"Those things blow up in your face!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren E. Justice

May 12, 2015
California
I have heard this statement over and over through the four years that I have been vaping. Always it comes from someone who cannot say where they learned of this and always it is said by a person who has a stupid cigarrette in their fingers--the nicotine staining their fingers and the burning material slowly killing them. NOW THAT has been proven over and over and the results can be felt in your body if you are a smoker. Smoking sucks the life out of you and the smoker can FEEL it happening.
The horrible coughing. Spitting up nasty brown gue and wheezing like a wounded dying water buffalo.
I was a smoker for many years. I started sneaking cigs from my grandmother and then from my dad and then started buying them from cigarette machines in places all over town. I also used to steal them from the market that had stacks of them right next to the empty boxes that they saved for folks. I would just push a few packs into the boxes and then carry them out. They were the only things I ever stole from a store.

I started smoking at age 12 and didn't stop even though I had all of the above symptoms. Then one day that was THE GREAT AMERICAN SMOKE OUT. I just tossed a full pack of Camels out of the windown of my truck and then went into the withdrawal that was awful. I drank to stop the symptoms and that just made it worse. IT took three days but I did not smoke
Then one day at the gym SIXTEEN YEARS LATER. I was working out. I did this THREE DAYS a week and I did everything from lifting free weights to jumping rope. I could bench press my own weight and I was quick and strong.
I started feeling a heaviness in my chest but I was on the bike and there was a line to use the one I was on so I pressed on. The weight in my chest got worse and I finally finished six miles and I left and went directly across the street to The Heart Center.
After a lot of tests the doctor came and and told me I was going to have to have a 3x bypass on that night or I might not live to see the sunrise.

I had the bypass and woke up with the ventilation tube down my throat. They said I had awakened early in the process and that I had to be on that ventilator for at least 3 more hours and that they could not put me to sleep because it might kill me. I have to tell you that laying there with that giant hose down my throat was a long, long, long three hours.
The surgeon came in after I was off of the machines and was in recovery. HE told me with a stern warning that I HAD to STOP smoking. When I told him that I had not smoked in SIXTEEN years, he simply did not believe me and waited there lecturing me-- telling me that my arteries looked like the arteries of a 70 year old man who smoked three packs a day.
My wife assured him that I had not smoked and he was baffled. HE said: " I have never seen ANYONE ---alive--- with arteries that were that blocked and was not either dead or dying and still smoking.
Over the year following the bypass---I had SIX emergency cardiac stents inserted in my body and had these done over a 3 month period so it was two EMERGENCY--AMBULANCE enabled rescues stent placements per month for three months.
Every time I smoked a cig. (toward the last few months of my smoking) I got sick and had to sit down and catch my breath. But smokers know that they got sick the first time they smoked and they went right back and did it again and again-- they got sick for the first 3-4 times but DID IT ANYWAY and now they can't stop and when told that they could quite easily quit if they just started vaping... they would get the nicotine in a way that is much LIKE smoking EXCEPT their is no burning matter involved. When you vape-- the nicotine can be quite low and easily lowered systematically. They say: " Those things will blow up in your face."
Well let me tell you. I would rather have TEN of these things blow up than go through what I did because of smoking. Why did I start vaping? I don't really know. I used to LIKE smoking until the last couple of years and so I investigated the process and learned that water vapor transfers the nicotine ( which is NOT what causes cancer) through the lungs.

I have vaped for four years and once I started to have a hacking cough and I simply reduced the nicotine by 1/2 and I now get to enjoy the pleasures of smoking without the bypasses.

I believe if someone actually did blow up in someone's face it was because they altered their unit somehow or mismatched systems in some way to cause the accident. But truthfully I believe it is an urban legend. Plain and simple.
IF not-- no matter. I see no way that a BLOW UP could happen with the system that I use. The needed elements for an explosion are not there. So I know that was long and I know I have written it before--and.. perhaps it will ease your mind. IF you can document an explosion of a person using properly matched systems.... I would appreciate return email with the proof attached or the information on how to see the docs.

Thank you and only buy your gear from a place that KNOWS their stuff. Don't buy it from some dude on the street. IF you are given one--have it checked out by a local vape store before you use it.

Warren E. Justice NCARPT, CDMS, CCIMS, CAS, CADC

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I believe if someone actually did blow up in someone's face it was because they altered their unit somehow or mismatched systems in some way to cause the accident. But truthfully I believe it is an urban legend. Plain and simple.
No, it happens. It's rare, and it's usually the result of user error (and perhaps poor education of the user, by the vendors who sold them the equipment), but it does happen. Reports only come in through the media, and so the details are vague and pretty scarce but we have a few pictures and from what we can tell it seems it's usually the result of someone using a pinless or "fake-hybrid" mechanical mod with an incompatible atomizer that does not have the protruding center pin, although any short in the circuit path (torn battery wrap, damaged 510, a broken coil or stray piece of wire in the atomizer, for example) could cause the same result. You hard-short the battery, it overheats and vents, and if the mod does not have adequate venting itself (large holes placed near the positive battery pole) then the pressure builds and builds until the structure of the device physically can't contain it anymore, and you have what's known in the business as an "IED" or "pipe-bomb." It could just as easily be a laptop or cell-phone battery, but those aren't generally encased in airtight metal tubes, so what you usually end up with then is a fire, not an explosion.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Couldn't read that whole post, but consider this...

If mishandled, a can of gas can blow up, but is quite beneficial to many. To chastise an entire market of inanimate objects due to the mistake of some idiot(s) makes the person proclaiming the imagined detriment just as dumb as they guy who blew himself up.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
As a kid, I was involved in bottle rocket war. Guess what happened; I had no warning.

They should put warning labels on them that They shouldn't be used as RPGs in pretend wars.
I mean, how is a grown adult supposed to know better?
Maybe we should blame the B&M fireworks stores for not giving every buyer a free class on how to properly use a bottle rocket, or maybe we can blame manufacturers for not making bottle rockets safer...you
Know....they can explode!!!!
And accidents like that could cause legislation restricting our Fourth of July tactical operations.
:p

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Everything with a battery can explode, the thing is, there is a magic number between a "several" and "Thousands" that is not news.

True, true.

My lap is starting to get warm.

main-qimg-b94ee8eb6b4b436bacb695b7f4dbf530

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Oh my, here we go again.:oops:

Urban Legend - No

Careless or uninformed users - Yes

Much lower failure rate than Laptop batteries or Cell phones - both of which are often in Body contact or proximity.

Annual Wrecks by careless driving?
    Annual Riding mower accidents?
    Loss of life from a single downed commercial aircraft?

I wonder how far down the list Mod dangers really are?:rolleyes:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    They should put warning labels on them that They shouldn't be used as RPGs in pretend wars.
    I mean, how is a grown adult supposed to know better?
    Maybe we should blame the B&M fireworks stores for not giving every buyer a free class on how to properly use a bottle rocket, or maybe we can blame manufacturers for not making bottle rockets safer...you
    Know....they can explode!!!!
    And accidents like that could cause legislation restricting our Fourth of July tactical operations.
    :p
    and to think the benign sparkler can be made into a serious bomb that can remove a hand.... its all how one uses them and if used improperly ( beyond design) it can go boom... misuse a battery, boom

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
    Sep 20, 2015
    Batteries blow in extreme conditions and I never considered it as a significant risk for myself because my settings are safe proof in that regard. The batteries I'm using in my mechanical mod were ordered from recognized genuine providers with careful assessments of the required specific parameters for my mod. They are available here on ECF, thanks to the great folks who put time into posting detailed data about battery specifics.

I read your post carefully. I surely empathize with the pain you been going through especially when you said "I would rather have TEN of these things blow up than go through what I did because of smoking. "

I had 1/4th of my lungs taken off from my chest 4 years ago because of a lung tumor. Like you, I'm a sport addict and even with that thing in my lungs, soon before it was diagnosed I didn't miss any opportunity to kick some serious exercises whether it was boxing, basket ball, running, or biking...

I started smoking at about the same age as you did, and like you stopped for years. Now, I understand that even though I had no dominant desire in smoking, the heavy environmental and commercial pressures put onto us to smoke was such that I started to smoke again and this for a couple of decades, half of it with failing attempts to stop. Honestly, I don't see any wrong in occasional smoking. If I could stick with just a couple of cigs here and there, I believe that I would still be a smoker, but they're made to be purposely so addictive that I could not stick with such a pattern. I use to smoke 10 to 20 a day, which is bad but also can get way worse.

I considered the contribution of smoking in my lung tumor. Indeed, it was significant factor but yet I had to consider other predispositions because it happened to me at a relatively young age, and the list is long. Cancer in the family, asbestos exposure for more than a decade, type 1 diabetes, immuno-suppressive therapy, consistent working stress, exposure to urban atmosphere, to radioactive material at work, poor diet and more that I'm not thinking of... I lost very big when I got sick but yet I've been able to preserve what matter to me the most.

You have every good reasons to hate smoking, but yet it's not all that matter especially the further we step away from it. I wish that soon I will not even think of it just like a non existing matter. Consider other key matters of your condition, smoking been a past and even a forgotten story, I'm committed to withdraw any emotion and thoughts about it.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread