Tobacco laws: California Assembly votes to raise smoking age, regulate e-cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
It's alright. This is really nothing compared to the FDA regs. We are now in a new era...Prohibition. Everything will change now.

I'm glad I was here for what will now be referred to as the Good Old Days. Learned a lot, met a lot of good and helpful people. Only thing to do now is ride this storm wherever it takes us.

Jambi

Reactions: Verb

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
CASAA: FDA Deeming Regulations: Release and Next Steps

Per CASAA:

The most important thing you can do is to make a call, write, or send an email to your Representative and urge them to cosponsor and support HR 2058. If there is one thing that has to be done, this is it. Encourage your family members, friends, everyone who has supported your journey to participate.

DJLEC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Union City, California
It's alright. This is really nothing compared to the FDA regs. We are now in a new era...Prohibition. Everything will change now.

I'm glad I was here for what will now be referred to as the Good Old Days. Learned a lot, met a lot of good and helpful people. Only thing to do now is ride this storm wherever it takes us.

Jambi

Agreed.

Am I understanding this correctly; All of our taxpayer dollars spent by our Lawmakers to set the stage to Tax vapor products, under the pretense of protecting the Children, went up in a puff of smoke today by the FDA.

I find it unlikely the majority of vapors in CA will return to combustible tobacco or cig-a-likes.

Reactions: jambi

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Response from Nicotine River, regarding SBX2-5:

"We do not think it will affect our sales, but if it does we will let everyone know."

Note that my question only mentioned SBX2-5 and nothing about FDA regs. At any rate I'm not worried about my nic supply at this moment. With a 1/2 hour drive I can be on Nic River's doorstep, or Liquid Barn's, since they're located about 5 minutes away from each other, and buy a 55 gal. drum if I want, so I'm not reliant on the internet for nic. I think that's the worst that could come from this bill at this point...that SBX2-5 might have paved the way for insane attempts to ban internet commerce. However, for now the nic is here, in adequate supply, for sale, and doesn't appear to be in immediate danger of drying up.

Reactions: nicnik

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
They will never learn. NY has one of the highest taxes, and it is estimated that 50+% of cigarettes smoked in NY come from the black market.

Hate to Break it to you, but They Don't Care.

There not Doing this for Health or Financial Reasons. There Doing it for Political Gain.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Hate to Break it to you, but They Don't Care.

There not Doing this for Health or Financial Reasons. There Doing it for Political Gain.
Well, since the special session that sparked all this was convened to overcome a medi-cal budget shortfall, I have to think they care at least a little bit about the financial aspect.

I don't think all those involved are concerted though. The age increase seems like pure zealotry that doesn't really benefit anyone.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well, since the special session that sparked all this was convened to overcome a medi-cal budget shortfall, I have to think they care at least a little bit about the financial aspect.

I don't think all those involved are concerted though. The age increase seems like pure zealotry that doesn't really benefit anyone.

Medi-Cal Shortfall? LOL.

Why would they Care about Finances? You show a Projected Increase of Tax Revenues based on Current Smoking Levels. Just don't include the Data Showing that Increases Cigarettes Taxes Increases Black Market Sales. And Remember, were with the Same Brilliant People who thought Leveraging MSA Payment would be a Good Idea.

There not Doing any of this for Health or to Save Money.

There doing this so they can Puff out their Chests and Say that they are Doing it For Health or to Save Money. And Many in California Elected Positions see it as Better to Say that they are Doing something. Than to Do Something that Works.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Medi-Cal Shortfall? LOL.

Why would they Care about Finances? You show a Projected Increase of Tax Revenues based on Current Smoking Levels. Just don't include the Data Showing that Increases Cigarettes Taxes Increases Black Market Sales. And Remember, were with the Same Brilliant People who thought Leveraging MSA Payment would be a Good Idea.

There not Doing any of this for Health or to Save Money.

There doing this so they can Puff out their Chests and Say that they are Doing it For Health or to Save Money. And Many in California Elected Positions see it as Better to Say that they are Doing something. Than to Do Something that Works.
Not to save money, to increase revenue, but you're right. It doesn't have to be effective to be counted a win, in their book.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Nice article in OC Register--if you feel like reading another article....

California's vaping law puts puritanism above health

And a question to all of you: so all those bills that the gov. signed (save one) become law on June 9. Does anyone know what exactly this means for online purchases of vapor products? Age verification? I couldn't find any concrete information on the subject. I know that PACT exempts e-cigs and cigars, so how is this going to work? Will we still be able to order online like we used to after June 9th? I hoped that we would have at least til August 8 to finalize our prepping, but now I'm getting antsy.

Help?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

And a question to all of you: so all those bills that the gov. signed (save one) become law on June 9. Does anyone know what exactly this means for online purchases of vapor products? Age verification? I couldn't find any concrete information on the subject. I know that PACT exempts e-cigs and cigars, so how is this going to work? Will we still be able to order online like we used to after June 9th? I hoped that we would have at least til August 8 to finalize our prepping, but now I'm getting antsy.

Help?
I don't know for sure. I'm hoping other laws would have to be amended before they can actually restrict sale and delivery online, but I don't really know.

Reactions: Katya

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Help?

I haven't been able to get much Info on Age Verification for Online purchases Either.

I went on a Mini Buying Binge (MBB) when SBX2-7 was near Passage. Because I'm afraid that thru Requirement, or thru "Better-Safe-than-Sorry", that Online retailers might want a Copy of my DL. And that is Something I will Not Do.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Online retailers might want a Copy of my DL

girl_cray.gif

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
More bad news.

Bid to Raise California Tobacco Tax Submits Signatures

"A well-financed campaign backed by billionaire environmentalist Tom Steyer, medical groups and organized labor said Monday that it collected more than 1 million signatures for a ballot measure to raise California's cigarette tax by $2 a pack.

Steyer and other leaders of the Save Lives California coalition delivered boxes of petitions to the San Diego County of Registrar of Voters office and will do the same at county offices throughout the state in coming days in its bid to raise the tax to $2.87 a pack.

The tax increase would apply to electronic cigarettes and other products with tobacco or nicotine. The measure calls for proceeds to be spent on Medi-Cal — the state's version of Medicaid — along with anti-smoking campaigns and medical research."

girl_cray.gif

Reactions: Lessifer

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
More bad news.

Bid to Raise California Tobacco Tax Submits Signatures

"A well-financed campaign backed by billionaire environmentalist Tom Steyer, medical groups and organized labor said Monday that it collected more than 1 million signatures for a ballot measure to raise California's cigarette tax by $2 a pack.

Steyer and other leaders of the Save Lives California coalition delivered boxes of petitions to the San Diego County of Registrar of Voters office and will do the same at county offices throughout the state in coming days in its bid to raise the tax to $2.87 a pack.

The tax increase would apply to electronic cigarettes and other products with tobacco or nicotine. The measure calls for proceeds to be spent on Medi-Cal — the state's version of Medicaid — along with anti-smoking campaigns and medical research."

girl_cray.gif
Yeah, zoid linked that earlier today, and we had a good laugh about the thought that any of this was ever about anyone's health.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Yeah, zoid linked that earlier today, and we had a good laugh about the thought that any of this was ever about anyone's health.

Right. Sorry, Zoid--I missed your post! I'm trying to get some work done, but it's becoming increasingly difficult.

Who needs the FDA? Thanks, CA! :-x

We're so screwed. :facepalm:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Right. Sorry, Zoid--I missed your post! I'm trying to get some work done, but it's becoming increasingly difficult.

Who needs the FDA? Thanks, CA! :-x

We're so screwed. :facepalm:

No Worries Kat.

If you are like Me, you probably have had about 19 Tabs Opened every time you are Online since 5-5-16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread