Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Did they throw it back up? We don't actually know what a lethal dose of nicotine is. There are numbers that get quoted, but people have traced those quotes back and there is no actual evidence that the numbers are accurate. Afaik the only confirmed deaths due to nicotine overdose involved injection, not ingestion. That's not to say people shouldn't still be cautious. I don't enjoy being nauseous.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I've swallowed a "large drop" of 100mg/ml nic in VG before, in the name of science. First I left it on the back of my hand for 15 minutes to test for any potential skin irritation -- none was experienced -- after which I licked it off. It was kind of "warm" on my tongue, and fairly "spicy." Like store-bought "medium" hot sauce levels of heat, but without any actual flavor. I estimate I ingested about 5mg of nicotine, in total (assuming 1 drop = 1/20 of a ml, at 100mg/ml). I experienced no ill effects. It's hard to say what 300x the dose might be like, though.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
I've swallowed a "large drop" of 100mg/ml nic in VG before, in the name of science. First I left it on the back of my hand for 15 minutes to test for any potential skin irritation -- none was experienced -- after which I licked it off. It was kind of "warm" on my tongue, and fairly "spicy." Like store-bought "medium" hot sauce levels of heat, but without any actual flavor. I estimate I ingested about 5mg of nicotine, in total (assuming 1 drop = 1/20 of a ml, at 100mg/ml). I experienced no ill effects. It's hard to say what 300x the dose might be like, though.

Aye! With every bottle of 100mg I open I feel the need to test its potency. Little quezy, but a-ok in a few minutes. Its quite the nic kick. LOL.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I don't think this is something we should dismiss, or put any message out there that indicates 'it's not that bad', or 'the dangers are overblown'.
The dangers of physical contact with high nic concentrations has a lot to do with a person's physical condition to begin with. If the person is older, or has had a history of cardio vascular issues, there's more danger than a person who is young and healthy.
I've been making all my own juice for nearly 6 years, and I still buy my nic base at 48mg/ml. I'm not comfortable handling higher; because I'm older, and have a history of cardio vascular issues. It's one reason I quit smoking and took up vaping in the first place.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
I wonder what their EKG looked like before and after the experiment. 15mg of nicotine per kg of bady mass is a large dose and most likely caused damage. A lethal dose for humans is not well established. Mice have trouble metabolizing nicotine and it become lethal at 3.3mg/kg. But, rats don't typically drop off till 50mg/kg.

A 4000mg suicide attempt was survived with the help of vomiting. How much nicotine kills a human? Tracing back the generally accepted lethal dose to dubious self-experiments in the nineteenth century

Edit: same paper as above, doh't!

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
I don't think this is something we should dismiss, or put any message out there that indicates 'it's not that bad', or 'the dangers are overblown'.
We also don't need to make it appear more dangerous as it is either. Safety matters, yes. Don't store your juice where kids/pets have access and handle it properly.
However, nobody has to panic if they spill a little Nic on their hands. You´ll be fine.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
The dangers of physical contact with high nic concentrations has a lot to do with a person's physical condition to begin with. If the person is older, or has had a history of cardio vascular issues, there's more danger than a person who is young and healthy.
I've been making all my own juice for nearly 6 years, and I still buy my nic base at 48mg/ml. I'm not comfortable handling higher; because I'm older, and have a history of cardio vascular issues. It's one reason I quit smoking and took up vaping in the first place.

No one is suggesting "dismissing" the archaic, unsupported, incorrect data...
Just recognizing it for what it really is and using critical thinking to understand the reality of the situation.

The data is flawed.
Getting bent over BS isnt helping anyone.

Reactions: daviedog

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I would rather drink 100mg nic than bleach or antifreeze... Just sayin'. ;)

I am careful when mixing it, but it doesn't look like a scene from Breaking Bad when I do. I wear my regular glasses and clothes and if I get some on me, I don't freak out. The stuff isn't gonna kill you unless you are trying to harm yourself or are not right in the head.

I would be very interested in knowing how much is lethal but I would bet it is a substantial amount. Wasn't there a case where a youngster drank a full bottle or two of ejuice fairly recently? 4000mg is a lot in any case.... 40ml of straight 100mg or about 22 30ml bottles of 6mg ejuice. :eek:

Reactions: Riplea
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread