18650 Weird Marks Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina Wilk

May 17, 2018
I am using authentic (lion wholesale) Sony VTC5s and some Hohm life’s, on one of each of them I’ve noticed after taking them off my nitecore charger they have black dust/marks on the negative end. These marks wipe off with a swipe of my thumb and the batteries themselves have no other defects. Does anybody know what this black dust/mark could be after charging? I read something about maybe carbon scoring, I’m unsure. Is it safe to use?

Reactions: stols001

Kristina Wilk

May 17, 2018
You could have a capacitor going bad in your charger if you batteries were in correctly. Since its a Nitecore you may need a voltmeter to tell how many volts the batteries have charged. My guess is your batteries are safe but I would be concerned with the charger.
Ok cool I’ll look into one of those. I thought the nitecore regulates the charging since it’s an Intelli charger or something. Also the voltage on my regulated mod reads right now 4.6v. I know the sony VTC5s only go to 4.5, I just assumed the mod wasn’t reading correctly.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I’m not 100% sure what that means. But I think yes, I put the positive end at the top stable part where it says + and where the spring draws back and forth is where I put the negative end.

They are in correctly then. I had the same issue with a new Nitcore recently.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Ok cool I’ll look into one of those. I thought the nitecore regulates the charging since it’s an Intelli charger or something. Also the voltage on my regulated mod reads right now 4.6v. I know the sony VTC5s only go to 4.5, I just assumed the mod wasn’t reading correctly.

That is just what your mod is pulling from the battery with your settings and ohms. Right now you just concerned with is how much charge the the charger put in the battery you need a voltmeter, you want a 4.2v charge

• Useful

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona

Li-Ion batteries should NEVER be charged over 4.2 volts. Could the 4.6v you are seeing be the voltage to the coil not the battery's voltage.

Kristina Wilk

May 17, 2018
get you a cheap voltmeter under $10 and you will know for sure
Ok will do. Mod for some reason was reading my ohms at over 1 which I fixed back down to 0.40 and voltage is between 3.4-4.1 when I change wattage so should be ok. Never had a problem with charger it’s set at 4.2v hopefully it’s accurate otherwise I’m going to be a little upset lol

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Carbon scoring seems unlikely to me at the voltage and current levels available in a charger like that. I have used various models of Nitecore charger over the years and never had a problem. I sometimes see little carbon marks like that on my batteries, but generally when they come out of the mod, not from the charger. Unless the deposits get heavy, or don't wipe off with finger pressure, or actually pit the metal of the contact, no problem. It's just a resistive connection. Cleaning things up with a Q-tip and some alcohol usually fixes it.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I checked manual it says default settings are at 4.2v and needs manual setting for 4.35v

Ok.. let me go over the basics.. I think a lot of information has been discussed, but let me put it all in one post.

First, most lithium ion 18650 batteries are fully charged at 4.2 volts. There are a few that are fully charged at 4.35, but I've only seen like one or two out of 1000 that are like that, and they're not high amp batteries. Sony VTC batteries should be fully charged at 4.2 volts... and I would assume all the batteries you have should be charged at 4.2 volts.

Dark marks on the negative end of the battery are usually caused by sparking. This is usually done by a poor connection on that end, and sometimes by running the battery at a high amperage. I would check the negative connector on both your mod and your charger. Most of the time, the dark marks are due to usage in the mod, but can be rarely done on the charger. I would clean the connectors on both the positive and negative side of EVERYTHING.. both mod, charger, and lightly clean the contacts of the battery as well. For the mod, make sure the battery fits in snugly. if it's too easy to put the battery in, then you might have a poor connection on the battery which causes some arcing.

As far as the charger, what Nitecore charger do you have? what amperage does it charge with? I have a nitecore I4 that I have been using for over 5 years with no problem. It has a .750 amp per "region" two regions, and four battery slots. Slots 1 and 3 are one region, slots 2 and 4 are the second region. If I were to charge four batteries, each would be charging at .325 amps. if I charge 2 batteries, I can control what amperage I charge at depending on which bays I put it in. If I put two batteries If I put a battery in the first and second slot, then they would each be charging at .750 amp. If I put both batteries in, one in slot 1, and the second in slot 3, then each would be charging at .325 amps, since slot 1 and 3 are sharing the .750 amp limit on that region. For a married set of two batteries, I prefer to charge them on the same region, even though it takes longer. The limitations of the charger come into play when I want to charge one of my married three battery setups. I make sure I have a lone battery that needs to be charged to charge with the three battery setup so all bays charge at .325 amps. Sorry if that was confusing, but take the time to understand that, since marrying your batteries can really prolong the life... charge married batteries at the same time, and at the same amperage, and the batteries will last a long time. Half my batteries are over 2 years old and still hold a good enough charge for me.

Lastly, is the voltage reading on the mod. Batteries output whatever they can... they start at 4.2 volts, and can be discharged down to usually 3.4 to 3.6 volts. Regulated mods use capacitors, which hold a bit of a charge. If your battery is slightly drained, and outputting 4.0 volts, the mod stores some energy in the capacitors and draws from the battery. It pulses whatever voltage you want... So if you want 5 volts to come from your mod, it's not pulling 5 volts from the battery, it's still pulling whatever the battery gives, but it pulses 5 volts to the atomizer. So it shouldn't matter what the voltage says on the mod as far as battery drain is concerned.

If you have a charger that has settings to change the voltage for a full charge, keep it at 4.2 volts. My Nitecore I4 has no setting. If there is a toggle switch or setting, keep it at 4.2 volts.

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
I've seen carbon scoring on everything from 150Kv X-ray connectors, 440v relay contacts, and 3v logic connectors. It was always about the a bad connection causing sparking at the contact. Clean the contacts and make sure the spring on the charger is still strong enough to make a secure contact. Alcohol or even a rubber eraser work good at cleaning contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread