Very General Question About Nicotine (NOT about amount to use)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Hey folks,

Does nicotine in and of itself, even mixed in a 100% VG base, have a certain amount of throat hit or burn to it? (Because I am finding it does.) I was under the impression PG was needed for that b/c nic on it's own did not have any. Or do different nicotine extraction processes result in 'smoother' or 'harsher' nic bases? Is this why people talk about really liking nic from one vendor or another? TIA. (PS This nic is from eJuice4u.)

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Nicotine is the base ingredient for throat hit much more so then PG alone. The higher the mg the more throat hit you will get. The quality of Nicotine is also very important. A good quality nicotine will produce a clean pure throat hit. A cheaper poorly extracted nicotine will produce a harsher throat hit with a peppery type of sensation. This is why it is important to select a recommended vendor.

Reactions: Hoosier

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Nicotine is the base ingredient for throat hit much more so then PG alone. The higher the mg the more throat hit you will get. The quality of Nicotine is also very important. A good quality nicotine will produce a clean pure throat hit. A cheaper poorly extracted nicotine will produce a harsher throat hit with a peppery type of sensation. This is why it is important to select a recommended vendor.

And THIS is the issue! I inhaled Black n Mild's and filterless clove cigarettes. But this isn't a throat hit. It's a harsh, burning on the throat and tongue that feels like a scalding and ruins the vape. 100% different than a throat hit!

So where do I need to get nic to get NO burn and a smooth pure throat hit? I have heard ppl recommend Nude Nic but it seems like they can take up to 3+ days to process an order. Then others have said Vapers Tek is even better than NN. What say you fine people?

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
And THIS is the issue! I inhaled Black n Mild's and filterless clove cigarettes. But this isn't a throat hit. It's a harsh, burning on the throat and tongue that feels like a scalding and ruins the vape. 100% different than a throat hit!

So where do I need to get nic to get NO burn and a smooth pure throat hit? I have heard ppl recommend Nude Nic but it seems like they can take up to 3+ days to process an order. Then others have said Vapers Tek is even better than NN. What say you fine people?

Are you sure you are not getting dry puff? This sounds more like a wicking issue, not a nic issue.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Believe me, I have been vaping for 3+ years, I build my own coils and DIY my juice, I use Ti and Ni201 and TC and so a dry hit isn't even possible, even if you want to assume I don't know what I'm talking about, but I do.

Since this is getting off track and I am short on time I will just go read other nic threads for a good vendor with clean, non-peppery nic. Thanks everyone for your time.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

If this is the case you need to determine exactly where this is coming from. It could be the NIC, the PG, The VG or the flavoring. You need to prepare a proper base and taste it before you add flavoring. Once you have your base tasting right then add the flavoring. It's the only way to nail down whats causing it. I wrote a blog that will take you through this process.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...educe-that-peppery-harsh-nicotine-taste.6955/

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
If this is the case you need to determine exactly where this is coming from. It could be the NIC, the PG, The VG or the flavoring.

I have been using the same VG for all the yrs I have been vaping. Essential Depot, and I just got a new gallon which I have been happily vaping away with, nic-free, using my DIY TFA flavored juices. It was only on adding the nic that gave me the burn. So I dumped my juice, (5ml authentic Kanger Subtank Mini) rinsed and dried, re-wicked, juiced up the wick with VG, filled the tank with 50% VG and 50% nic base, [which is 100% VG-based @ 12mg/ml concentration]... so diluted down 50% it becomes 6mg/ml... and it was still burny. Vapable but not pleasant.

Taking hits every few minutes as I was working, I realized I hate this burny-&^% nic, and dumped it... re-wicked the RBA, added my DIY juice... and went back to heaven.

It's the nic. Plain and simple.

I know people are trying to be helpful and I appreciate it, but when I have stated many times that I KNOW it's the nic, it becomes very frustrating to have people continue to question that point.

I ordered a sampler from Nude Nic so this matter is resolved unless someone wants to share their personal favorite nic vendor who sells clean nic with no peppery burn. I don't even care if it has a weak throat hit... just no burny/peppery scald.

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Vapers Tek Chemnovatic Nicotine ... silky smooth vape.

Thanks so much. +1 for VT. The main contenders seem to be: VT, Nude Nic, and Xtreme Nic from what I have gathered. But AFAIK NN is the only one who has samplers, which is why I went that way. VT was my 2nd choice and I will certainly try them if I am not happy with NN.

Have you (or anyone else) ever had both NN and VT to compare?

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
I have not tried NN ... however, early in my DIY vape journey, I was having the same harshness issue with every vendor juice I tried ... I still have 3/4L of 100mg MFS nicotine. The stuff is so harsh, I wouldn't even be comfortable to PIF.

I like to vape with minimal TH and zero pepper taste ... VT totally solved that problem.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Thanks so much. +1 for VT. The main contenders seem to be: VT, Nude Nic, and Xtreme Nic from what I have gathered. But AFAIK NN is the only one who has samplers, which is why I went that way. VT was my 2nd choice and I will certainly try them if I am not happy with NN.

Have you (or anyone else) ever had both NN and VT to compare?

I have always bought mine from MFS and been happy with it, personally, I felt NN was smoother and taste-less from sample I received.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I have not tried NN ... however, early in my DIY vape journey, I was having the same harshness issue with every vendor juice I tried ... I still have 3/4L of 100mg MFS nicotine. The stuff is so harsh, I wouldn't even be comfortable to PIF.

Thanks, I have read others who found MFS's nic harsh, which is why I didn't consider it. It's great for those it works for, and everyone has different tastes but like you, I ...

I like to vape with minimal TH and zero pepper taste ... VT totally solved that problem.

... yes. This is what I am looking for, and if the NN sample isn't completely to my liking, VT it is. I have bookmarked their site in my Vape folder. :) Appreciate the post!

@YoursTruli thanks for that comparison. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread