100% safe battery don't exist?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiorgiS

Jun 7, 2015
Hi,

i searched the forum and could not find anything similar to my post/question

i won't start the basic things, ohms law, charging safely, checking amp limits and so on. i know all that's needed to vaping safe. (at least i thought so)

my first VW device:
Eleaf iStick 50W <--- got 2 of those one of my first mods, within a month, one had autofire problems, another one just shut off one day (was not even discharged) and never went on again.
after iStick 50W did fail on me so badly, i started investigating on the web, saw a few photos.. u know what i mean, battery on fire burning carpet etc... so i said i won't ever buy eleaf products anymore.

but i changed my mind, and now i have two eleaf products and those are my favotires,
my current equipment:
Eleaf iJust2 kit .3ohm coils
another Eleaf iJust2 battery with Eleaf Melo2 Tank .3 ohm coils
Joyetech Ego One Mega full kit. Battery, Tank etc... .5 ohm coils (but these seem not enough for me now, and i rarely use them
Heatvape Invader Mini (using with both Joyetech or Eleaf tanks for TC) rarely...

my backup equipment: in case all my mods fail, blow up, die, burn etc :D
SMPL mod (clone, i don't mind buying the authentic one, but i saw many reviews and everyone stated that the clone is even better, so i bought this one because i wanted a small mech mod just for "emergency situations" if my other devices fail and don't work etc...) and Archon RDA by Cloud chasers inc (authentic)

and considering i follow all the rules (for example in my mech mod i use sony vtc4 it has 30 amp continuous amp load rating, i never load it over 15-18 amps.

recently, i saw a few incidents on the web, one guy in coma, another guy lost his teeth...
both videos state those dudes just take the mod and as soon as they press the button, the battery exploded in their face, one of them was using a mech mod. allright, he might be using bad battery, bad coil, over(dis)charged his battery or anything else, and i can assume since i`m following all the rules strictly such thing won't happen to me, BUT since assumptions start out of a s s ... and since the other guy's sister (the one that's in coma) stated that he bought a brand new regulated vw mod and as soon as he pulled his first draw the battery exploded in his face, i want to make sure i did not miss anything.

is there actually a chance that a battery EXPLODES right in your face INSTANTLY?! i mean a battery from Eleaf or Joyetech or TESLA or other well-known brands? I don't mind it to heat up withing 10-20 seconds and catching fire and burning and venting.... but BLOW UP instantly? is that possible?

you know what i mean, i want to be sure... even though i follow all the safety rules and there is just a 0.001% chance prolly that something will go wrong... when u do something every day, 15 hours a day, there is a big chance that those .001%'s time will also come one day, and i don't want to loose my Jaw by that time :D

so i want to be sure if something goes wrong i have at least 10-20 seconds to react, put the battery under water, move it away from my face... from other people, and so on.

huh! i`m glad if you made it this far, tried to explain everything in detail,

thank's for help in advance!

peace!

Reactions: WillyZee

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
How can you tell that a handgrenade is about to go off ?
Its girth increases and cracks appear on the outer casing
(Excerpt from the 'Infantry Soldier's Manual' - Vapistan Army Library)

If you are THAT worried, you might want to get rid of your cellphone, your tablet, your laptop, etc. as well.

All these devices use the same technology. In laptops its even 6 to 8 cells daisy-chained and when you're running a gfx-hungry program, your lap does get very warm indeed...

Explosion ? Not really. Term for it is thermal runaway. And there is a bit of ramp-up time, which can be as little as a few seconds in a faulty battery. So if your mod ( or anything with batteries in it ) gets very warm very fast, put some distance between that item and your hide...

That's why mods have vent holes or break-away covers.

On the other hand, taking into account the billions of batteries that are in use all over the planet, the number of incidents appears to very low.

But 100% ? Absolutely, positively 100% ? Nope, can't have that. Not with anything. That's one of life'S inherent risks : living it :)

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
Funny thing. In all of the stories of "exploding" ecigs, they never mention the hardware. Nor is there a follow up investigation into how they treated the device nor what they were doing with it leading up to the incident.

Most of these sound like "that tree jumped right in front of my car"

Bobw1951

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
London, UK
One of the main things to remember especially with 18650 type batteries is that a lot of them on the market are re-wraps of Sony, Samsung, LG & Panasonic batteries, mainly those that haven't passed their strict testing to be sold by them, but are still okay to use, the other is that high mAh does not mean safer to use at low resistance, in fact it is just the opposite, most 2000mAh batteries are safer than 3000 mAh ones, and don't go by what is printed on the batteries, especially eFest ones, those purple ones marked 35A are really only 20A continuous.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Lithium batteries contain a lot of potential energy. That's why this chemistry is so popular for devices requiring high current capacity. However, when a battery shorts out it will vent gas, and in rare cases shoot flames or actually explode.

How powerful a thermal runaway (battery venting) event will be is impossible to predict. It could be instantaneous, but in most cases it will take a few seconds... long enough for the fire button or mod body to feel hot. That's not to say that a violent release of gas could not occur within a second or two.

I would venture to say that all mod explosions have been mechanical mods. Regulated mods have protection circuitry which protects against short circuits, putting a battery in backwards, over discharging a battery, prolonged compression of the fire button, etc.

I would also venture to say that the mech mods which have exploded were using sub-ohm coils, which task batteries to their upper limits; were using re-wrapped batteries with inflated battery specs or were even using the wrong kind of batteries; had inadequate ventilation holes in metal tube mods; and/or were faux hybrid/direct battery mechanical mods which were using the incorrect juice delivery attachment.

I used to work in a vape shop, and I've come across quite of few folks who were using ICR batteries with sub-ohm builds; building coils @ 0.1 ohm (which is unsafe with any battery); I myself have had a battery vent when my mod's fire button was compressed in a pants pocket for a prolonged period of time (my bonehead moment).

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

You'd have a hard time getting a battery to vent in a regulated mod. It has protection circuitry which will shut itself down when there is a hard short, when the battery is accidentally put in reverse, and protects against prolonged firing of the button (timed auto cutoff) and over-discharge of the battery.

Last edited:

GiorgiS

Jun 7, 2015
Funny thing. In all of the stories of "exploding" ecigs, they never mention the hardware. Nor is there a follow up investigation into how they treated the device nor what they were doing with it leading up to the incident.

Most of these sound like "that tree jumped right in front of my car"

that!

i saw the dude saying in the video "they did not warn us"
ARE YOU SERIOUS?! THEY DID NOT WARN THEM< WHO???? lol.. all i see around the web is BATTERY SAFETY how can any1 say they have not been warned.

i STRONGLY hope those incidents were caused from the stupidity of their users itself, and after that, the cigarette companies/advocates/vape enemies whatever you want to call them, hyped all that "DANGER" into our faces... i hope it is that way.

Reactions: Toronnah

GiorgiS

Jun 7, 2015
Rest the mod after charging, aim the mod away from face when first pushing button. Vape until you're off smoking, then quit.

Yes as i said, i follow all the safety rules, my mods get nowhere NEAR hot... barely warm. i do not use 2 battery units, because u know... 1 venting battery = bad, 2 = worse :D

and one more thing... i do not want to quit vaping, it's fun and safe ( mosly :p )

GiorgiS

Jun 7, 2015
Lithium batteries contain a lot of potential energy. That's why this chemistry is so popular for devices requiring high current capacity. However, when a battery shorts out it will vent gas, and in rare cases shoot flames or actually explode.

How powerful a thermal runaway (battery venting) event will be is impossible to predict. It could be instantaneous, but in most cases it will take a few seconds... long enough for the fire button or mod body to feel hot. That's not to say that a violent release of gas could not occur within a second or two.

I would venture to say that all mod explosions have been mechanical mods. Regulated mods have protection circuitry which protects against short circuits, putting a battery in backwards, over discharging a battery, prolonged compression of the fire button, etc.

I would also venture to say that the mech mods which have exploded were using sub-ohm coils, which task batteries to their upper limits; were using re-wrapped batteries with inflated battery specs or were even using the wrong kind of batteries; had inadequate ventilation holes in metal tube mods; and/or were faux hybrid/direct battery mechanical mods which were using the incorrect juice delivery attachment.

I used to work in a vape shop, and I've come across quite of few folks who were using ICR batteries with sub-ohm builds; building coils @ 0.1 ohm (which is unsafe with any battery); I myself have had a battery vent when my mod's fire button was compressed in a pants pocket for a prolonged period of time (my bonehead moment).

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

You'd have a hard time getting a battery to vent in a regulated mod. It has protection circuitry which will shut itself down when there is a hard short, when the battery is accidentally put in reverse, and protects against prolonged firing of the button (timed auto cutoff) and over-discharge of the battery.

thank's for the reply, actually .1 ohm is not that extreme, you just have to use 2 or more battery mod for that build, i have seen people doing that with a single batter mech mod, but that's pretty sick.

i have read all possible guides on the web, about battery safety, ohms law etc... but thank's for the links

and finally, there is no other build than sub-ohm build actually... .5 ohm on a unregulated mod is alrady a joke, anything under 50W is low for me, so yeah, i do sub ohm, always

mostly i use .3 ohm as all day vape and 15 ml of 3mg vape-juice

GiorgiS

Jun 7, 2015
One of the main things to remember especially with 18650 type batteries is that a lot of them on the market are re-wraps of Sony, Samsung, LG & Panasonic batteries, mainly those that haven't passed their strict testing to be sold by them, but are still okay to use, the other is that high mAh does not mean safer to use at low resistance, in fact it is just the opposite, most 2000mAh batteries are safer than 3000 mAh ones, and don't go by what is printed on the batteries, especially eFest ones, those purple ones marked 35A are really only 20A continuous.

right, i know about that too. i only use sony VTC4 at this moment, i use them rarely. my mech mod is just a backup vape, i mostly use eleaf ijust2 battery with melo2 tank .3 ohm coils.

also, i buy those sony batteries from a good source, and i`m sure they are authentic, i also load them with only 2/3 of continuous amp rating. and nowhere ever close to its pulse amp rating.

GiorgiS

Jun 7, 2015
How can you tell that a handgrenade is about to go off ?
Its girth increases and cracks appear on the outer casing
(Excerpt from the 'Infantry Soldier's Manual' - Vapistan Army Library)

If you are THAT worried, you might want to get rid of your cellphone, your tablet, your laptop, etc. as well.

All these devices use the same technology. In laptops its even 6 to 8 cells daisy-chained and when you're running a gfx-hungry program, your lap does get very warm indeed...

Explosion ? Not really. Term for it is thermal runaway. And there is a bit of ramp-up time, which can be as little as a few seconds in a faulty battery. So if your mod ( or anything with batteries in it ) gets very warm very fast, put some distance between that item and your hide...

That's why mods have vent holes or break-away covers.

On the other hand, taking into account the billions of batteries that are in use all over the planet, the number of incidents appears to very low.

But 100% ? Absolutely, positively 100% ? Nope, can't have that. Not with anything. That's one of life'S inherent risks : living it :)

funny an "ultra member" here on e-cig forum compares a laptop battery to a mod....

that sounded sarcastic.

laptops might get hot and malfunction, vent batteries etc... but they are nowhere near the extreme load that our mods are pulling... just an example an my ijust2 battery pulls 60 watts each time i vape... no other laptop loads its battery cells by 60W each... ever... ever...

please do not compare a cellphone or a laptop battery to an e-cig one.... that looks silly.

Brethauer04

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2016
Battery safety is always on my mind and I only use regulated devices (Meaning that I do not take for granted that my "regulated" device will protect me). But in order to be safe, I think battery safety has to be on the mind most of the time. In other words, be responsible and respect your device. Same thing with driving a car. Respect the rules of the road and your chances of getting into a serious accident are that much less likely. Drive like an idiot, and the risk goes up.

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
funny an "ultra member" here on e-cig forum compares a laptop battery to a mod....

that sounded sarcastic.

laptops might get hot and malfunction, vent batteries etc... but they are nowhere near the extreme load that our mods are pulling... just an example an my ijust2 battery pulls 60 watts each time i vape... no other laptop loads its battery cells by 60W each... ever... ever...

please do not compare a cellphone or a laptop battery to an e-cig one.... that looks silly.

Modern cordless power tools are using lithium power cells. I'd say they are running higher drains than ecigs.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
Please forgive my rant. NOTHING on this earth is 100% safe. There is risk in everything. One takes measures to minimize the risk. Most of that is common sense. Cars crash. Airplanes fall out of the sky. Most accidents occur in the home. I find it so irritating there seems to be such a demand vaping should be 100% safe. It can not be!

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Follow some basic rules of battery safety and you'll be alright.

1. Buy genuine batteries of a known CDR from a reputable vendor. Check Mooch's blog
2. Do not exceed the CDR of the battery. Do the maths, use an online calculator or ask here if you are unsure how many amps are being drawn from your batteries in a given setup. The CDR will drop with age and/or abuse.
3. Do not short the battery. Check your build before use for shorts, and make sure the positive 510 on your atty protrudes at least 1mm if you are using a hybrid style mod.
4. Inspect the wraps of batteries every time you remove one from your mod, and replace it if it's damaged.
5. Charge slowly at a low amperage and let them sit for at least an hour after charging.
6. Recycle them after 300 charges or 1 year, which ever comes first.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Recycle them after 300 charges or 1 year, which ever comes first.
Why? Particularly the one year thing. I've got some spares in stock that are now a year old, with zero cycles on them. I'm supposed to ditch them? Sorry, but I see no reason to do that.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
You misunderstood me, I meant one year of use. Why? Because who can count battery cycles and batteries are cheap, so why take the risk. Also the CDR of a battery will drop over time dependant on use/abuse. So towards the end of it's useful life, calculating what safe amp draw becomes a bit of a lottery.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
Personally, I don't own a hybrid mech mod like SMPL but I believe your best advice is already stated above. One thing I avoid NOW is to use tank systems (sub ohm and the like) with a mech...period!

Arm yourself with knowledge, be meticulous with battery use and handling and take patient care by letting batteries rest before and after charging. test, test test!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread