Vaping nicotine as a never-smoker, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosspa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2014
Bonita Springs, FL, USA
You are a non addict. You have shed that fact ad nauseum. You will never understand addiction as hard as you try.

I'm also somewhat of an expert on 'dependence' as one of my neuroscience research endeavors, and there is no credible evidence that nicotine produces dependence of any kind. I know you can't handle that 'truth', but it is a 'truth' none the less.

Reactions: VNeil

mosspa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2014
Bonita Springs, FL, USA
I think you are using basically the same setup all the time... an EVOD style atty with either the same resistance coil all the time, or the coil resistances do not vary much. In that case, yes, you get at least rough calibrated to a certain voltage, and while you think in terms of voltage, various voltage levels equate to certain wattages (more or less). Where you start thinking about power is when you start swapping back and forth between sub ohm and higher ohm coils, and especially rebuilding (just because rebuilding allows one to build to any resistance and that is not always an exact science).

I don't think most vapers using VW devices are really thinking about "absolute power", as in they think they need 21.5W or some specific and precise wattage. But I know, for example, that my sweet spot is usually around 20-25W. If I remove a 1.8R atty and install a 0.5R atty, and my device is set somewhere in that 20-25W range, I know I'm in a reasonable ballpark, from which I can dial in quickly. If I were set to 4.5V with a 1.8R coil, and then installed a 0.5R coil, I would need to do some math to figure out a reasonable starting voltage, and that math is solving for wattage, in some form. If I fire that 0.5R coil at the same 4.5V I might be a very unhappy camper, depending on the ATTY (my kanger Subtank Mini might not like that at all).

ETA: I'm struggling to explain why VV makes perfect sense with an EVOD style atty running ~2R coils, but it doesn't make sense when you get into higher power atty's and drippers. Totally different set of problems (actually certain problems arise that you haven't seen yet)

OK, I think I get it now. Yes, I always use the SmokTeck glass EVOD-type atty with either a 1.8 or 2.4 Ohm coil. I spend far too much time updating and upgrading my keyboard and recording rig to have time to play 'switch-the-mod' :)

mosspa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2014
Bonita Springs, FL, USA
I'm going to try another angle. Power is a universal language among vapers. If you tell me you have an EVOD running 6W I understand that. If you have a 1 ohm dripper running 25W I get that, I know at least approximately the vape you are getting. And regardless of the resistance of the dripper, if I know you run it at 50W I have a pretty close idea of your vape.

If you tell me you are running your mod at 4.2V it means nothing to me, without knowing the resistance of the coil, and at that point I am computing wattage, at least roughly in my head, at some level to relate to the vape you are getting.

If you tell me you are running your mod at 14W I don't really have to know the resistance of your coil to know the vape you are getting (although it does help to refine things, for sure).

If you tell me you are running your EVOD at 4.2V then it actually does mean something. Only because an EVOD is an EVOD and everyone had a similar experience because they all use higher resistance coils. But once you get away from an EVOD, voltage has less and less meaning without calculating your way to wattage.

I got it before my last post, actually. So if power is the universal language I am currently vaping at 8.0W [3.8V+/- .2V, 1.8 Ohm coil], if that helps.

mosspa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2014
Bonita Springs, FL, USA
Actually if you are trying to achieve anything that resembles the blood nicotine delivered by a cigarette, at 36W you would need about 6.75 mg/ml, at least. A standard EVOD (2.4 Ohms, 3.6V) = 5.4W. Research indicates that you need to inhale about 50 mg/ml vapor from an EVOD to get the same blood dose of nicotine as from a standard cigarette smoke.

Vapez

Ultra Member
Aug 22, 2015
Norway
I take a rather opposite view. Why would anyone who doesn't already smoke or vape, want to vape if not for the nicotine? I just don't see the point. Not that I'm going to expend any effort to talk them out of it, but it seems like a lot of trouble to go through for little benefit. Sure, go ahead and try 0 nic vaping if you want to try it for weight loss or anti-anxiety, I'm just skeptical that it really works for those purposes.
It helps me. Whenever I have the urge for something good, I just take up my PV

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I'm also somewhat of an expert on 'dependence' as one of my neuroscience research endeavors, and there is no credible evidence that nicotine produces dependence of any kind. I know you can't handle that 'truth', but it is a 'truth' none the less.
Nothing credible other than the millions that have died from not being addicted to the nicotine in cigarettes and its biproducts.

Last edited:

mosspa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2014
Bonita Springs, FL, USA
Nothing credible other than the millions that have died from not being addicted to the nicotine in cigarettes and its biproducts.

Exactly, I couldn't have said it better myself. "Millions have died from not being addicted to nicotine....". Actually I might have said "Billions have died from not being addicted to nicotine, although trillions is not out out of the question, depending when you started the clock"

Last edited:

JavaJunkie

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Virginia
Is the never-smoker an adult? Do they have the mental prowess to make adult decisions? Do they have the financial resources to support their own vaping habit/hobby? Are they aware that nicotine is an addictive substance?

Yes to all of those?

Then, I have no problems with never-smokers vaping.

GraCnT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I personally don't see anything wrong with it as long as it's an adult making their own decision.
I'm a former 30 year smoker no more going on 3 years because my son forced me to vape. I don't need to tell all of us here who have quit this way how great we feel and how we wished we had this and done it sooner.
My daughter who is 25 never smoked and would occasionally pick up my 12mg vape and puff at it. She's a programmer and would dud out and said it helped her focus.. would I be mad at her if she got a set up. Not at all.. if she bought a pack of cigs I'd have bit her head off.... vaping isn't perfect.... but it's more perfect than many other things out there.....
Anyway just my 2 cents worth a penny lol.
Vape on and happy everyone :)

Scotticus93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
To me it's like. Hey you have never drank before. Here's a couple beers and you get a buzz. As opposed to. Chug a bottle of jack you'll be fine. Harm reduction. As someone said in a a similar thread. A lot of us made the decision to smoke originally to get a nic buzz. I see vaping as a safer way to do that. People are always gonna wanna use nic. But this seems to the be safest. As rip says "smoking is dead. Vaping is the future. And the future is now."

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I was merely taking issue with their "test" for dependency. They go on to state different rates of continuation based on different methods, but the rates of continuation could have been due to different methods delivering different basic benefits to the users. Without testing the effect of discontinuing use I don't see any way they can determine dependence.

Let's say someone does a test related to orange juice. One control group eats oranges every morning. The other drinks a glass or two.

At the end of the test, they come back 3 weeks later to see who continues to ingest orange juice in the same way they were previously tested.

They find that orange juice drinkers were twice as likely to still be drinking orange juice, verses those eating fresh oranges.

They determine orange juice is more likely to create a dependence.

Do you agree with that methodology or logic?
Depends

Does the orange juice contain 4000 potentially addictive additives?

Tapatyped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread