Vaping for nicotine advantages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Indeed, nicotine is investigated for the treatment of several illness including Alzheimer disease, Parkinson disease, depression and anxiety, schizophrenia, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, pain and even obesity. Would you recommend vaping to such patients?

ABSOLUTELY...why not???

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Just out of curiosity, what kind of organization do you work for? After I got my degree, I was in the U.S. Navy for a while as an MSC O3 scientist, even they weren't that invasive.

Unfortunately, Mosspa, not only has the Fed. Gov. gotten more invasive, but private and public companies of all kinds. Do you remember when we were issued our social security number way back and told absolutely NOT to share it with anything or anyone? Now it's become a "national I.D. card" and to get an account anywhere you must use it. I.D. theft is now rampant. :(

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
People who use drugs to control their blood pressure are dependent, as are people with Parkinson's disease who take l-DOPA. I view my nicotine use the same way. It allows me to cognitively function at a level similar to which I functioned when I was a much younger man. To not do something beneficial because of dependence is ridiculous.
Recently the Royal College of Physicians has released a report (200 pages) concluding that ecigs should be promoted and encouraged and not the reverse. I actually read/scanned it. A lot of their topics didn't interest me but I noticed this comment "Nicotine, at relatively low doses, is a stimulant. It increases heart rate, and has been reported to have beneficial effects on cognition and performance, improving attention, memory and fine motor skills." There is a citation,
44 Heishman SJ, Kleykamp BA, Singleton EG. Meta-analysis of the acute effects of nicotine
and smoking on human performance. Psychopharmacology 2010;210:453–69.

My motorcycle balance practice hobby is a 'fine motor skill', so to speak. I can't tell if nic improves it but I know it doesn't interfere.

The whole ecig report is a PDF with a lot of citations https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/file/3563/download?token=uV0R0Twz

Last edited:
I've been experimenting with nicotine since 2013 to see if it would help with depression and/or anxiety and/or ADD/cognitive issues. I was inspired by some of the same research that led Mosspa to do his own experiments, although I started with, and still use, MUCH lower doses than he uses.

I started with gum and saw moderate results, then moved to vaping and struggled for awhile. I strongly dislike using the gum, but I experienced a distinct (albeit short-lived) lessening of anxiety and improvement in ability concentrate and complete tasks.

On the other hand, I really enjoy the act of vaping but have yet to consistently experience the same results. It's been a learning process. My vaping results started to improve upon learning more about how vaping hardware/devices and technique affect nicotine absorption, as well as figuring out what concentration e-liquid I needed to use to get results that were more or less equivalent to gum.

I go weeks and months at a time where I abstain from all nicotine, and I never have any cravings or any strong desire for nic during those periods. One of the side effects I used to notice is that, paradoxically, although it helps to relieve anxiety, in the beginning I also used to get particularly irritable when I was using the gum. That doesn't seem to happen anymore, with either gum or vaping. I do notice that when I use it, I have a harder time falling asleep, and often, staying asleep. That has been consistent from the beginning, and it usually isn't that bad except when I'm starting up again after a nicotine sabbatical.

So, TLDR: moderate positive results - roughly equivalent to conventional antidepressants prescribed by my doc - but without the unpleasant side effects I've had with most of them. Only downside is a mild to moderate reduction in sleep quality, which is one of the reasons I do look forward to the periodic breaks. (Those usually last anywhere from 3 to 10 weeks, after around 6 to 8 weeks of consistent nic usage.)

mudram99

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2014
South Jawja, United States
In my personal research I can validate your findings. I quit cigarettes for heath reasons using vaping products. Then at the urging of others weaned myself off the nicotine too, successfully. It was at that time I began to notice an increase in mild cognitive issues, forgetfulness, attention deficit, even motivation but I was sleeping better and LONGER. Well while wandering around in the front yard looking for my truck and trying to remember why i wanted to get in the truck to go someplace I realized something was up! I began researching, and have found countless articles, studies, information an even this forum, that supports the fact that nicotine in and of itself has some benefits! While I will not argue that it is harm free, I know for fact it by itself is much less harmful than breathing the combusted fumes off of anything! My case may be unique, being I have a family history of Alzheimer's and according to my wife "mental ......ation" ading nicotine back has brought about results. I was a over 2 pack a day smoker, and have found I need to use 24 - 30 mg juice throughout the day which I believe is even higher that what I was getting from the stinkies, I can once again find my way home from the mall! It is a definite stimulant however and can effect sleep, and I would assume possibly cardio issues in some. I also suffered from low blood pressure all my life so I am personally not experiencing any detrimental effects there.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I've been experimenting with nicotine since 2013 to see if it would help with depression and/or anxiety and/or ADD/cognitive issues. I was inspired by some of the same research that led Mosspa to do his own experiments, although I started with, and still use, MUCH lower doses than he uses.

I started with gum and saw moderate results, then moved to vaping and struggled for awhile. I strongly dislike using the gum, but I experienced a distinct (albeit short-lived) lessening of anxiety and improvement in ability concentrate and complete tasks.

On the other hand, I really enjoy the act of vaping but have yet to consistently experience the same results. It's been a learning process. My vaping results started to improve upon learning more about how vaping hardware/devices and technique affect nicotine absorption, as well as figuring out what concentration e-liquid I needed to use to get results that were more or less equivalent to gum.

I go weeks and months at a time where I abstain from all nicotine, and I never have any cravings or any strong desire for nic during those periods. One of the side effects I used to notice is that, paradoxically, although it helps to relieve anxiety, in the beginning I also used to get particularly irritable when I was using the gum. That doesn't seem to happen anymore, with either gum or vaping. I do notice that when I use it, I have a harder time falling asleep, and often, staying asleep. That has been consistent from the beginning, and it usually isn't that bad except when I'm starting up again after a nicotine sabbatical.

So, TLDR: moderate positive results - roughly equivalent to conventional antidepressants prescribed by my doc - but without the unpleasant side effects I've had with most of them. Only downside is a mild to moderate reduction in sleep quality, which is one of the reasons I do look forward to the periodic breaks. (Those usually last anywhere from 3 to 10 weeks, after around 6 to 8 weeks of consistent nic usage.)
I smoked 25 cigs a day. There was 25mg of nic in the smoke. Today I vape 7 ml with 10mg nic so I'm exposed to 70 mg of nic. It feels like I have more nic in my system than when I was smoking but not 3 x more. I work in a high pressure environment with big stakes and non stop drama. Along with that is lot's of goofy stuff and head trips. I might be the calmest guy in the place and that didn't used to be true. I believe nic reduces stress but feeling the effects of smoking and jonseing for a smoke increase stress. My perception is the nic is a benefit to me. I've mentioned before, motorcycle balance practice is a hobby of mine. At my current level of ability lack of sleep, emotional distraction, even a bit of indigestion can have a noticeable effect on my ability to balance the bike. I can confidently say that nic has no negative influence on my balance system. I'm sure nic is medicinal for at least some people. I'm not aware that I have any illness that needs treatment but I like the effect nic seems to have on my work life. Vaping is allowed on the shop floor. I'm certain vaping has made me more productive.

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
I've got no sort of medical evidence to back this up, but I definitely think that nicotine helps with pain a lot. I think that's one of the reasons cigarettes because such a big thing for me. I've got some physical problems that I refuse to take anything prescription for regularly. A bad back, and some foot deformities (actually had surgery last year to improve one of the defects). Smoking, and now vaping/smokeless tobacco (I pop a snus every now and then) has always made the pain so much better.

By that I don't necessarily mean that the nicotine decreases the amount of pain I'm in a whole lot (although it does some), but it makes me better able to deal with the pain psychologically. If that makes sense at all?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Actually...I believe one would be hard-pressed to find any evidence that nicotine (as opposed to combusted tobacco smoke) causes any harm to one's mind or body...:2c:

If nic was making people sick it wouldn't be available in gum and patches over the counter without a perscription. This has all be studied exhaustively already. The people who depend on tobacco taxes for their funding have selective, self serving memory lapses. Follow the money.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
If nic was making people sick it wouldn't be available in gum and patches over the counter without a perscription. This has all be studied exhaustively already. The people who depend on tobacco taxes for their funding have selective, self serving memory lapses. Follow the money.
In fact, the applications for drugs is actually more involved than for tobacco products. :shock:

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
Thanks for the heads up on the Vape Happy sale on the Kanger Sub tanks, I wanted to get a stash of these for my daugter. Has anybody figured out a way to rebuild the occ premade heads yet? If not, is their a inexpensive option to purchase a load of these heads for backup anyone has found? Great tanks for the money though, thanks again.

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
They're very similar to the PT1 type heads.

Pull the 510 pin and insulating grommet out, take the coil out the top.

Or, just lay in a few of the RTA replacement heads, even easier :)
Thanks for the info, sorry I posted to the wrong thread, I forgot where I was. I have been following this thread since its inception and it has been very interesting. All I can contribute is nicotine has kept me sane for many years and vaping it has been way more beneficial to my health. Thanks all.

Ben McCarthy

Jun 9, 2016
I'm a university professor (neuroscience), and in many of my classes I have extolled the virtues of nicotine when divorced from smoke. Having followed the vaping forums for several years, and watching various websites for adverse effects, I have finally decided to take my own advice and begin vaping to reap the benefits of nicotine. I am 59 years old and haven't smoked a cigarette since April 12, 1972 (after smoking from 7th grade and throughout high school). Many of my friends think I'm nuts, but they can't really dispute the science that strongly suggests that nicotine, especially in older individuals, improves cognitive performance, reduces the probability of Alzheimer's onset, improves memory (especially in reducing those 'senior moments' when you can't get the word out you are looking for), and reduces 'time to sleep' at bedtime. I'm in good shape, physically, and except for a small; increase in heart rate and blood pressure immediately after vaping, the effects are transient (last about 45 min - 1 hr), and don't seem to be detrimental. I vape 5-8 drags about 4 times a day, and I generally don't vape before noon, so I'm probably clearing most of the nicotine (assuming a 2-3 hr half life) daily.

I have been vaping for about a month and I have observed some phenomenological effects that I didn't anticipate, the most dramatic of which is the increase in ethanol-induced euphoria (alcohol buzz) after a few drinks. When I quit smoking 40-some years ago, I did so without any withdrawal symptoms, but I think quitting (I was smoking almost 2 packs a day at the time) was easy because there didn't seem to be much reason to smoke (i.e., I don't think I ever observed euphoria strengthening back then, but in retrospect, with my cigarette usage being so high at the time, I was probably nicotine saturated so the contrast effect, may not have been apparent).

This past month, I have recorded how many "senior moments" I had in my lectures, and in casual conversation, and they averaged about 1.8/day. This coming semester I intend to vape before each lecture and compare my memory lapses when nicotine stimulated to what I observed this past semester. I know this is not a real experiment, but I think it will be interesting even if I even experience a placebo effect.

Anyway, does anybody else here vape for similar reasons?
Great head rush

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Now that summer is winding down, anyone else hopes Mosspa returns?
It would be interesting to hear any update on his self experiment and compare notes on continuing research about vaping if he has anything to add. We're reading that may be kids are ducking the nic issues by using zero nic liquid and that makes sense. I think the appeal of smoking/vaping to never smokers is visual. Vaping wins because the clouds are bigger. If you never experienced nic why go there? The buzz is no more than caffine. May be we're doing the kids a favor letting them try the zero nic experience. You can't buy zero nic tobacco. you can get zero nic e liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread