Why ProVari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xjonquilx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
FL
Why all the comparisons of ProVari to Evic? I just got done reading the user manual to the ProVari. What the heck is so special about it that it costs twice as much as the Evic or vape-Pro????

- no variable wattage like the Evic & Vape-Pro
- minimal settings in comparison to both aforementioned devices
- two digit "alarm clock" interface... at least the Vape-Pro shows 3 digits... and the Evic has a full on readable display!
- NO PC MODE (I thought it had one like the Evic does?)

I know the rants about how sturdy it is, but I really find it hard to believe that it's any more sturdy than the Vape-Pro is... and the Vape-Pro is about $100 retail, less if you catch it on sale.

With no human readable display, minimal options in the settings, no ability change watts instead of volts, and no PC tricks like the Evic's MVR software... WHY THE HECK IS THIS device SO EXPENSIVE???? :glare:

Don't give me the "made in USA" excuse because the Vape-Pro is made in the USA also. The Vape-Pro already is marked up due to it's USA manufacturing, which can be seen when it is compared to the Evic in that it isn't nearly as advanced but still costs around the same as the Evic.

From now on, when I see someone in this forum asking if the ProVari is worth the $$$, I'm just going to tell them straight up to grab a Vape-Pro instead and save some money AND gain some more features without compromising sturdy construction.

Unless someone here knows some good reasons why the ProVari's price is so high.... ???

Soundhunter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2012
Love Field
Go on wit yo bad self then...:p

Just looked at the Vape-Pro... I'll stay with the feeble Provari and to an extent my eVic (They are not remotely equal to each other than a very cool display and needless features in which the eVic wins by a country mile) ... color me uninformed.. Im good with that

Last edited:

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
I say to each his own. I personally say if it works for you then great! I have no desire for a puff counter, VW, or to have something else that I need to plug into my computer. I do however love my 1 year warranty the solid build...I've dropped both of mines several times & the available upgrades & repairs once my device is out of warranty. However, the biggest issue I have with Provari hate is that it seems to come from people who have never used one. I researched several pv's before deciding on mines & still answer questions & advise noobs to try others first based on my research. But I've never once told anyone to buy one because the Provari was the beginning & the end. If you don't have one, have never owned one, or have never vaped using one I don't think you're in the position to say don't buy one. How about saying...'I don't own one but I do own...and this is what I think of that' instead.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I find it interesting that you can get replacement heads for the eVic. I guess Joyetech knew that it would be common for eVic users to break the heads off of their devices and that they would need to purchase replacements. In all sincerity, the way that you change settings by cranking the head left and right seems like an accident waiting to happen. I feel like devices with fewer moving parts are sturdier.

I don't mean to be a hater. I'm sure there are plenty of eVic users who are happy with their devices, and I'm very happy for them. Although I do wish that the Provari had a VW feature, there's nothing else that the eVic has that I wish the Provari had. I've never held an eVic so I can't really comment on it, but I think that the Provari is a fantastic, classy, and durable device and it's hard for me to envision anyone regretting having one or wishing they had an eVic instead. Sure, you can initially save some money by buying the eVic instead. I learned a long time ago that it's worth it to pay a extra for a nice quality pair of dress shoes, because the cheap ones are cheap by definition and they last about a fraction of the lifetime of a quality pair.

In the event that your Provari does break, you can send it to Provape for repair. I don't know if anyone fixes eVics - I think you just need to buy another one (unless the damage can be fixed by a purchasing a replacement head).

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
The Vape Pro appears to be a Zmax rebadged. Even if it is made in America, which I doubt as Totally Wicked is not an American company and sells a lot of made in China stuff, it appears to be using the same china board, which they surely wouldn't be making, as all the other 3-6v and up to 15W devices. Which leads to another thing, it doesn't hit it's limits without stacking batteries.

The Provari is expensive because it's made in America, uses a custom board that unlike the zmax/vamo is actually accurate and hits it's advertised max power with one battery and a lot of other things. More so centered around being better made than anything about menu options. The chip is a big part of it though, it doesn't have a pulsey vape like the others, minus the evic which is limited in power.

The Evic would be great if it pushed more power than an ego twist.

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I find it interesting that you can get replacement heads for the eVic. I guess Joyetech knew that it would be common for eVic users to break the heads off of their devices and that they would need to purchase replacements. In all sincerity, the way that you change settings by cranking the head left and right seems like an accident waiting to happen. I feel like devices with fewer moving parts are sturdier.

I don't mean to be a hater. I'm sure there are plenty of eVic users who are happy with their devices, and I'm very happy for them. Although I do wish that the Provari had a VW feature, there's nothing else that the eVic has that I wish the Provari had. I've never held an eVic so I can't really comment on it, but I think that the Provari is a fantastic, classy, and durable device and it's hard for me to envision anyone regretting having one or wishing they had an eVic instead. Sure, you can initially save some money by buying the eVic instead. I learned a long time ago that it's worth it to pay a extra for a nice quality pair of dress shoes, because the cheap ones are cheap by definition and they last about a fraction of the lifetime of a quality pair.

In the event that your Provari does break, you can send it to Provape for repair. I don't know if anyone fixes eVics - I think you just need to buy another one (unless the damage can be fixed by a purchasing a replacement head).

The issue with the head has already been addressed with the new version.

IMAG0263_1.jpg

There are screws reinforcing the connection. It is a much sturdier connection now. Remember, this was a new device a few months ago. Of course there are issues with it, it is still an evolving product.

I have not heard of any issues with the adjustment ring.

It is not as well made as a ProVari, no question. But it does have the ability to evolve with firmware updates, which are free.

BostonVape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
BeanTown
The Vape Pro appears to be a Zmax rebadged. Even if it is made in America, which I doubt as Totally Wicked is not an American company and sells a lot of made in China stuff, it appears to be using the same china board, which they surely wouldn't be making, as all the other 3-6v and up to 15W devices. Which leads to another thing, it doesn't hit it's limits without stacking batteries.

The Provari is expensive because it's made in America, uses a custom board that unlike the zmax/vamo is actually accurate and hits it's advertised max power with one battery and a lot of other things. More so centered around being better made than anything about menu options. The chip is a big part of it though, it doesn't have a pulsey vape like the others, minus the evic which is limited in power.

The Evic would be great if it pushed more power than an ego twist.

the evic does.. it gives you .2 more volts than the twist :)

don't use all that extra power at once!

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
i don't own a pro vari, an evic, or this vape pro thing you are talking about

i have several mods though

my next purchase is probably going to be a pro vari mini...why?

consistency, i want the last drag to taste like the first..the closest thing i have to that is the iTaste

as to all these bells and whistles you mention...who cares? if you know resistance and voltage... it IS variable wattage...and if you cant be bothered to do a slight bit of math then i dont know what to say here

im really going to buy a pro vari because vaper after vaper after vaper here says they are high quality and do what they say they are going to do...pro vape has obviously made a stellar reputation for itself..i know if i have problems, pro vape will fix those problems in a reasonable manner

so its $200 one time, so be it, i've gotten less for 200$ a lot of times in my life, this is something i plan to use everyday, it's a no brainer

razor4432

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Wisconsin
There are screws reinforcing the connection. It is a much sturdier connection now. Remember, this was a new device a few months ago. Of course there are issues with it, it is still an evolving product.

I have not heard of any issues with the adjustment ring.

It is not as well made as a ProVari, no question. But it does have the ability to evolve with firmware updates, which are free.

Firmware updates will do nothing to remedy the hardware limitations. The 2.5amp limit really annoyed me since I couldn't use any dual coil cartos (what the B&M's around here carry) and I was limited as far as coil building for my AGA-T+ is concerned, so I decided an upgrade was needed and got a ProVari. I like both but use the ProVari more simply because of the quality and you don't get a drop in vaping performance when the battery is near dead. The eVic is quite noticeable to me. I do like the simplicity of being able to check all necessary information at once on the eVic but if you're outside forget it, sunlight eliminates your ability to read the screen, this is not a problem with the ProVari.

For me, the eVic was good at deciding whether I was going to stick with the vaping and it confirmed I will and decided the upgrade was worth the money. It makes a solid backup PV to the ProVari just as my ego-C did for the eVic.

Don't take this as me absolutely bashing the eVic it's just there's better to be had for the money. It's quite frustrating that an $80-100 PV is basically no different from a $30 ego, you simply end up paying for fancy gadgets that end up not being used, atleast in my case.

And for y'all preaching "Oh but the eVic/Zmax/Vamo/Whatever is VW" who cares? It didn't matter to me one way or the other. I found I simply adjust based on taste, just as easy to do that with VV. All VW is good for is if you don't want to be bothered to adjust for a different device and be able screw it on and vape.

Last edited:

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
Oh nooooo...... here we go again.

My 2cents. Because the Provari is one proven device. Provape is the Maytag of the APV world, with a repairman handy here in the US should he be needed.

And, quite possibly, the DNA20 is the only other high tech chip that performs better.

Am I tossing my Chinese versions? No. I happen to like the lighter weight and styling of some of them. I'm fine with the vape. And, I like having some less expensive gear to use when I'm out and about.

Last edited:

KY_Rob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Kentucky
ProVari has a PWM circuit that is hands down second to no other VV or VM device. What does this mean? It means you get the smoothest, cleanest, purest vape possible on any VV device. Its nearly impossible to break under normal use. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

If you're happy with something other than a ProVari, that's fine. Enjoy yourself. But I'm telling ya, you're missing out!

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
I had to look up the VapePro because I didn't know what it was. It looked more like a marital aid than a mod. And it's very shiny. I don't think I need one. I also don't need my mod to interface with my computer, as the Evic does.

On a daily basis, I pick up either my ProVari or ProVari Mini, pick a carto tank, and vape. No fuss, no muss, no hassles. I do not care about what they cost, as I feel I got value for my money. There are very few "problem" threads on the ProVari sub-forum. And I did go straight from Twists to ProVari because I read all the other "problem" threads of all the other vv/vw devices.

Obviously, you mind is made up and I am not going to change it. Call me a fangirl, I really don't mind.

xjonquilx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
FL
I'm not hating. I just don't understand WHY. And no one can seem to come up with any logical reason besides, "you've just got to try one." In my experience, usually when someone says something like that, it's because they're a "fan boy" or "fan girl" (not saying any of YOU are, just that has been my experience on the internet from watching debates over things like which is the better OS). I just can't figure out why it is priced so high if not only for the sake of the brand, like Macs (oh boy, did I just open a can of worms there too? :p).

xjonquilx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
FL
ProVari has a PWM circuit that is hands down second to no other VV or VM device. What does this mean? It means you get the smoothest, cleanest, purest vape possible on any VV device. Its nearly impossible to break under normal use. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

If you're happy with something other than a ProVari, that's fine. Enjoy yourself. But I'm telling ya, you're missing out!

THANK YOU FOR ACTUALLY USING SOME LOGIC HERE. That makes sense....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread