Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have typed citric acid in the search thread and cant find how to mix it and I did see 3-4 drops per 5 ML ? and also ...sounds this sound right ?

Citric Acid, 4 oz.
by Barry Farm
34 customer reviews
Price: $5.50 & FREE Shipping
In stock.
Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
Ships from and sold by The Dafna General Store.

Estimated Delivery Date: April 24 - 29 when you choose Expedited at checkout.

4 ounce bag
For use in candy or bread making
Save money with combined shipping by ordering several items from Barry Farm.

Is this the stuff I am suppose to buy?

I am also ordering some BIG glass bottles .. either cobalt or amber from amazon.. 120 ML to store my made juice since I have read the plastic bottles I am using might bleed through.. is Amazon the best ?

On ANOTHER note .. I dont know if many knew I bought the wrong cotton candy.. I purchased the right one have re made some juices ... huge differance as you would have guessed :) Thank you guys for any help ..

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Ok, I have typed citric acid in the search thread and cant find how to mix it and I did see 3-4 drops per 5 ML ? and also ...sounds this sound right ?

Citric Acid, 4 oz.
by Barry Farm
34 customer reviews
In stock.

4 ounce bag

I am also ordering some BIG glass bottles .. either cobalt or amber from amazon.. 120 ML to store my made juice since I have read the plastic bottles I am using might bleed through.. is Amazon the best ?

On ANOTHER note .. I dont know if many knew I bought the wrong cotton candy.. I purchased the right one have re made some juices ... huge differance as you would have guessed :) Thank you guys for any help ..

For mixing the citric acid, use a scant 1/4-tsp in 10ml of PG -- it may take some time to fully dissolve, as ethyl maltol does -- just keep shaking it daily till it's all dissolved. For how much to use, of that solution, I think Bill said 1% of the final mix. Always best to use percents, so the amount can be properly scaled. Make sure that whatever citric acid you buy is 100% citric acid, nothing else added -- you can get away with additives with cooking, but not with vaping.

I thought Amazon was a great source for bottles, but Exchaner posted this link this morning, and it's a much better price, even with having to buy the caps yourself -- still cheaper than Amazon! http://packagingoptionsdirect.com/1-oz-amber-glass-boston-round-bottle

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Well... I wouldn't call my newest iteration of the flamingo fantastique an unqualified success, but it's interesting. I got some Inawera e-aromat Peach, and I used a combination of that and the TFA Juicy Peach, but the INW is a MUCH stronger flavor, and really overtakes the whole thing, so that needs to be pulled back a little. It's got that strong sort of musky note of peaches that are just a little too ripe, but it leaves a really nice aftertaste. Obviously i need to boost the DX banana cream just a bit, because really I barely taste it at all, but I think the others I'll leave as they are, but pull the peach way back so it's not dominating the whole mix. So I think some progress has been made, at least in knowing where to go next.

I was also considering that, along with the vanilla swirl, that whipped cream might be a better choice than bavarian. But I'll need to analyze it pretty carefully, with all these changes, because it's already really high in flavoring.

Onward! :thumb:

Andria

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA

Citric Acid, 4 oz.
by Barry Farm
34 customer reviews
In stock.

4 ounce bag

A little goes a long way. I mix up a 10% solution (by weight) in PG and use 2-4 drops per 10 mls, or so. Drops, can convert to percentages, of course. It's a fraction of 1% to 1% of a 10% solution of citric acid. So, I might add 3 drops to a 300 drop mix of the 10% solution. So, not very much. Don't need very much. If you can taste it, you've added too much.
Regarding glass, I only occasionally use plastic for small samplers, and never store juice in anything but glass. I use bottles and re-agent bottles. The wide mouth bottles, or beakers are useful for aeration after a mix, and the re-agent bottles are perfect for this purpose. Mix, aerate, seal, shake, vape. Works pretty good for me. I also store my ADV's in the reagent bottles as I usually make batches of 500 mils, or so. My vaping cabinet is full of juices in 30 mil bottles. My backup mixes are stored in 120 mil bottles, and my bases are all stored in reagent bottles. What can I say, I love glassware!

20140710_121243.jpg 20141028_040553.jpg 20140710_121232.jpg 20140906_025010.jpg
Good luck! :toast: :D

:2cool: :vapor:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason Duvall

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
Actually Amazon has some pretty good deals on 60 / 120 ml dropper bottles!

As far as Blue vs. Amber:

It depends on the compounds your are storing and what spectrum of light what is being stored is sensitive to.

It will post some more specifics relative to vaping in my forthcoming blog regarding the Blue vs Amber.

Nic will generally store better in Blue if it cannot be kept in a dark location, but only just slightly better than amber.

E-liquid mixtures; generally amber will work best as you have a mixture of components with different sensitivities.

Opaque bottles are the very best, but obviously you cannot see into them! :laugh:

:toast:

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
I've been trying to work with some of the less common fruits that TPA produces. I have found that Boysenberry is a extremely powerful flavor. When making a fruit vape, I limit Boysenberry to 5% of the mix.

My current mix(all TFA):
Boysenberry Dream

BoysenBerry 5 %
Sweetener 3 %
Sweet Cream 5 %
Bavarian Cream 3 %
Vanilla Swirl 2 %
Vanilla CupCake 2 %

Im gonna have to give this a try now.. Dont have Bavarian Cream or the Cupcake but I can use Bill's starburst base I think. I really really wanted a Boysenberry juice but gave up on it much like the Blue Raspberry as its VERY touchy to work with. Still have a whole 8ml bottle though. Ive gone up to 6% but I havent tried it with sweeteners yet, just back when I was trying single fruit flavors and it was very hit or miss. I think even TFA says DONT go over 6% with it haha. The Blue Raspberry is very fickle like that too. 12% is it, and it still doesnt taste quite right. Go to 13% and youll be wishing you never made that mix haha.

Reactions: Dixie1954

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Actually Amazon has some pretty good deals on 60 / 120 ml dropper bottles!

As far as Blue vs. Amber:

It depends on the compounds your are storing and what spectrum of light what is being stored is sensitive to.

It will post some more specifics relative to vaping in my forthcoming blog regarding the Blue vs Amber.

Nic will generally store better in Blue if it cannot be kept in a dark location, but only just slightly better than amber.

E-liquid mixtures; generally amber will work best as you have a mixture of components with different sensitivities.

Opaque bottles are the very best, but obviously you cannot see into them! :laugh:

:toast:

My only problem(s) with the blue bottles are 1) they usually cost more; 2) they can be a lot harder to see the level of the contents if there's any kind of label (it blocks the light from the other side); and 3) I'm prone to becoming positively hynotized by cobalt glass, it has almost a drugging effect on my senses. I even collect it on a shelf in front of my kitchen window, so it can catch the light at different times of the day. It's unearthly stuff, to me, but because of that, not very practical for me to actually *use* -- too distracting! :D

Andria

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I can't believe the timing.....

My flat of TFA flavorings arrived WEDNESDAY, and I had to wait until TODAY to share my joyous news!!!!!!

If I didn't have so much "work" work to do this weekend, I'd disappear into my vape cave and make coils and mix juice all weekend long!!!!

I now have NO reason not to be able to make *something* tasty :D (Although, what's the song: "57 channels and nothin' on" - I hope I never say: "140 flavors and nothin' to make")

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
Well now that ECF will allow files on the site I have ziped up many of the recipes posted here to help out!

They are all in Note Pad format.

Please add to the file* and update as you all see fit!

Cheers! :toast:

* For subsequent additions to the file I suggest calling the first revision Juices_1.zip, the second Juices_2.zip , etc.....

Attachments

• JUICES.ZIP
    16.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
$300 startup cost ?!? I must be doing something wrong here.....

Aiming for 25/75 to 20/80 PG/VG, 12mg nicotine. Any higher amounts of PG sets my sinus allergies haywire (part of why I am interested in DIY in the first place). Since I am just getting started, and do not have anything remotely similar to a Lab, I thought I'd just get the 48mg VG Nicotine solution. 25% of that would put me at 12mg nic, 50% VG would make 75% of solution, add Flavors and PG (as needed) for remaining 25%.
1 - 500ml 48nic in VG
2 - 500ml VG
75 - 8ml of various flavors I've selected (600ml of TFA PG-based flavors)
1 - 125ml PG (to add to lower flavor rate mixtures)
10 - 30ml plastic bottles (5 for use, 5 for steeping)
10 - 10ml plastic bottles, for testing and experimenting.
1 - 20ml syringe
2 - 10ml syringes
3- 14g luer lock needles
5 - 3ml syringes
5- 16g luer lock needles
100 - disposable 1ml pipettes.
1 - 10ml graduated cylinder
1 - 50ml graduated cylinder.

Everything listed is priced through Wizard Labs. I haven't gotten the calculator out (yet) but just figuring in my head that's $275 or more.
Sooo... what am I doing wrong here ?

Last edited:

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
Well now that ECF will allow files on the site I have ziped up many of the recipes posted here to help out!

They are all in Note Pad format.

Please add to the file* and update as you all see fit!

Cheers! :toast:

* For subsequent additions to the file I suggest calling the first revision Juices_1.zip, the second Juices_2.zip , etc.....
Nice! Thanks for sharing!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

Aiming for 25/75 to 20/80 PG/VG, 12mg nicotine. Any higher amounts of PG sets my sinus allergies haywire (part of why I am interested in DIY in the first place). Since I am just getting started, and do not have anything remotely similar to a Lab, I thought I'd just get the 48mg VG Nicotine solution. 25% of that would put me at 12mg nic, 50% VG would make 75% of solution, add Flavors and PG (as needed) for remaining 25%.
1 - 500ml 48nic in VG
2 - 500ml VG
1 - 20ml syringe
2 - 10ml syringes
3- 14g luer lock needles
5 - 3ml syringes
5- 16g luer lock needles

Everything listed is priced through Wizard Labs. I haven't gotten the calculator out (yet) but just figuring in my head that's $275 or more.

Well, wizlabs isn't a good place to get PG/VG -- 500ml for $9.49? Jeesh! 500ml is about 16oz -- I get 16oz bottles of Pg and VG from Amazon, for $3.95. I also get all my syringes from amazon; best prices -- though I did get some 1ml syringes from wizlabs because I couldn't find them on Amazon. And buying 48mg nicotine is a big money waster too -- buy 100mg or you're just paying top dollar for someone else's PG/VG. The prices on the plastic bottles is also probably much too high -- all bottles, plastic or glass, are much cheaper when bought from a vendor that isn't affiliated with vaping in any way -- Amazon is where I get my glass bottles, though I plan on using that link that exchaner provided, when I buy more.

Andria

Alamedean

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
Alameda, CA

1 - 500ml 48nic in VG
2 - 500ml VG
1 - 20ml syringe
2 - 10ml syringes
3- 14g luer lock needles
5 - 3ml syringes
5- 16g luer lock needles

I can't recommend Wizard Lab for their PG & VG just based on their shipping prices alone. I choose MFS for those items. (free shipping over $75)
75 various flavors IMHO is way over kill. That would take me a long time to sample. I would cut that back drastically.
Pipettes are worthless, stick with the syringes.
10ml graduated cylinder and 10ml syringes? Choose one and if you are doing small batches, I'd go for the syringe. If you are pulling VG into syringes, get the biggest luer lock needle they have cuz of its viscosity and they work well with your PG too.
Maybe get a box of disposable gloves (Walgreens etc) for handling the nic.

Keep it simple and grow with it over time. No rush to spend a lot when just starting out. :pop:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Actually wizlabs includes a pair of nitrile gloves when you order nicotine.

I agree about the graduated cylinder; I got a 50ml cylinder when I started, but I've rarely used it; mostly I just mix right in the bottle, using syringes to measure. I disliked the waste of whatever ejuice "sticks" to the cylinder, since even high-PG has a higher viscosity than water, and with high-VG, that's even more true. After you pour from the cylinder and set it back down, in a few minutes you'll see anywhere from a ml to half a ml collect at the bottom, as it runs back down the sides that it stuck to.

I also agree about the pipettes. Wizlabs sent me one as a freebie with one of my orders, and that thing is totally useless. Glass droppers are more useful than that, and if you need to measure, then syringes. No, they're not "precision" measures, they're much too cheap for that, but they're pretty close. Hobby Lobby has glass droppers with pointy ends that will fit a 60ml bottle; 4/pk, I think for around $3-ish.

Andria

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Bill, et al, need some help. I mixed up some of Bill's Lemon Meringue Pie a week about a week ago. I didn't have straight Lemon, but Lemon/Lime. It's 9mg, max VG (only flavorings are PG). Per some threads above, I think I understand why it's cloudy (I dropped my nic in first - VG based, and then my flavorings and then topped with VG), but the flavor is "weird" and it's turned a dark orange in color. It's in a cobalt blue bottle and stored out of direct sunlight.

I just loaded a Nautilus with the new BVC coil (larger wicking holes). Shook my bottle pretty well before loading the tank. First couple of hits were great - awesome lemon flavor (just like biting into a piece of pie), but now, I get no sense of lemon. It's a flat, almost "dirty" taste. Running a 1.6ohm coil at about 12-12.5W. Same thing happened when I first tried it shortly after mixing.

I've tried some other lemon/lime flavors before (one was a lemon/lime "soda" recipe), and I got the same sensation - bright lemon on the first couple hits, and then nuthin.

I don't have any citric acid - is this what might be attributing to the "flavor fade"?

TIA

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Thanks for your input, Andria and Dean. So I can pretty much kick the Cylinders and Pipettes off of my list. I could also cut my flavor list to maybe 40. I enjoy flavored tobaccos and Bakery/ Sweets, and have already been hunting recipes for such e-liquids (like half a legal pad worth).
Now, I DO NOT shop Amazon, EBay or any other online "Marketplaces". The only online shopping I do is Vendor/ Product specific. So far, all I've gotten form Amazon is three surveys and syringes that cost twice what WZ has offered.
Just curious; when you order from different vendors, won't the Shipping Charges offset what ever savings ? just a thought.....

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Regarding glass, I only occasionally use plastic for small samplers, and never store juice in anything but glass. I use bottles and re-agent bottles. The wide mouth bottles, or beakers are useful for aeration after a mix, and the re-agent bottles are perfect for this purpose. Mix, aerate, seal, shake, vape. Works pretty good for me. I also store my ADV's in the reagent bottles as I usually make batches of 500 mils, or so. My vaping cabinet is full of juices in 30 mil bottles. My backup mixes are stored in 120 mil bottles, and my bases are all stored in reagent bottles. What can I say, I love glassware!

View attachment 427930 View attachment 427931 View attachment 427932 View attachment 427933
Good luck! :toast: :D

:2cool: :vapor:

I love my glassware also. I found tall 50 ml wire top glass bottles in a dollar store along with a assortment of other glass smalls for holding parts, ect, those bottles are great on a mixer. I also bought some small square bottles but the bottom is concaved so the magnetic stirbar flops around, lesson learned in making sure the bottoms are flat. I love my 25 & 50 ml beakers since I only make at most 50 mls at a time of any juice, well 40 mls new + 10 mls of the old juice to speed up steeping a bit.
Its now garage sale time so I'm on the hunt for any sorta glassware that is flat bottomed to mix and store my juices in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread