Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
"The teen from Nevada said he had no idea his vape could explode, according to Russell. He repeated the line over and over again in the emergency room"

Repetitive explanation of what he didn't know, he knew, and I bet $20 it was a Mech.

Thousands of exploding vapor products? I think they are pading that number just a bit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Isn't the legal age to buy vape products in Nevada 18?

Isn't the teen in question 17?
So far yes, our new so called Govenor hasn't signed the 21+ bill yet, but he has a drawer full of pens and he's using ALL of them![emoji35]

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
"The teen from Nevada said he had no idea his vape could explode, according to Russell. He repeated the line over and over again in the emergency room"

Repetitive explanation of what he didn't know, he knew, and I bet $20 it was a Mech.

Thousands of exploding vapor products? I think they are pading that number just a bit.

Agree, thousands is excessive unless she's lumping in all the cell phones, hover boards, Teslas etc. that have gone poof.

On the one hand, I'm skeptical because mechs aren't particularly popular anymore and haven't been for a few years now.

On the other hand, a "pipe bomb" type of device seems to me the most likely explanation for the busted jaw he's got.

Always seems to be a mech that causes problems like this. Actually, it's ignorance of proper batteries and their use by the user. But we all know that.

@Baditude, some new images for your photo files. ;)

That really had to hurt, I feel bad for him. Mom and son immediately quit vaping. Did they go back to smoking?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Anyone catch the model/brand of battery that the vape shop guy was holding in his interview? It was a Panasonic NCR18650B battery. This specific battery only has a 6.8 amp continuous discharge rate. Why is a vape shop associate selling such a battery for vaping in his store?

:danger:

This battery is unacceptable to use due to inadequate amps for 99% of vape applications. A vape shop associate should know which batteries are applicable for use for vaping, and this battery has no business being in a vape shop, period. If this guy sold this battery for a mech mod using a sub-ohm atomizer then he could be charged for negligence

PANASONIC NCR18650B 6.8A 3400MAH FLAT TOP BATTERY - GENUINE

upload_2019-6-20_10-39-0.png

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Although the teen maybe underage, there are many ways to acquire age restricted products. EBay, Craigslist etc. Even asking an adult to purchase the device for you. I had a kid who must have been 12 – 13 at most ask me to buy him a vape. I am sure I am not alone admitting to purchasing alcohol or cigarettes when underage.

@Baditude – I agree with you 10000+%, but there is no saying that is what caused the explosion. The battery being displayed could have just been used as an example.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Last edited:

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
Did you catch this?

"A blog post by the Massachusetts General Research Institute says that open systems — which use rechargeable batteries with reservoirs that can be filled with e-liquid — are generally less safe than closed systems, which use pre-filled, disposable cartridges that attach to a rechargeable battery, or single-use products that cannot be recharged."

That's certainly not my opinion.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Did you catch this?

"A blog post by the Massachusetts General Research Institute says that open systems — which use rechargeable batteries with reservoirs that can be filled with e-liquid — are generally less safe than closed systems, which use pre-filled, disposable cartridges that attach to a rechargeable battery, or single-use products that cannot be recharged."

New proposed FDA and UL guidelines for e-cigarette manufacturers that will affect YOU.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Let me understand this. The Mother bought her son a mech mod with a battery that was not appropriate for vaping. And it exploded.

The next question is, did she get that battery from a vape shop? Surely, they would know better, right?
I haven't seen it reported what battery was in the mod which exploded, and we may never know. I just thought it odd that the store worker was holding a battery inappropriate for most mods while conducting the interview.

And I have seen vape shops in which the only batteries they sold were MXJO and Imren batteries with false ratings on them. My own son bought Imren batteries because the salesman in the vape shop said it was the best battery available; obviously he never consulted me first. :rolleyes:

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Ran into this article today which was quite interesting even though a bit of it was old news. I didn't know 18650s were banned from being sold on Amazon, even though they're listed there. Essentially it's about lithium-ion batteries in general, not to mention Amazon's poor handling of problems with them. And gems like this:

An untold number of lithium-ion-battery incidents go unreported, and no one agency tracks them. But the U.S. Fire Administration declared the batteries the “root cause” of at least 195 separate fires and explosions from 2009 to 2017. The Federal Aviation Administration has reported a few hundred incidents of smoke, fire, extreme heat, or explosions involving lithium-ion or unknown batteries in flight cargo or passenger baggage. And there were 49 recalls of high-energy-density batteries from 2012 to 2017, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, concerning more than 4 million devices, including mobile phones, scooters, power tools, and laptops.

And:

In the case of batteries, batches of lithium-ion cells made in China that don’t pass inspection sometimes end up listed by sellers on Amazon, said Michael Rohwer, a director of Business for Social Responsibility, a nonprofit that works with companies on their supply-chain practices.

And:

Battery makers, meanwhile, place the blame on consumers, for buying the things in the first place. George Kerchner is the executive director of the Portable Rechargeable Battery Association, which represents manufacturers. He argues that consumers simply should not be handling many types of lithium-ion batteries—particularly the 18650, which is slightly larger than a AA battery and is one of the most commonly problematic lithium-ion batteries—themselves. “If someone is using a lithium-ion battery for something other than which it was designed,” he said, “that’s out of the control of manufacturers.” Consumers simply should not be able to walk into a retail store and find a 18650 battery, Kerchner told me.

Plus other stuff. When Your Amazon Purchase Explodes

The Tesla Gigafactory is 12 miles away from me, I will probably feel the blast from the explosion. [emoji312]

Had to look it up but yikes! If it goes it'll probably set of the San Adreas Fault so we'll feel it. :facepalm:

She broke the law, and is legally responsible for what occured to her own son.

Memory must be faulty but I thought it was legal for a parent to give tobacco or alcohol to their children in their home.

Did you catch this?

yeah, I'd give it the steaming pile rating.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Memory must be faulty but I thought it was legal for a parent to give tobacco or alcohol to their children in their home.
I don't recall, but exactly where did the explosion occur? Inside or outside of the home? Probably doesn't matter.

I can only speak about Ohio, but a few years ago when I worked for a vape shop, one had to be 18 or above to purchase or use cigarettes or e-cigarettes. We had teens coming into our shop with their mom or dad, picking out what device to buy. Of course, as sales associates, we kept an eye on them and when it came time to buy it we had to refuse the sale. They would argue, "but its really for me, not my son." "Sorry, we've been watching you since you both entered the store, and its pretty obvious you're trying to buy it for him. No can do."

We've even had the parent return to the store a day or two later, hoping we wouldn't recognize him/her or would get a different sale associate. Again, no can do. If we sales associates knowingly sold any vape items to someone who couldn't provide a valid photo ID, or even if the potential customer "looked" younger than 18, we could refuse sale or we would be fired on the spot. We all took that very seriously.

In Ohio, parents can be fined and serve jail sentence for allowing a minor to "use" a vape product. Currently, legal age in Ohio is 18, but there is legislation at this time to move it to 21, "for the sake of the children".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread