When did you stop smoking analogs?

When did you stop smoking tobacco cigarettes?

• Before 2008

• Jan - Mar 2008

• Apr - June 2008

• Jul - Sept 2008

• Oct - Dec 2008

• Jan - Mar 2009

• Apr - June 2009

• Jul - Sept 2009

• Oct - Dec 2009

• Jan - Mar 2010

• Apr - June 2010

• Jul - Sept 2010

• Oct - Dec 2010

• Jan - March, 2011

• On or after April 1, 2011

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Judging from the Success Stories section, we have a sizeable number of people who have made it past the benchmarks that are used to judge success in research on smoking cesstion. A meta-analysis of research on the use of FDA-approved nicotine weaning products show that when they are used as directed, the success rates are:
After 6 months - 7%
After 12 months - 5%
After 20 months - 2%

NOTE: This poll replaces "Long-Term Success Rate". That one was not working as well as I hoped.

Last edited:

Elwin

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Missouri, USA
Actually, I haven't quit tobacco cigarettes yet.
I have substantially reduced my use of cigarettes.
And frankly, without that data, (that is, those who haven't quit even with the help of the e-cig), then I don't see how a poll like this could be used as an accurate gauge of the success rate of e-cigarettes.

Also, when you say things like "That one was not working as well as I hoped." (your previous poll) what that sounds like is that you didn't get the numbers you wanted, so you'll just try again until you get the numbers that please you. That may not be the case, but it sure sounds that way.

But in the long run, polls like this are useless anyway. They are based on the number of people who like to take polls.

And I'm sorry if that might seem offensive, but I have seen too many polls that are worded in such a way to the force or direct the participants of the poll to make the choices that the pollster wanted in the first place.

IOU

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
Laguna Beach, California
Great job Vocalek! :)
Judging from the Success Stories section, we have a sizeable number of people who have made it past the benchmarks that are used to judge success in research on smoking cesstion. A meta-analysis of research on the use of FDA-approved nicotine weaning products show that when they are used as directed, the success rates are:
After 6 months - 7%
After 12 months - 5%
After 20 months - 2%

NOTE: This poll replaces "Long-Term Success Rate". That one was not working as well as I hoped.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Actually, I haven't quit tobacco cigarettes yet.
I have substantially reduced my use of cigarettes.
And frankly, without that data, (that is, those who haven't quit even with the help of the e-cig), then I don't see how a poll like this could be used as an accurate gauge of the success rate of e-cigarettes.

Also, when you say things like "That one was not working as well as I hoped." (your previous poll) what that sounds like is that you didn't get the numbers you wanted, so you'll just try again until you get the numbers that please you. That may not be the case, but it sure sounds that way.

But in the long run, polls like this are useless anyway. They are based on the number of people who like to take polls.

And I'm sorry if that might seem offensive, but I have seen too many polls that are worded in such a way to the force or direct the participants of the poll to make the choices that the pollster wanted in the first place.

Gee, Elwin. Did you go look at the other poll? The problem is not that I wasn't getting the results I wanted -- I had no preconceived ideas regarding how many numbers would land in which category. The problem is that I had included dates in the future. I did this so that, as time went by, we could grab the dates for newcomers who joined us. Unfortunately, that turned out to be confusing. Some people selected that they had quit smoking in the latter half of 2011 or in 2012, which is still in the future. Since nobody has a time machine sitting on their back porch, those responses can't be right. There is no way for people to change their answer once it is stored.

So when I said that the poll question was not working as well as I hoped, what I meant was that the poll question was not working as well as I hoped it would work. I said what I meant, and I meant what I said.

I am not trying to determine the relative percentages of those who quit, versus those who cut down, versus those who still smoke as much as they ever did. We already have that data from two different surveys as well as from a poll question here that has been around for about two years: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/polls/6470-e-cig-success-rate.html

The Percentages are

The Tobacco Harm Reduction Survey: 79% replaced all their cigarettes, 17% replaced some, 4% still smoke the same number.
The CASAA Survey: 74.7 % now use no tobacco products at all, 19.6% still some some # of cigarettes, 3.7% use snus, 2.6% smoke cigars, and some other tobacco products are used by even smaller percentages.
E-cig Success Rate Poll Question: 83.35 completely quit, 16.07 cut down on number smoked, and 0.58% only use e-cigs when they can't smoke.

The questions are all worded somewhat differently, and the results are not identical; but we do see a fairly consistent pattern in these percentages.

All I am trying to gather is a count. Damn near anything you use to help you stop smoking works better than nothing in the short-term. The pharmaceutical companies like to brag about supposedly high success rates. But their clainical trials only lasted for 12 weeks. I quoted the long term statistics for NRTs (when used as directed) in the first post.

I'm looking to see many of us have managed to STAY quit for six months, over a year, two years (longer, as time goes on). I'm not trying to compare these numbers to anything else. Just to establish that we have a significant number of people for whom these devices seem to be working more or less permanently.

Is it statisticaly valid? No. Can I get it published in scientific journal? No. But it would be great to be able to say that we have counted up over a thousand e-cigarette users who have stayed abstinent from smoking for over a year. Maybe someone who is a real scientific researcher will see that and decide to do a full-blown population study on the question of how well e-cigs work.

Yah, it does seem offensive when people tell me what my motives are. Kind of like reading the the model legislation put out by the Americans for Nonsmokers Rights. They tell the world that the only reason people choose to use an electronic cigarette is to "circumvent" anti-smoking laws.

If you want to know what my motives are, just ask. I have no hidden agenda. I am retired, living on Social Security and a small pension. I don't get paid for any of the activist work I do.

Last edited:

Elwin

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Missouri, USA
Gee, Elwin. Did you go look at the other poll? The problem is not that I wasn't getting the results I wanted -- I had no preconceived ideas regarding how many numbers would land in which category. The problem is that I had included dates in the future. I did this so that, as time went by, we could grab the dates for newcomers who joined us. Unfortunately, that turned out to be confusing. Some people selected that they had quit smoking in the latter half of 2011 or in 2012, which is still in the future. Since nobody has a time machine sitting on their back porch, those responses can't be right. There is no way for people to change their answer once it is stored.

So when I said that the poll question was not working as well as I hoped, what I meant was that the poll question was not working as well as I hoped it would work. I said what I meant, and I meant what I said.

I am not trying to determine the relative percentages of those who quit, versus those who cut down, versus those who still smoke as much as they ever did. We already have that data from two different surveys as well as from a poll question here that has been around for about two years: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/polls/6470-e-cig-success-rate.html

The Percentages are

The Tobacco Harm Reduction Survey: 79% replaced all their cigarettes, 17% replaced some, 4% still smoke the same number.
The CASAA Survey: 74.7 % now use no tobacco products at all, 19.6% still some some # of cigarettes, 3.7% use snus, 2.6% smoke cigars, and some other tobacco products are used by even smaller percentages.
E-cig Success Rate Poll Question: 83.35 completely quit, 16.07 cut down on number smoked, and 0.58% only use e-cigs when they can't smoke.

The questions are all worded somewhat differently, and the results are not identical; but we do see a fairly consistent pattern in these percentages.

All I am trying to gather is a count. Damn near anything you use to help you stop smoking works better than nothing in the short-term. The pharmaceutical companies like to brag about supposedly high success rates. But their clainical trials only lasted for 12 weeks. I quoted the long term statistics for NRTs (when used as directed) in the first post.

I'm looking to see many of us have managed to STAY quit for six months, over a year, two years (longer, as time goes on). I'm not trying to compare these numbers to anything else. Just to establish that we have a significant number of people for whom these devices seem to be working more or less permanently.

Is it statisticaly valid? No. Can I get it published in scientific journal? No. But it would be great to be able to say that we have counted up over a thousand e-cigarette users who have stayed abstinent from smoking for over a year. Maybe someone who is a real scientific researcher will see that and decide to do a full-blown population study on the question of how well e-cigs work.

Yah, it does seem offensive when people tell me what my motives are. Kind of like reading the the model legislation put out by the Americans for Nonsmokers Rights. They tell the world that the only reason people choose to use an electronic cigarette is to "circumvent" anti-smoking laws.

If you want to know what my motives are, just ask. I have no hidden agenda. I am retired, living on Social Security and a small pension. I don't get paid for any of the activist work I do.

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. The problem with any conversation on a board like this is that you're always limited by the words themselves. When I read your words, I can only see that - your words. There's no body language, no eye contact. And no way to determine motive and intent except through the dry facts of text. The only other facts that anyone determine are inferences. Like the inference that you're with CASAA. That's a noble effort that hopefully will bring to the public something other than the main stream media's bias to the FDA's vilification of e-cigarettes. I understand that, and applaud the sentiments.
But when I look at the poll, and read your comment on the previous poll failure, that's all I could see.

If I misunderstood those two, it was my fault for not properly interpreting your intent, and for that I apologize.
And I'm glad that you cleared those things up for me.

I've using e-cigs now for 2 years now, and unfortunately they don't fulfill all my cravings. I'm not giving up, and they are a helping, but the frustration can wear me thin.
I'm a cynical old man who's desperately wants to quit tobacco, and maybe I'm more than a little bit jealous of those people who say they can just put down the analogs and that they have absolutely no cravings for them.

I'm sure that if we sat down face to face, and got a chance to visit - share war stories, so to speak - we'd find we have much in common. I too am retired and living on my pension. Along with nicotine addiction, we already have 3 things to talk about.
Maybe someday we'll have that opportunity.
I know that I'd find it fascinating...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread