What the {edited} is wrong with this industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
No Les. You are Right.

Without the Support of Retailers and without the Blessing of our Advocacy Groups, the whole thing would be kinda Futile.

I just thought it would be Different. Because I have Watched this whole thing Unfold since about the Beginning. And I somehow thought that when Deeming Hit, that there would be More.
Perhaps when vapers show up at their regular vqapeshop and they are closed or have next to nothing left to sell !?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Perhaps when vapers show up at their regular vqapeshop and they are closed or have next to nothing left to sell !?
that's beginning to happen now, I guess we'll see how well it motivates people. I'm not even sure who to look to to try to organize things.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
that's beginning to happen now, I guess we'll see how well it motivates people. I'm not even sure who to look to to try to organize things.
Perhaps in one or two states it has started to happen. No sign of it in Seattle as of yet. Visited two vapeshops last week, one of the workers didn't even know what's supposed to happen on 8/8. When i told him, his response was " o yeah. i heard about that, i hear it's a rumour ! ". The other vapeshop ( small, independently owned ) told me there is nothing to worry about. The only changes are they can't help with coils anymore, and they will start charging a $1 fee for sampling products. He said he isn't sure if they will credit the $1 towards the purchase of juice ( if you end up buying ), or not. He is supposedly waiting to hear from his lawyer on that. I don't even buy that, highly doubtful he has paid for a lawyer, he is probably looking at facebook to see what other vapeshop owners plan on doing.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Just not enough of us telling them to stop, not even 5 % of the numbers needed to grab their attention. i have no idea how to convince vapers and shop owners of the gravity of the situation, not a clue.

If you have a few days open, spend a week handing out 1 page fliers on car windows next to vape shops.

Make SURE you open the first paragraph with "SAVE VAPING - SAVE OUR VAPE SHOP" to drum up support for the vape shop to get them on your side.

Include the web addresses for CASAA, SFATA, ECF.

SAMPLE:

SAVE VAPING - SAVE OUR VAPE SHOP

2016 to 2018 FDA DEEMING RULES AND HOW THEY EFFECT VAPING
    --Vape goods being sold before 2007 can remain available indefinitely at this point in time
    --After August 8, 2016 no new products or changes to existing products are allowed
    --Manufacturers of ALL e-liquids or vaping related products will have up to two years to submit FDA PMTA applications for products that have come to market after April 15, 2007 (KNOWN AS THE PREDICATE DATE) so that they may be reviewed for fitness within the market in accordance with FDA intents and purposes for tobacco products.
    --The FDA PMTA review process is estimated to take a year and cost as much as $1 million per product
    --There will be very few PMTA applications submit with most (if not all) coming from Big Tobacco
    --There is no way of knowing if the FDA will approve any PMTA applications, as in the past few new tobacco products have been allowed to be marketed as tobacco products after the initial set of FDA regulations became law
    --For products not passing the PMTA process, they must be withdrawn from the vaping market
    --It is expected that scarcity or the lack of vaping products will occur across all segments of the market

OUR RESPONSE
    --Remove tobacco classification because vaping products are primarily 100% tobacco free
    --Change the predicate date from April 15, 2007 to the current date in (2016/2017/...) for the Pre-Market Tobacco Applications process (PMTA).
    --Requesting a Substantial Equivalence (SE) Report instead of PMTA, so that all products that are essentially similar in operation to that which has already been accepted to also be accepted and allowed to be sold
    --Overturn the ban on FREE SAMPLES so that vendors can send samples out to vapers

ACT NOW!
    Join CASAA at CASAA.org
    Join SFATA at SFATA.org
    Join ECF at www.e-cigarette-forum.com

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    I was hoping for some sort of rally in D.C. at least. I could go to that as I live pretty nearby. I'm disappointed and a little puzzled that nothing like that has happened.
    dylan_thomas_04.jpg

Do not go gentle into that good night
    Dylan Thomas, 1914 - 1953
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
    Because their words had forked no lightning they
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
    Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
    And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
    Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
    Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 27, 2010
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Well, this particular issue is the ban on free samples that goes into effect 8/8/16. So no more walking into your local shop and trying the liquid lines that they carry. People are still trying to figure out what can be done about that. I don't think it's as simple as charge a penny or a dollar.
    Why not? If they charge a penny it's not free.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 27, 2010
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I'm open to suggestions as to how we get people to unite. We keep telling them to stop, but apparently not loud enough.
    CASAA should organize local chapters. I've suggested this before. I'd gladly do it in KC, but I don't even have contact information for other local members. All I'd need to get started is ten enthusiastic people.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 27, 2010
    Kansas City, Missouri
    If you have a few days open, spend a week handing out 1 page fliers on car windows next to vape shops.

Make SURE you open the first paragraph with "SAVE VAPING - SAVE OUR VAPE SHOP" to drum up support for the vape shop to get them on your side.

Include the web addresses for CASAA, SFATA, ECF.

SAMPLE:

SAVE VAPING - SAVE OUR VAPE SHOP

2016 to 2018 FDA DEEMING RULES AND HOW THEY EFFECT VAPING
    --Vape goods being sold before 2007 can remain available indefinitely at this point in time
    --After August 8, 2016 no new products or changes to existing products are allowed
    --Manufacturers of ALL e-liquids or vaping related products will have up to two years to submit FDA PMTA applications for products that have come to market after April 15, 2007 (KNOWN AS THE PREDICATE DATE) so that they may be reviewed for fitness within the market in accordance with FDA intents and purposes for tobacco products.
    --The FDA PMTA review process is estimated to take a year and cost as much as $1 million per product
    --There will be very few PMTA applications submit with most (if not all) coming from Big Tobacco
    --There is no way of knowing if the FDA will approve any PMTA applications, as in the past few new tobacco products have been allowed to be marketed as tobacco products after the initial set of FDA regulations became law
    --For products not passing the PMTA process, they must be withdrawn from the vaping market
    --It is expected that scarcity or the lack of vaping products will occur across all segments of the market

OUR RESPONSE
    --Remove tobacco classification because vaping products are primarily 100% tobacco free
    --Change the predicate date from April 15, 2007 to the current date in (2016/2017/...) for the Pre-Market Tobacco Applications process (PMTA).
    --Requesting a Substantial Equivalence (SE) Report instead of PMTA, so that all products that are essentially similar in operation to that which has already been accepted to also be accepted and allowed to be sold
    --Overturn the ban on FREE SAMPLES so that vendors can send samples out to vapers

ACT NOW!
    Join CASAA at CASAA.org
    Join SFATA at SFATA.org
    Join ECF at www.e-cigarette-forum.com
    Affect, not effect.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Why not? If they charge a penny it's not free.
    If you charge for it it's a product, if it's a product, is it a tobacco product? do you need a sku for each sample you could have? does it need a pmta?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    I don't know what an sku is. PMTPAs aren't needed for two years, as you know.
    A SKU is a type of product code, it's just a specific individual code per product. PMTA's aren't due for two years, but I don't know how the FDA would treat individual puffs on a "demo" vaporizer. Like I said, I haven't really looked into what the consensus is, if there is one.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 27, 2010
    Kansas City, Missouri
    A SKU is a type of product code, it's just a specific individual code per product. PMTA's aren't due for two years, but I don't know how the FDA would treat individual puffs on a "demo" vaporizer. Like I said, I haven't really looked into what the consensus is, if there is one.
    A puff isn't a product. The vape shop could charge a penny for unlimited puffing and still be perfectly legal, IMO.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    A puff isn't a product. The vape shop could charge a penny for unlimited puffing and still be perfectly legal, IMO.
    I don't know, there is a post on the CASAA fb page discussing it, over 150 replies that I could see, and no consensus. Most seem to think a penny wasn't enough, it needs to cover the value of what is consumed, plus any applicable taxes, and it has to go through the sale and inventory system, or at least that's what half the people believed.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 27, 2010
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I don't know, there is a post on the CASAA fb page discussing it, over 150 replies that I could see, and no consensus. Most seem to think a penny wasn't enough, it needs to cover the value of what is consumed, plus any applicable taxes, and it has to go through the sale and inventory system, or at least that's what half the people believed.
    I can't find the post you're referring to. Admittedly, I don't like FB and lose patience trying to find things on it.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    I can't find the post you're referring to. Admittedly, I don't like FB and lose patience trying to find things on it.
    For some reason I can't get a link to the post, maybe because you have to be a member of the group to see it, it's in the We Are CASAA group, original post by Misty Skrhak Burke and the text is:
    Do any brick and mortar shop owners have any advice on charging for samples? I've already decided to pull everything, put it behind counter and charge a flat fee for samples starting Aug 8. What is everyone else doing?
    I'm afraid I may not be prepared for the headache this may present.

Reactions: bigdancehawk

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 27, 2010
    Kansas City, Missouri
    For some reason I can't get a link to the post, maybe because you have to be a member of the group to see it, it's in the We Are CASAA group, original post by Misty Skrhak Burke and the text is:
    Do any brick and mortar shop owners have any advice on charging for samples? I've already decided to pull everything, put it behind counter and charge a flat fee for samples starting Aug 8. What is everyone else doing?
    I'm afraid I may not be prepared for the headache this may present.
    Specifically, what is it in the regs people are worried about? What makes them think they can't charge a penny per hour?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Specifically, what is it in the regs people are worried about? What makes them think they can't charge a penny per hour?
    The regs only say no free samples, specifically no consuming of or leaving the store with a sample without paying for it. I got the impression there might have been discussion in at least one of the webinars that did not clear things up, but I haven't watched them. The worst thing about the fb discussions for me is, I don't know who anyone is, so I have no idea who to believe. Not that it really matters to me, since I'm not running a shop.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 27, 2010
    Kansas City, Missouri
    The regs only say no free samples, specifically no consuming of or leaving the store with a sample without paying for it. I got the impression there might have been discussion in at least one of the webinars that did not clear things up, but I haven't watched them. The worst thing about the fb discussions for me is, I don't know who anyone is, so I have no idea who to believe. Not that it really matters to me, since I'm not running a shop.
    Sounds like a lot of people may be overreacting. They have far more significant challenges than figuring out how to impose a nominal charge for samples.

Reactions: Rt1Rebel
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread