Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
the IMR 14500s
Well IMRs have a higher discharge rate, but along with that is also the abilty to charge them at a higher rate.

From the main 'office' of AW.

IMR14500 Specifications :

Nominal Voltage : 3.7V
Capacity : 600mAH
Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V
Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 1.5A )
Cycle Life : > 500 cycles
Max. continuous discharge rate : 4A

Seems charging at 1A ( which is only ~67% of the max rate) should be fine and speedy.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Well IMRs have a higher discharge rate, but along with that is also the abilty to charge them at a higher rate.

From the main 'office' of AW.

Seems charging at 1A ( which is only ~67% of the max rate) should be fine and speedy.

Thank you for that I was concerned because My Reo mini kept draining them so low. I was constantly hitting them w the meter because I thought it was a problem.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Hey what happens when a battery reaches the manufacturers listed life cycle? Does it just stop taking a charge or something?
Long before that point performance will suffer greatly. As capacity drops so will your initial loaded volts. In a VV mod using stacked cells it just means shorter vapetimes. But in a single, unfettered cell mod this drop in performance and vape quality will start to become apparent much, much sooner.

Check out these charts from two premier manufacturers.

Capacity_COMP_-_3.jpg

So it would appear the Sanyo has taken a ~10% hit at about 150 cycles.

You will also hear tons of anecdotal evidence of how long AW cells last and why they are worth the money. It's the nature of the beast, every day, every charge sucks a little life out of ANY cell.

When I first heard about the high drain 18650 Panasonic cell I saw this rather amazing test, the AWs look owned.

awvsck3a.gif

But I should have paid more attention to the fine print. The Panasonics were new, the AW were not.

I keep reading words like "reliability", "durability" and "long-term" when talking about reasons to buy AWs. So it stands to reason that the AW should be able to hold is own after a year or so. These 9 runs were all done TODAY (8/23/11).

Usage: Not much. Occasionally would fill in for a LiCo in a 1.4A light and rarely run a ROP Hi. Most of the time they have been stored. Some of that time was fully charged just sitting on the shelf and the rest of the time was stored @ 3.8v in the fridge.The cells have never sat after being discharged and I followed charging guidelines specified by AW, but almost always charged them at or above 1C.

Now compare that chart to SuperT's new vs.new test.

PanasonicVAW18650IMR.jpg

The new AWs do quite well, holding a higher voltage over the Panasonics for their stated mAh.

Food for thought. :)

NickZac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland--US
Hey what happens when a battery reaches the manufacturers listed life cycle? Does it just stop taking a charge or something?

Generally speaking, 80% is considered the end of "normal service life" and is when batteries should be replaced not just due to the lack of capacity but due to the wear and tear they will have received by this point.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Generally speaking, 80% is considered the end of "normal service life" and is when batteries should be replaced not just due to the lack of capacity but due to the wear and tear they will have received by this point.

Thats only a life cycle of 200 cycles.....

NickZac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland--US
Thats only a life cycle of 200 cycles.....

It completely varies and is based on a few factors. With LiFePO4, that would be between 2,000 to 3,000 cycles as lithium iron (not the r) has an exceptionally long service life. Lithium polymer batteries in the Apple MacBook Pro are rated at 1,000 full cycle chargers until 80% of original capacity. With LiMn's (the AW IMRs) like the 18650, the service life would be around 500, give or take. Protected batteries of the same size used to be around 300-ish. However, the new AWs using NNP extends this service life to the 500 mark, give or take. On some of the lower end cigarette-like ecigs, the service life could be even below the 150 mark. On the higher end ones (such as Halo's G6), around 300 is pretty standard.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
So this is kind of off topic but its my thread so IMO that makes it ok. I just took 2 AW IMR 14500s out of my Madvapes VV Box mod and put them on my XTAR. 1 of the lights would not go red. I took the batt out and metered it and it read 1.01 volts. Holy crap how can that happen. These batts are like 3 weeks old. I meter them every couple of days and have been keepiong a log and like clockwork they have both been perfect until just now. Any thoughts? Obviously this batt is going off to recycle. By the way while you/whoever may be responding to this where can I recycle these batts?

NickZac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland--US
I was referring to the batts I started the thread about. The AW IMR 14500 and the protected AW 14500. What is AW NNP?

The NNP is AW's new technology on their batteries which has extended service life. On the protected versions, it also seems that they hold a slightly higher voltage under load throughout the entire drain.

So this is kind of off topic but its my thread so IMO that makes it ok. I just took 2 AW IMR 14500s out of my Madvapes VV Box mod and put them on my XTAR. 1 of the lights would not go red. I took the batt out and metered it and it read 1.01 volts. Holy crap how can that happen. These batts are like 3 weeks old. I meter them every couple of days and have been keepiong a log and like clockwork they have both been perfect until just now. Any thoughts? Obviously this batt is going off to recycle. By the way while you/whoever may be responding to this where can I recycle these batts?

Did you clean the contacts of the battery? I am not familiar with the XTAR 2 but it is supposed to be a very good unit. So I imagine it has a general fault notice such as something blinking. If it just would not turn red and it has a general fault ability, there may be something on the contacts preventing you from getting an accurate reading and it getting a charge. If that isnt the case, then it is likely a partially defective battery that only gave out once it was put under load a few times.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
My pila charges my 14500's at 600mha. No issue and the charge takes just under an hour.
My XTAR has 2 options, .5 amp and 1 amp. So for the AW IMR 14500s, the Orbtronic Hybrid IMR 18650, and the Nhaler IMR 18650 I use 1 amp. Then for the AW protected 14500 I use .5 amp. Does that sound good?

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
That sounds reasonable. Personally I would charge the AW IMR 14500 at 500 mA, under the old rule of thumb (keep max charge current under 1C), but the specific cell is rated for up to 1.5A, so 1A should be fine. (a specific vendor recommendation trumps conventional wisdom on what is allowable, although the 500 mA charge rate would also certainly be acceptable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread