Tobacco laws: California Assembly votes to raise smoking age, regulate e-cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
On Provapes site. Apparently it's not gonna be a big deal.

Pro.jpg

Reactions: Katya

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Changes to the "Honor System" check on landing pages are interesting.

I'm curious how 21+ is done during Check Out?
I imagine it will be a trickle as opposed to a curtain slamming down. The requirements weren't spelled out, so vendors likely have no idea what type of verification is required.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I imagine it will be a trickle as opposed to a curtain slamming down. The requirements weren't spelled out, so vendors likely have no idea what type of verification is required.

Yeah... I have found that California is Very Found of telling you how to run your Business.

But Not so good with Telling you Exactly what you must do to comply with the way California wants you to run your Business.

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Yeah... I have found that California is Very Found of telling you how to run your Business.

But Not so good with Telling you Exactly what you must do to comply with the way California wants you to run your Business.
Exactly - my wife is executive management at a HMO; and they have a huge, complicated medical info submittal each year that they must pass. There are tens of thousands of records to be dealt with.

Their IT dept uses a complicated multi-database routine for compiling the info into the format requested. They are not told what is expected, just cram all the info you think they want, and hope for the best. If you get shot down, the error is shown, but you're not told why, just fix the info.

I think you only have one shot to get it fixed. They can shut the company down because of it.

She pulls her hair hair out; she and others have had to pull double shifts or overnighters because of it - happens every year.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Exactly - my wife is executive management at a HMO; and they have a huge, complicated medical info submittal each year that they must pass. There are tens of thousands of records to be dealt with.

Their IT dept uses a complicated multi-database routine for compiling the info into the format requested. They are not told what is expected, just cram all the info you think they want, and hope for the best. If you get shot down, the error is shown, but you're not told why, just fix the info.

I think you only have one shot to get it fixed. They can shut the company down because of it.

She pulls her hair hair out; she and others have had to pull double shifts or overnighters because of it - happens every year.

Yep... I've seen things like this Many Times.

And it is a Good Example of the Disconnect between Policy Makers and those who are supposed to Oversee, Implement, and or Enforce a procedure.

BTW - Have you ever seen the 1985 film Brazil?

LOL

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

And it is a Good Example of the Disconnect between Policy Makers and those who are supposed to Oversee, Implement, and or Enforce a procedure.
At the company where I work we undergo a Sarbanes-Oxley audit twice per year.
But honestly, they really have no idea what to look for.

For the most part we try to follow proper protocol.
But when the fan gets hit, we do what we need to do and we have our ways.

We have to provide them various reports and such that they ask for.
It's what they don't ask for that is what really matters.
:laugh:

Yiana

Ultra Member
Nov 20, 2015
Planet Earth

BTW - Have you ever seen the 1985 film Brazil?

LOL

I LOVE that movie. Kind of funny how it mirrors society nowadays. o_O

Reactions: LaraC

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
"I don't think that it means that we've rooted out all the potential corruption in city halls or state capitols or D.C. It means there were a few egregious cases that were brought to justice," Levinson said.

If all that are corrupt, were jailed, we'd have no one left to run the country. Shocking, just shocking.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
So, I went to place an order on ITC Vapes over the weekend.... been vaping a few of their juices regularly as the prices are so good.

I kept getting an error saying "We cannot ship to United States" when checking out. Figuring that something went wonky with their online shop system over the weekend, I emailed them.

To my surprise, they are no longer shipping to California due to the new laws. Here's their email response:

Dear customer,

At this time there are laws in place in the state you are trying to order from that is making it illegal for us to ship to you at this time. We understand the inconvenience and are trying our best to find solutions so our customers can receive our juice. IF you are a California resident we are in the process of getting a system implemented to verify our customers age so we can continue shipping to our valued customers. For customers residing in other states there are organizations fighting for your rights and will hopefully turn over the oppressive laws that restrict us from completing orders for our customers.

Sincerely,
ITCvapes Crew

I'm wondering how much of this we're going to start seeing now.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
It is my understanding that some/many vendors have been using a system which is done along with credit card approval. Age verification much the same as when buying "spirits" has been going on more than just an "attestation" for quite some time. Of course, since it can be quite an expensive program, I'm sure there are plenty that might not have a system that Gov Moonbeam and his crew consider acceptable.

I do think FT has put in age verification for Cali shipments. I read on their site that it would mean a couple day delay in shipping....but it was talking about another State. In any event, it seems they are preparing.

Reactions: Lessifer

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
I've gotten two shipments from FT lately, one about two weeks ago. They seem to be taking a few extra days now that I think about it. The only age verification I've seen from them is the "are you 18" window you have to click on, but that was only once, a month or two ago - it hasn't shown since. I should try an order, just to make sure it still works...

Maybe check a few other places online that way, safety first ;)

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread