Will NEW vapers be low wattage vaping in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Just curious as to your thoughts on this.

I don't like the term "tootle puffer", but it seems that it is nearly impossible to find a new mod that is less than 30w with the vast majority being 75-200w. There will likely always be cheap eGo/cigalikes out there, but I don't see a lot of these on B&M shelves. Also, beyond Nautilus tanks, there are very few non-sub-ohm tanks being released that take factory coils.

I know many of you are using Kayfuns and other "tootle puffer" rebuildables, but it is not realistic to expect a new vaper to start rebuilding immediately.

I will always have my rebuildable Kayfuns and non-rebuildable Nautilus and Triton tanks as long as Nautilus coils are available (DO NOT mention the VVTF please :nah:), but I fully expect than the majority of new vapers will be starting out sub-ohming on juice guzzling tanks (even 0.5-0.7ohms) on 50-200w mods.

Wadda think the future holds for these poor hopefully soon to be ex-smokers that will be new to everything vaping?

Kikofarakiko

Feb 13, 2017
I have an IPV Mini that tops at 30W, I'm building sub ohm coils on it as long as I'm not exceeding the 20A rated for the battery, also tried to build 1 ohm coils, nothing notable in terms of flavor, for clouds, I don't care that much for them, I'm using a Kayfun5 for the narrow drag ... I'm still wondering why I would need 200w, however, I'm struggling with the coils heating slower

Sent from my HTC One X9 dual sim using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eskie

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
the most successful chain of vape shop in town preys on the new to vape client and pushes mtl devices as starting devices. Unfortunately its all I knew for the first couple years of trying to get off the stinkies. Being dl from the start and only having mtl devices gave my lungs quite the workout. But I didn't know better and it's all they had. They are now about 80% mtl stuff. Thank god for the internet

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
For first time starters I see more pod mods as their entry. Essentially plug and play but better than a cigalike experience.

I have no issues with manufacturers churning out the 75W mods that seem the base these days. It's always easier to turn it down than have to replace something because you want to experiment but can't get above 40W without a new mod. The bigger issue is the availability of mtl tanks in the market. Yes, the Nauti 2 just came out, and there is the Nauti X series, even Smok is producing something in the area with their Spirals tank. But it's not like broad selection in the subohm market.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I predict:
2020-
USA: The market will be almost entirely cig-a-likes and pods.
DIY and hobby vapers will persist, but a new vaper will buy a BT or BP product from the corner store or filling station. (where they get their cigarettes now)
EU/UK: about the same.

Disgusted
I

IMG_20170325_132333690_zpszg5b5ds4.jpg

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
For first time starters I see more pod mods as their entry. Essentially plug and play but better than a cigalike experience.

I have no issues with manufacturers churning out the 75W mods that seem the base these days. It's always easier to turn it down than have to replace something because you want to experiment but can't get above 40W without a new mod. The bigger issue is the availability of mtl tanks in the market. Yes, the Nauti 2 just came out, and there is the Nauti X series, even Smok is producing something in the area with their Spirals tank. But it's not like broad selection in the subohm market.
Honestly it all depends on the FDA. Nearly everything we have could be gone in 18 months. I concur on Pod Mods being the way it will go (if vaping exists at all) as right now those look to be the mostly likely devices to get past the PMTA process. Other than disposable cigalikes that is.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
I started on sub ohm equipment and feel lucky that it worked for me. Having my husband or bestie try that same equipment and they can't do it without coughing their faces off. The b&m that I started out at has zero mtl equipment, it's all Cloudz Bro stuff. It's only been in searching for equipment to help my husband that I've come to find I'm enjoying kayfun styled tanks more than the whooshy sub ohm tanks. Before that, when I tried cig-a-likes, I loved the concept but hated how they tasted and felt. I think new vapers are going to have a rough go of things when/if the FDA regs go into effect.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Off-topic, but...

I have an IPV Mini that tops at 30W, I'm building sub ohm coils on it as long as I'm not exceeding the 20A rated for the battery,
*(You can't exceed 20A input [battery drain] on a mod that tops out at 30W, barring malfunction [and even then, it would likely just not work at all]. It's not about the coil resistance, on a regulated mod, but rather the wattage setting. Amp drain = Watts setting / Battery voltage. So even on a nearly dead battery -- call it 3.0v under load -- at max 30 watts you're still pulling no more than 10A from the battery. Coil resistance only matters on a mechanical or unregulated mod where you don't get to pick the wattage and it is simply determined by the coil resistance and battery voltage. In that case, Amps = Volts / Ohms [and it's still equal to watts/voltage, too, it's just that the "watts" is derived from the other values, here, instead of set by the user. "Watts" is "volts * volts/ohms" already, so figuring that and then dividing out volts is the same as just doing volts/ohms in the first place.])

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
That's an excellent question, and the outcome will partially be shaped by what will be left on the market once the dust settles from the FDA power grab.

That being said, I'd be willing to bet that the vape market, left to its own devices, would be outfitting newer vapers with high(er) powered devices than what I started out on. Which kind of makes me a little sad, because the few older and newer vapers I know just like simple, moderately powered stuff like CE4s sitting on Egos. Not everyone likes to carry around a lunchbox with a hummingbird feeder screwed on top.

If I hadn't picked up a protank 2, I would still be smoking. I can't DL and at that time had no clue how to build.
Same here. My "quit" rig was PT2/Ego C-Twist. I rapidly branched out into a couple of Anyvape "Davide" tanks because they looked familiar, lol.
(Oddly enough I just looked and they're still available, lol).

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
All depends on if our president does the FDA in and continues with abolishing the regulations. Although my favorite vape shop has many high end high powered MOD's they also have stick and smaller box MOD's and many starter kits for those seeking to quit smoking or looking for an alternative. I have never seen them pushing Sub Ohm on new vapers.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
Vape shops operate on paper thin margins these days, I honestly don't know how they even stay open.

So they don't stock things they know are gonna go on clearance anyway. I remember not that long ago every shop having baskets full of high nic juice for 5 bucks. And it sat there for months. People complian they don't stock tootle juice but the fact is people were't buying it so they quit selling it.

I recall getting serious about VW mods and telling a local store I want a good one and I ain't worried about money. So they set me up with a Provari, Kayfun, batteries, charger, wire and so on. 550 bucks with the tax. Add a back up and your over a grand.

Now that same store has to keep the lights on selling mods with tanks and batteries for 50 bucks all in.

With as tight as it is now they are not going to stock slow, or even no, moving stock.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Vaping's come a long way in a short time.
Principle's still the same though: Energy source, atty, juice.
No law or rule saying you HAVE to run your mod at max output.
Would be akin to running a car with the accelelerator pedal permanently floored.
Those 650mAh or 900mAh batteries of the past barely got you through the day.
Sporting a decent box mod on low wattage will keep you going for a very good while.
Can get the latest 200+ watts beast and dial it way down.

Gives newbies more stuff to play with. Me first ego-T I could either puff or not puff.
And there will always be a market for something like that:
People who just wanna vape without all the bells and whistles.
Pick a flavour, slot it in, get going. Button pressed, you get vapour. No button pressed, no vapour.
For every DIYer, for every RDA there's maybe five or six vapers who are perfectly ok with ready-made stuff.

Sure, liquid makers love them new toys, juice guzzlers like that are good for their business to some extent.
10ml of premium juice a day is going to eat into your wallet just as hard as smoking might do.

Then - in view of that study adressed in another huge thread - tootle puffing might get revived.
Up the nic, keep the flavour, still gets you nic fix with less total quantity of heated liquid and therefor less potential exposure to possibly harmful byproducts. No rule against it. Run your mod for all the wattage it can handle or go a week without recharging, with a decent mod you can have it any which way.

As it's been said before here. With a new mod we CAN have it either way.
Let's see if the powers that be will allow us to have it either way.

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
Vape shops operate on paper thin margins these days, I honestly don't know how they even stay open.

So they don't stock things they know are gonna go on clearance anyway. I remember not that long ago every shop having baskets full of high nic juice for 5 bucks. And it sat there for months. People complian they don't stock tootle juice but the fact is people were't buying it so they quit selling it.

I recall getting serious about VW mods and telling a local store I want a good one and I ain't worried about money. So they set me up with a Provari, Kayfun, batteries, charger, wire and so on. 550 bucks with the tax. Add a back up and your over a grand.

Now that same store has to keep the lights on selling mods with tanks and batteries for 50 bucks all in.

With as tight as it is now they are not going to stock slow, or even no, moving stock.
HAHAHAHAAA Look at their margins on juice... Its just like printer manufacturers. To buy a printer is dirt cheap. To replace with full sized ink cartridges it costs more than the damn printer... look and you will see how they stay in business.... silly to sell only juice and not offer devices to a newbie to keep them coming back for the consumable... Then you have shops like i have around here one chain in particular has about 8+ shops around town and they are still a 2x markup on all mods, and juice HAHAHA not even close to competitive, BUT they also carry a lot more newbie gear for tootle puffers and newbs alike so that is how they stay in business..

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
HAHAHAHAAA Look at their margins on juice... Its just like printer manufacturers. To buy a printer is dirt cheap. To replace with full sized ink cartridges it costs more than the damn printer... look and you will see how they stay in business.... silly to sell only juice and not offer devices to a newbie to keep them coming back for the consumable... Then you have shops like i have around here one chain in particular has about 8+ shops around town and they are still a 2x markup on all mods, and juice HAHAHA not even close to competitive, BUT they also carry a lot more newbie gear for tootle puffers and newbs alike so that is how they stay in business..

The razor blade model is going to kill the B&M stores when they can no longer mix their own juices for markup. That's how the deeming regs will end in person retail, even if devices do remain available.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY

Most of the "high end" juice is prolly 15 bucks a bottle. They most likely get it for 12ish wholesale. My mind can't begin to wrap itself around how many bottles of 3 dollar profit juice they would have to sell just to be worth opening the doors

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
The razor blade model is going to kill the B&M stores when they can no longer mix their own juices for markup. That's how the deeming regs will end in person retail, even if devices do remain available.

Now that was a cash cow!!!!

When I started I went to a shop that mixed me up my 18mg menthol. Buck a mil back then. 10 bucks for 30 cents worth of stuff. Profits on juice 2 years ago where absolutely nutz.

Reactions: Eskie

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
From what my local "main" store owner tells me, most new vapers that go for quitting smoking go with the smaller devices (EGO AIO type or similar), and the "advanced" crowd is not really his main clientele.

But that in time, anyone that catches the "bug" will upgrade fairly fast and usually go bigger in time.

The way I see it.. why not go with a decent mod that one won't regret down the road... I know that if I knew then what I know now, there's a lot of my earlier gear that I wouldn't have wasted my money on.

It's not like because you have a 150W (+) mod that you HAVE to go large, heck, all my 100w+ mods I have, I got for the dual battery life, and rarely go over 45-60w... but at least I have the option should I need more power should I feel like making a crazy build and/or get a heavy power tank/RDA.

And sub-ohm now doesn't really mean much with regulated mods anyways... once can get a decent tank that has flexibility, one can simply adjust the airflow and wattage (or TC) for a beginner's level and increase it as needed (as required).

p.s. your Triton coil cartridges are very easily rebuildable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread