18350 Battery Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleMissVapor

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2009
Tampa,FL
I bought my little chuck about a month ago and bought 3 18350 batteries from MadVapes. I was able to vape about 2 days, going through each battery once, then putting on charger. After that, no more vaping at all, they wouldn't fire. I sent my baby back to Jeff who checked it out, said all was fine. When I got it back, it still wouldn't vape, though my atty was brand new, everything was clean, etc. I started to think maybe it was the batteries, even though they were glowing green on the charger. So, I went to Lowe's and bought 2 Ultra fire c-123's and popped one in. Back to vaping like a champ!! Jeff says he's had no problems with the 18350's.

Has anybody else had any issues with these batteries? I have a Little Chuck. I want to order more rechargables and I'm not sure I want to order from MadVapes again.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Shelbeethehmmrgirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Belle, West Virginia, United States
I am using Mad Vapes batteries in my Little Chuck with no issues. But I did have 18650 battery that does the same thing. The Protection tripped on it and it won't discharge that may be the issue you are running into contact Mad Vapes I am sure they will help you out.

LittleMissVapor

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2009
Tampa,FL
I am using Mad Vapes batteries in my Little Chuck with no issues. But I did have 18650 battery that does the same thing. The Protection tripped on it and it won't discharge that may be the issue you are running into contact Mad Vapes I am sure they will help you out.

Thanks. I'm not sure what you mean by the protection tripping and the battery discharging. The fact that they are green in the charger is odd.

I wrote to Madvapes, waiting for answer.

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
The batts are protected by a circuit that doesnt allow it to charge or overdischarge fast, that would result in venting, possibly exploding.....Ive had a few sets of batts that "trip" the circuit and wont allow me to vape.....It COULD be that, or it could be the atty center post gets pushed in too far, not allowing it to make contact properly...heres some info on testing that theory ;)

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...have-atty-works-1-device-but-not-another.html

jeffakamax

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
USA
www.ThagBuilt.com
I doubt is a connector issue if it works with a 123 primary.
I'm glad LMV tried another battery... I test EVERY unit before it goes into it's blankie... Makes me nuts when they arrive and I hear "it's not working". 99% of the time it's something stupid though like a batt. or an atty.

Nothing more fustrating than when I get one back, pop in a batt and atty. and it's vaping away. I swear I can hear them laughing at me... neener neener neener, gotcha!
BACK IN THE BOX, and knock it off!
Damn willful inanimate objects.

Eddie_Lee

Dec 5, 2009
Sonora, México.
i guess it was a bad batch from madvapes, i too bought batteries from Mark (Madvapes) and altho my batteries are fine and working great i didnt recieved a bottle of juice i ordered too, but well, it was 6 bucks and i dont have a clear date when i can go to USA to pick it up at the PO Box so i never complained :sleep:

I suggest you talk to Mark, good luck.

Shelbeethehmmrgirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Belle, West Virginia, United States
Isn't it terrible when inanimate objects get the best of you? :lol: I did not buy my 18650 battery at Mad Vapes but it does the same thing it show green in the Charger and 4.2v on a voltmeter but when I put in my chuck nothing. This happen after I dropped it. Hubby who is smarter than me in this type of stuff said I damaged the Protection Circiut board preventing the battery from discharging. So from what you have described I do believe it is bad batteries batch hopefully Mad Vapes will help you out.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
Isn't it terrible when inanimate objects get the best of you? :lol: I did not buy my 18650 battery at Mad Vapes but it does the same thing it show green in the Charger and 4.2v on a voltmeter but when I put in my chuck nothing. This happen after I dropped it. Hubby who is smarter than me in this type of stuff said I damaged the Protection Circiut board preventing the battery from discharging. So from what you have described I do believe it is bad batteries batch hopefully Mad Vapes will help you out.

Those protection circuits seem to go out a lot. It has happened on two of my batts. If you are adventurous (or desperate), you can pull the protection board off the bottom of the batt and still use it. That's what I did while waiting on new ones to arrive. I just keep them around for backups now.

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
Glad u got it worked out :thumbs:

HP-ur a daredevil! To be brave enuff to pull that PCB off, I tell ya...In my aray of luck Id pull it off to it exploding in my hand, haha...so-is it just "stuck" onto it? I ask bc Ive already exploded a few batts "experimenting" haha, but dont worry, I was **kind** of expecting it may happen...no volt meter so was testing by trial n error :lol: so when I felt em heat up, I already had back door open n just chucked (NO pun intended) them in the yard, lol...Hey, at least i was ready!!! For a meter being like 10$, ud think id have one but its kinda like toilet paper, u dont realize u need it til its too late :D

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
hehe. Sounds like you are the daredevil crash :p

Yeah, it's just stuck on the bottom with some soft glue. You can feel it through the wrapping. Once you pop it off, there's a thin metal strip that runs up the side of the batt to the top. I just clipped it back so it couldn't touch the bottom. Works fine now. But like I said, it's just there as a back up. I don't really use it daily or anything.
Although I am still running the orange 18350s in my little chuck. Never got around to getting the blue(protected) ones. I like to live life on the edge, makes it exciting :rolleyes:

As for the meter... the odd thing is, when the PC goes out it still reads voltage like there's nothing wrong with it. That's because the meter only need to draw a tiny little current to read the voltage, whereas the atty draws a huge current that pushes the PC close to it's limits even under normal circumstances. That's why the stacking to get 6V is always 'tripping' the PCs. It's just more current than they were designed for.

Last edited:

steven.rn

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Ohio
Those protection circuits seem to go out a lot. It has happened on two of my batts. If you are adventurous (or desperate), you can pull the protection board off the bottom of the batt and still use it. That's what I did while waiting on new ones to arrive. I just keep them around for backups now.

I bought 6 18650's from china inc. and 3 pcb's died.

Ripped off the coin from the bottom similiar to highping, cut the strip to the batt side, protected the strip with electrical tape. Vape on em everyday. I just change em out daily (the wife gets the protected ones.. god, what a good hubby I am).

Anyhow, I'm figuring that a fully charged 18650- no way I could "overvape" it in a single day. (well, I guess you could if you used it constantly- and I mean constantly). But I usually swap a batt anyway when I've probably only used 1/3 of it's capacity.

Your mileage may (*BOOM*) vary.....:D

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
hehe. Sounds like you are the daredevil crash :p

Yeah, it's just stuck on the bottom with some soft glue. You can feel it through the wrapping. Once you pop it off, there's a thin metal strip that runs up the side of the batt to the top. I just clipped it back so it couldn't touch the bottom. Works fine now. But like I said, it's just there as a back up. I don't really use it daily or anything.
Although I am still running the orange 18350s in my little chuck. Never got around to getting the blue(protected) ones. I like to live life on the edge, makes it exciting :rolleyes:

As for the meter... the odd thing is, when the PC goes out it still reads voltage like there's nothing wrong with it. That's because the meter only need to draw a tiny little current to read the voltage, whereas the atty draws a huge current that pushes the PC close to it's limits even under normal circumstances. That's why the stacking to get 6V is always 'tripping' the PCs. It's just more current than they were designed for.
GREAT info as usual HP! If you couldnt tell, Im a sucker for learning things :D I LOVE to learn and today this is what I learned :) Thanks again!

BTW- that was in my early modding days-Im a lil more educated now on circuitry-not THERE yet but, enuff to know what goes where and why...hey, nothing like learning the hard way rt?!?! ;)

Last edited:

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
I bought 6 18650's from china inc. and 3 pcb's died.

Ripped off the coin from the bottom similiar to highping, cut the strip to the batt side, protected the strip with electrical tape. Vape on em everyday. I just change em out daily (the wife gets the protected ones.. god, what a good hubby I am).

Anyhow, I'm figuring that a fully charged 18650- no way I could "overvape" it in a single day. (well, I guess you could if you used it constantly- and I mean constantly). But I usually swap a batt anyway when I've probably only used 1/3 of it's capacity.

Your mileage may (*BOOM*) vary.....:D

Good to know, A buddy of mine had one of his kinda flip out and I told him not to use it it may explode in his face...ooooops! :lol: Hopefully he wont see this thread before I tell him he threw away a good batt for no reason haha! I still use the orange ones in my lil guy too - my concern is more abt stacking the batts than anything....
Glad to know I wont blow up if the coin pops off ;)
Thanks Steven!

Houdini

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Las Vegas
Protection circuit removed. Mine was spot soldered on. Grip with some pliers and it pulled right off. This is a 10440 but I imagine they are all pretty much the same.

prot1.jpg

Lalesa

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles County, Ca
have you check the volts on a multimeter ????

I will have hubby check batts with multimeter tonight as it is an electrical thingy I know nothing about. I wonder if its more likely the charger than 4 batteries though. (but what do I know, I am electronically challenged :lol:)

Last edited:

LittleMissVapor

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2009
Tampa,FL
Wow! I have 4 - 18350's 1200 mAh that are bad? Not one of them lasts more than 4-5 hours of constant vaping. :( Should they be lasting a full day?

If I use it as a pacifier, the battery will last about 3 or 4 hours. If I'm at work,and can only vape on break and when driving, the battery will last a lot longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread