Vaping for nicotine advantages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosspa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2014
Bonita Springs, FL, USA
Also thought I'd give an update on a related topic, I started a thread 2 years ago about vaping as a never-smoker for cognitive enhancement purposes (https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/vaping-nicotine-as-a-never-smoker-why-not.692685) and was met with a lot of concern by most users as to this being senseless and dangerous.

I'm glad you reminded me of your thread. A lot of what I contributed to it I had mistakenly thought was in this thread. When I reread this thread last night, I didn't find a lot of things that I had said in it. I found them in your thread. Thanks!

Also, it's a pity that your thread didn't go on for longer. I particularly enjoyed the banter there.

mosspa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2014
Bonita Springs, FL, USA
In several threads here, including this one, references are made to studies on non-smokers who received injections of nicotine for some number of days, after which no withdrawal was seen. Does anybody have a reference for this? Right now, I am believing that such studies are an urban legend. I looked at 56 pages of Pubmed references,
Erowid, and several extensive Google searches and found nothing related to such studies. Thinking about the IRB problems one would expect to encounter when proposing the administration of a toxic substance that just about everybody considers to be addictive to non-smoking humans suggests that, unless this was something Josef Mengele, did, it did not really happen.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
In several threads here, including this one, references are made to studies on non-smokers who received injections of nicotine for some number of days, after which no withdrawal was seen. Does anybody have a reference for this? Right now, I am believing that such studies are an urban legend. I looked at 56 pages of Pubmed references,
Erowid, and several extensive Google searches and found nothing related to such studies. Thinking about the IRB problems one would expect to encounter when proposing the administration of a toxic substance that just about everybody considers to be addictive to non-smoking humans suggests that, unless this was something Josef Mengele, did, it did not really happen.
A year ago or so there was a news article in a florida paper involving a medical researcher, who was named, looking in to medical uses of nic. i remember he mentioned that finding. If I can find that article may be you can track him down and put his feet to the fire. may be somebody here will fiind the artical faster than me.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Study finds nicotine safe, helps in Alzheimer's, Parkinson's
Dr. Paul Newhouse

Some years back the Federal Drug Administration approved nic patches for over the counter sales. i believe part of the justiification was the finding or belief that the addiction potential was low or non existant and may be the documentation for that can be obtained.

So bring more questions like this. There are lots of good brains here, calmed and sharpened by our nicotine haze, happy to help.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Is this the study you are looking for? Nicotine treatment of mild cognitive impairment: A 6-month double-blind pilot clinical trial It's refered to in this article
Is Nicotine Really All That Addictive?
"Some evidence of this type can arguably be found in trials of nicotine for its potential benefits for other conditions, such as this one looking at whether it could help with mild cognitive impairments (answer: possibly). By the end of the study, 34 non-smokers had been on 15 mg of nicotine per day in the form of patches, but none reported any withdrawal symptoms, and all stopped using the patches. Someother studies have also looked at nicotine as a potential treatment for other conditions in never-smokers with no reports of dependence. However, evidence of this type is ultimately very limited, and since none of these studies specifically set out to investigate dependence in never-smokers, it’s more like anecdotal evidence than anything."

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Is this the study you are looking for? Nicotine treatment of mild cognitive impairment: A 6-month double-blind pilot clinical trial It's refered to in this article
"Some evidence of this type can arguably be found in trials of nicotine for its potential benefits for other conditions, such as this one looking at whether it could help with mild cognitive impairments (answer: possibly). By the end of the study, 34 non-smokers had been on 15 mg of nicotine per day in the form of patches, but none reported any withdrawal symptoms, and all stopped using the patches. Someother studies have also looked at nicotine as a potential treatment for other conditions in never-smokers with no reports of dependence. However, evidence of this type is ultimately very limited, and since none of these studies specifically set out to investigate dependence in never-smokers, it’s more like anecdotal evidence than anything."
Patches are a very different than smoking, or even vaping, due to the rate at which blood nicotine levels change. Moreover smoking, vaping, and even oral nicotine (gum, snus, etc) include behavioral reinforcements that aren't present with patches.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Patches are a very different than smoking, or even vaping, due to the rate at which blood nicotine levels change. Moreover smoking, vaping, and even oral nicotine (gum, snus, etc) include behavioral reinforcements that aren't present with patches.
I was responding to a request for specific information which I think I found.

Reactions: DavidOck

mosspa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2014
Bonita Springs, FL, USA

This one will have to do. I didn't think there was an injection study, but a 6-month study with transdermal nicotine should do. After asll, 6-months of continuous nicotine exposure should certainly suggest that it isn't "addictive" as a drug, independent of other chemicals or habitual "smoking behavior". Thank you!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Had that one, thanks. Was looking for studies that were said to have used injected nicotine to directly test the "addiction" hypothesis.
Wow, I think I'll stick with vaping my nic, no pun intended. i've never heard of that and I bet nobody else here has either and if not it probably didn't happen.

My perception of my own relationship to nic, after decades of smoking and 2+ years of vaping is I really like the feeling of nic in my system but I don't get so restless or irritable if I can't vape as i might have in my smoking days. One more personal observation. My work place restricted vaping some months back after several years of vaping freely. That reduced my daily ml's from 7 to 4-5. What's interesting is that value holds on days off, even sitting around the house all day so may be it's permanent. In my smoking days i managed to smoke my daily quota of cigs regardless of what was going on. The number only increased, it never decreased.

Last edited:

mosspa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2014
Bonita Springs, FL, USA
Wow, I think I'll stick with vaping my nic, no pun intended. i've never heard of that and I bet nobody else here has either and if not it probably didn't happen.

It is mentioned in several threads here, including this one, I think. However, I'm now convinced that it is an urban legend.

mosspa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2014
Bonita Springs, FL, USA
For what it's worth this is the lecture I'll be giving tomorrow (please pardon the typos). I'll upload the reference section from the Surgeon General's 2010 report if anybody wants it. I'm sure some of the neuropharmacology will probably be difficult to interpret. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

• Nicotine Lecture Reduced.pdf
    987.7 KB · Views: 30

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
For what it's worth this is the lecture I'll be giving tomorrow (please pardon the typos). I'll upload the reference section from the Surgeon General's 2010 report if anybody wants it. I'm sure some of the neuropharmacology will probably be difficult to interpret. I'll be happy to answer any questions.
Thanks. The part that interests me is the story of Jerez, the first Europeon smoker, going to jail for 7 years for blowing smoke and consorting with the devil. My theory about kids and smoking is the attraction is visual, not flavor or nicotine. 'It's the clouds, bro'. If there was nothing visible the kids would have no interest. Vaping is trouncing smoking with kids because the clouds are bigger. I can vape just about anywhere iif there is no visible vapor.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

Darn, and all along "we" have been saying only 5000 other components of cig smoke!!

mosspa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2014
Bonita Springs, FL, USA
Darn, and all along "we" have been saying only 5000 other components of cig smoke!!

The last detailed chemical analysis was in 2013 and the number of products is just over 9600! Maybe I should have said something like "just under 10,000" :)

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
If there was nothing visible the kids would have no interest. Vaping is trouncing smoking with kids because the clouds are bigger. I can vape just about anywhere iif there is no visible vapor.

ME...never had any interest in the "Invisi-Vapor E-CIG CARTRIDGES"...

Thanks to our Invisivapor technology, you can sneak a vape without catching tons of attention: exactly what you need when discretion is the word du jour. That means you can use an e-cig with no visible vapor to stay under the radar without sacrificing all the things you love.

Invisible Vapor | Electronic Cigarette Cartridges | White Cloud

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
ME...never had any interest in the "Invisi-Vapor E-CIG CARTRIDGES"...

Thanks to our Invisivapor technology, you can sneak a vape without catching tons of attention: exactly what you need when discretion is the word du jour. That means you can use an e-cig with no visible vapor to stay under the radar without sacrificing all the things you love.

Invisible Vapor | Electronic Cigarette Cartridges | White Cloud
I made some DIY with 100% PG for low vapor production. It wasn't a satisfying experience. There are other ways to conceal my vape when necessary. I don't need to see clouds but i care about texture.

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread