints anywhere.

Do they make people with packs of cigarettes dump them out?

Travy

Oct 12, 2014
Tucson Az
Ill tell you a story, This is true no ..... Back in 2004 as My unit and I were at the airport getting ready to deploy to Iraq, well we had to go through the metal detectors. Man I saw they were lining up a nice selection of lighters.

Well as my Turn came I turned to the person behind me and Handed my m-16 to him then stepped through. Yep I beeped they found me out, my lighters gave me away. So i had to fork over my two lighters i had step through again, Finally they were satisfied so I then got my m-16 handed back to me and proceeded to head out to the plane.
Yep even thought they took my lighter. I might blow something up you know, then they allowed us on with a big metal club, well ok fiberglass with a nice buttplate useful for striking your enemies body.

Now the next time I deployed I was a tad smarter I brought about 15 matchbooks , Yep people were still getting their lighters confiscated The airlines were safe from a bunch of soldiers Headed to the desert :) I just Love the TSA Call them a glorified security Guard I dare you, really I do its fun they get so so mad. Yeah its a bit of an problem sometimes but oh so fun..

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
I brought about 15 matchbooks

Wow. 15 matchbooks, if lit at the same time, could do a LOT of damage. That'd be a pretty big flame, and a lot of sulphur (that's in matchheads, right?) in the air.

One time I brought my entire Djeep lighter collection (about 50 collector's edition Djeeps) in my carry-on, they gave me no hassle.

Travy

Oct 12, 2014
Tucson Az
I know right considering that they would not find them unless they gave me a full on patdown. But I can say when we landed at shannon ireland I was one of the popular people at the smoke area for all the people that did not think ahead, Of course one day Ill have to tell you about the person that went outside in jfk to smoke while we had our weapons on the plane we had to take out the bolts.. Guess what he did with them. I thought security was going to shoot his ...

shortdraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2014
Kodiak
I'll be flying from Kodiak, AK to Anchorage, AK to SeaTac to MSP this week with a itaste SVD, two iclear 30's, and three 15ml bottles of liquid. I'll be vaping in the airports if allowed, I plan to ask if allowed at each one. I will report my findings. Interesting to hear what each one's official stance is on the subject.

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
Do bottles of e liquids in the liquids bag have to be labeled retail ejuice mfr products, or can they be plain blank diy dripper bottles ?
And what about glass eyedropper bottles such as 15, 30, 60 and even larger 120 ml cobalt or amber boston rounds ? Home made hand written labels ?

Also is there a limit as to how many bottless of e liquid a person is allowed to carry in their liquids bag ?

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
I never saw a requisite to label bottles in Canada or the U.S. as far as I can tell (no one ever said a word about my standard non-labeled shampoo bottles in 6 years). Some states do have specific legislation about e-cigs and nicotine content (although these change almost daily nowadays), so it's best to check before hand and get some 0 nic labels if you feel it is necessary. I somewhat doubt TSA will really dig that deep as they're mostly concerned about airplane safety.

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
I just flew from Canada to South Carolina and neither customs even batted an eye at my stuff. had a 50ml and a 15ml juice. MVP2 and an Double barrel Ego. Had a spare Kayfun, Screw driver, wick and wire. Had both vaporizers in my coat pocket and juice and assessories in my carryon. I figured they would ask me about it but never even really batted an eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread