Nicotine Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumbafox

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2010
bellerose NY
I had an bad experience where i accidentally ingested about 5 ml of 36 mg/ml juice. That would be 180 mg nicotine. I should have died but I did not even get sick.

So I wanted to test the nic juice I ingested. Still had plenty left. It was DIY stock.

I found a testing kit at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200653764972

After figuring out how to use the kit I tested the same juice I ingested and it tested at 9.45mg/ml. I was safely within the survival range because supplier either made a mistake on a 500ml bottle of 36mg/ml nicotine base juice or sold me diluted juice.

I tested another suppliers 10% 100 mg/ml juice and the juice tested at 9.8% or 98mg/ml so I think the test works pretty well.

From now on I want to test all my juice. We have to remember to be careful.

Thank You

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2011
Orlando
Confused_Emoticon_by_TearDropps.jpg

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
That's still about 47 mg. (9.45 x 5)

Wikipedia states that 40-60 mg can be a lethal dose for humans. So why didn't you even get sick ?
That's a long way from being lethal.

I've always suspected that the numbers they quote were awfully low. I wonder what the real number is ?

He didn't get sick because nicotine is an alkaloid and it hit the stomach and was hit with an acid.

:)

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Bring on the FDA. Of course somehow we'll end up with health code for accidents while standing on one's head and setting a bottle of juice on fire...

I did not mention anything about the FDA ... as I have stated many times, the industry vendors / distributors and manufacturers need to get off their duffs and self regulate .. how else can you expect any quality / ??

But then again, maybe you are comfortable with inhaling a vapor that you have no absolute idea of exactly what's in it ..

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I cannot conceive of any way someone could "accidentally ingest" a bottle of juice.
I am not saying you did or didn't just that it is hard for me to imagine it happening.
Please tell us how or why you did this?
C.B.

I'm thinking maybe he did the calculations incorrectly and the juice he made was 36 mg. and he vaped 5 ml of it?

He bought a 500ml bottle of 36mg/ml nicotine base. Just by adding flavoring it wouldn't still be 36 mg anyway.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
My point is this .. the ban and/or regulation that so many on this Forum fear, will likely be initiated the day some person gets a bad liquid batch and ends up in the ER and it makes National News

Or a bad battery explodes .. use your own imagination ..

I'm not ready to DIY either, but we need to face reality ..

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
People die every day from cigarettes. The FDA hasn't banned them, just put scarey pictures on the packs.

I've read very little on this board about people getting sick as a direct result of vaping. Maybe some headaches or allergy issues and they aren't that common. Most of us have quite a tolerance for nicotine, and from years of smoking we know when we've had enough.

I'm still not clear what the issue is with the OP. Is he saying the base he purchased wasn't actually 36 mg?

mjradik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2011
Columbia, MD
Accoring to the OP Post, he bought 500ml of 36mg NIC juice. Somehow, don't ask me how, he drank 5 ml of that. How that happened is beyond me. What he is saying that he didn't get sick because when he tested the strength of the nicotine, it was only about 10mg, so he got diluted juice from his supplier. So he only ingested 50mg, not 180mg.

For the other people that asked how dangerous nic is. Yes 60mg can kill a heathly NON-SMOKING adult. It takes up to 120mg to kill a adult smoker because thier bodies are used to nicotine. Nicotine on skin is absorbed in to blood stream. Nicotine in the mouth is still absorbed into the blood stream. Nicotine swallowed is still absorbed, but your body gets less of it because your stomach acid does break it down a little, but still dangrouos. I wouldn't have a clue how much your stomach acid helps.

I agree with self-regulation among suppliers. I mean they can be sellling diluted juice, and 99% of the population wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 12 and 18mg nic. Thats why I personally make my own juice because, I test everything I get in, to keep the supplier honest, and I know EXACTLY what I'm vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread