Status
Not open for further replies.

Sptz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Onedesign1

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
what many folks don't realize with a series mod is that if you vape at low to medium power you're going to get run times similar to a parallel set-up and way more than a single cell set up. You're packing more power, using less of it, and running the board more efficiently because your input Voltage is doubled.

The best way to take a look at this is converting your battery ratings to Watt Hours. Formula is your (mah * input voltage)/1000. So lets take a:

single 2500mah @ 3.7V = 9.25 Watt hours
Dual Parallel 2500mah = 5000mah * 3.7v = 18.5 Watt hours
Dual Series 2500mah = 2500mah * 7.4v = 18.5 Watt hours

You can see dual parallel and series offer the same available watt hours. The difference in run times is going to occur with higher power settings. Setting up in series give the option to run anywhere within the chips capability. For those of you counting Joules to check batteries .... we are getting 48,000 - 50,000 Joules per charge on this series set up running in the 35 -40w range.

Reactions: JimScotty0

Onedesign1

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Size comparisons for the curious:

Size4.jpg
Size2.jpg
size1.jpg

Rob K

Aug 31, 2014
New York
what many folks don't realize with a series mod is that if you vape at low to medium power you're going to get run times similar to a parallel set-up and way more than a single cell set up. You're packing more power, using less of it, and running the board more efficiently because your input Voltage is doubled.

The best way to take a look at this is converting your battery ratings to Watt Hours. Formula is your (mah * input voltage)/1000. So lets take a:

single 2500mah @ 3.7V = 9.25 Watt hours
Dual Parallel 2500mah = 5000mah * 3.7v = 18.5 Watt hours
Dual Series 2500mah = 2500mah * 7.4v = 18.5 Watt hours

You can see dual parallel and series offer the same available watt hours. The difference in run times is going to occur with higher power settings. Setting up in series give the option to run anywhere within the chips capability. For those of you counting Joules to check batteries .... we are getting 48,000 - 50,000 Joules per charge on this series set up running in the 35 -40w range.

Parallel is way to go , for me at least because i never vape over 50wats
Plus with parallel configuration you almost double your battery amp limit so its a safer configuration
2x20amp =40amp , correct me if im wrong

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
Parallel is way to go , for me at least because i never vape over 50wats
Plus with parallel configuration you almost double your battery amp limit so its a safer configuration
2x20amp =40amp , correct me if im wrong

With serial configuration, the battery voltage is doubled, so half the current has to be drawn compared to a parallel configuration. Within the parallel configuration, the batteries split the current as well. So it's basically the same result for the batteries, the difference though is that one can't detect via the chip how many batteries are in parallel, so it assumes only one. There's also other factors that favor serial configurations for high power, such as that the more amps you use, the larger conductors and more heat dissipation you need.

For example, while you assume that the battery amp limit is doubled, this is unlikely true, because the conductors to and from the parallel configuration likely can't support 40 Amps. For that one needs about 12 gauge wire, compared to about 16 gauge wire that can be used for a serial configuration. The chip also would need to be considerably beefed up to handle that level of current, which doesn't make sense from an engineering point of view. Thus, if someone wants to draw 150 Watts from two batteries, to keep the current around 20A means using a serial configuration. That also means that the limit on parallel configuration at 20A will be at 75 Watts.

Reactions: JimScotty0

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
I have a question. Battery positive and 510 positive is connected together will there be short? Because for Sx350j chip 510 positive and battery positive are 2 saparate wires.

That's a really expensive way to turn your sx350j into a mech mod. It may also damage the chip. ;)

The battery positive wire is used to power the sx350J. The 510 positive wire is how the sx350j provides regulated power to the atomizer.

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: Posting Against ECF Supplier TOS

Rob K

Aug 31, 2014
New York
With serial configuration, the battery voltage is doubled, so half the current has to be drawn compared to a parallel configuration. Within the parallel configuration, the batteries split the current as well. So it's basically the same result for the batteries, the difference though is that one can't detect via the chip how many batteries are in parallel, so it assumes only one. There's also other factors that favor serial configurations for high power, such as that the more amps you use, the larger conductors and more heat dissipation you need.

For example, while you assume that the battery amp limit is doubled, this is unlikely true, because the conductors to and from the parallel configuration likely can't support 40 Amps. For that one needs about 12 gauge wire, compared to about 16 gauge wire that can be used for a serial configuration. The chip also would need to be considerably beefed up to handle that level of current, which doesn't make sense from an engineering point of view. Thus, if someone wants to draw 150 Watts from two batteries, to keep the current around 20A means using a serial configuration. That also means that the limit on parallel configuration at 20A will be at 75 Watts.

So you saying if i stack 2 batteries in series that are 20amp each i can still be safe if i have build that pulls more then 20amps from battery?
Not saying that i will build coil-s like that but thats just for example

I was alaway told that 2 batteries in series = 2 x the voltage but amp rate and mah stay the same

2 batteries in parallel = same voltage but 2 x the amp and mah

I really dont care about the mah but i care about the amp because i can build really low and still be safer
Again , correct me if im wrong
Thanks

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
So you saying if i stack 2 batteries in series that are 20amp each i can still be safe if i have build that pulls more then 20amps from battery?
Not saying that i will build coil-s like that but thats just for example

I was alaway told that 2 batteries in series = 2 x the voltage but amp rate and mah stay the same

2 batteries in parallel = same voltage but 2 x the amp and mah

I really dont care about the mah but i care about the amp because i can build really low and still be safer
Again , correct me if im wrong
Thanks

A system is only as capable as its weakest component. So if you use two batteries in parallel, but the conductors aren't thick enough, then the conductors limit your current draw. For example, if the wiring/chip is unsafe to operate above 20A, then you need to operate in serial configuration to increase the power. Parallel configuration only splits the current where the batteries are in parallel, so it can't allow you to operate above 20A in this example, as the wiring/chip are the limiting components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread